Under water camera

I think "ton of money" can be a bit subjective.

I just purchased a Pentax WG 3 yesterday for about $270. It is a 16 megapixel waterproof to 45 ft still and video camera. I had a family member that had one last week at the pool and after checking it out, and seeing the resulting video, and still shots, I thought it was a deal.

My current non-waterproof camera was only an 8 megapixel camera that we purchased for about the same price 4-5 years ago so considering the upgrade, we felt it was a deal.

Again, that may be well above, or well below your budget-maybe a target price range will help with further recommendations.

I was searching for one with those attributes a couple years ago. After a lot of research and reading lots of reviews on photograhy sites, etc., I ended up buying the Pentax WG-1. I got mine in purple, but they come in different colours. I think they have a newer model since mine. But here's what mine looks like:

pentax-wg1.jpg

I think "ton of money" can be a bit subjective.

I just purchased a Pentax WG 3 yesterday for about $270. It is a 16 megapixel waterproof to 45 ft still and video camera. I had a family member that had one last week at the pool and after checking it out, and seeing the resulting video, and still shots, I thought it was a deal.

My current non-waterproof camera was only an 8 megapixel camera that we purchased for about the same price 4-5 years ago so considering the upgrade, we felt it was a deal.

Again, that may be well above, or well below your budget-maybe a target price range will help with further recommendations.

That's funny, we were typing at the same time about the same camera. Yep, you have the newer model.:) Mine is "old", now. But I still love it!:p:D

I was searching for one with those attributes a couple years ago. After a lot of research and reading lots of reviews on photograhy sites, etc., I ended up buying the Pentax WG-1. I got mine in purple, but they come in different colours. I think they have a newer model since mine. But here's what mine looks like:

We were posting at the same time!

How funny!

OP that's two recco's for basically the same thing.

Here's a regular photo I took with the WG-1. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my underwater pics or videos stored on my computer. They're all on DH's and I need his help to get them onto mine. I'm kinda computer unsavvy.:o:p

But this pic gives an idea of how the camera works in point & shoot mode in bright light (and high wind - get a load of DH's crazy windblown hair:eek::p:rolleyes:).

newcamera298.jpg

pentax-wg1.jpg

This is what we have too. Great camera. Before that we had Olympus tough also a good camera

What is a good underwater camera that's doesn't cost tone of money, works and takes great pic above and below water.. Maybe even a video too ??

We have the Pentax WG-1 and its great. Its a good investment for a waterproof camera if you travel a lot. Its great to take it in the ocean or to be able to drop it and not break it.Most are shockproof too for 4 or 5 feet

This is what I have. Works great and the price can't be beat. Video turns out great also, used it while parasailing. Under water pictures are clear when the water is clear. Walmart for 52.99.

VistaQuest Blue VQ-9100 Waterproof Digital Camera with 12 Megapixels

My one complaint about the Pentax WG-1 after using it underwater and out of water, for pics and videos for a couple years now: it doesn't have automatic shut-off if you leave it on without touching it for awhile. I have forgotten that it was on a few times and killed my battery.:( If they haven't changed this in the later model, and you decide to buy it, just remember to turn the camera off after taking your pictures or video.;)

I have read a lot of good things about the Olympus waterproof series, the only real issue is that they are only good to something like 10 feet so scuba is out..

We only changed cameras because where the lens is located our fingers always find a way to get into the picture. On the Pentax camera its in the middle

Target has had that Pentax one on sale for $179 for the past couple of weeks. My local store hasn't been able to keep it in stock!

Dam I just looked And I think (can't remember ) it said 240.00 :confused:

Wished I saw it when it was 179 :)

Thanks everyone !

Dam I just looked And I think (can't remember ) it said 240.00 :confused:

Wished I saw it when it was 179 :)

Thanks everyone !

Amazon has a "bundle" that comes with a mini tripod, extra battery, screen protectors, a case, 8 gig card, etc for $246. I added the Wasabi plug in charger with 2 additional batteries for $19.99.

Without the external charger, you have to charge these batteries in camera.

Amazon has a "bundle" that comes with a mini tripod, extra battery, screen protectors, a case, 8 gig card, etc for $246. I added the Wasabi plug in charger with 2 additional batteries for $19.99.

Without the external charger, you have to charge these batteries in camera.

I just looked I can't find that deal :eek:

I have read a lot of good things about the Olympus waterproof series, the only real issue is that they are only good to something like 10 feet so scuba is out..

The Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS is waterproof up to 50 feet and is generally ranked by independent review sites like CNET and PCmag as the top point and shoot waterproof camera. It is a little more expensive at $329 but it gets the top votes almost across the board.

The Olympus Tough TG-830 iHS, is the midrange model (mid to high $200's) but is waterproof up to 33 feet... 10 meters, not 10 feet.

The lower end Olympus waterproof cameras such as the Olympus Tough TG-610 is in the mid to high $100's and is waterproof up to 16 feet (5 meters).

I am sure your correct about there being one that is only waterproof up to 10 feet, but ensure you look through all your options because most of the camera companies are increasing their depth as the new year models come out.

In the end, you can find decent quality at the lower end, but you will only get more depth at the higher price points.

The Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS is waterproof up to 50 feet and is generally ranked by independent review sites like CNET and PCmag as the top point and shoot waterproof camera. It is a little more expensive at $329 but it gets the top votes almost across the board.

The Olympus Tough TG-830 iHS, is the midrange model (mid to high $200's) but is waterproof up to 33 feet... 10 meters, not 10 feet.

The lower end Olympus waterproof cameras such as the Olympus Tough TG-610 is in the mid to high $100's and is waterproof up to 16 feet (5 meters).

I am sure your correct about there being one that is only waterproof up to 10 feet, but ensure you look through all your options because most of the camera companies are increasing their depth as the new year models come out.

In the end, you can find decent quality at the lower end, but you will only get more depth at the higher price points.

Just bought the TG-2 iHS for our upcoming cruise. Haven't had a chance to use it, but the rankings, (4-stars on B&H, with most negatives being pretty picky, or possibly one offs), and an f/2.0 on the wide end lens, should be excellent in the water. But, it is $329...

Thanks I did find it showed my husband only to find out he doesn't want one. He is to nervous about not dieing while scuba diving, to take pictures! He is certified but this is only his 4th dive...:eek:

So last question! Now that I'm only looking for a underwater digital camera for snorkeling for my kids to use maybe around $100or or under any idea??

Thanks for all the input!

I just bought the Olympus TG820 for $169

My runner-up was the Sony TX20.

They are both last year's models. I didn't find the value of paying extra $130 for GPS in the newer models, TG830 and TX30.

Plus, eventually if the camera leaks, I can treat as a disposable and not be too upset as if I'd lost a more expensive camera.

I just bought the Olympus TG820 for $169

My runner-up was the Sony TX20.

They are both last year's models. I didn't find the value of paying extra $130 for GPS in the newer models, TG830 and TX30.

Plus, eventually if the camera leaks, I can treat as a disposable and not be too upset as if I'd lost a more expensive camera.

I felt (and still feel) the same way about the GPS. The Pentax WG-1 was also available with GPS, for a little more $, but I didn't want GPS and didn't want to pay extra for it, so I got the cheaper model.:)

Archived