How is NCL for kids?

thehams

Hi there,

The husband and I have cruised a number of times, but this will be our first cruise with our 5yr old. We have cruised RCL and Carnival. I disliked Carnival and loved RCL. I've seen the kid stuff while being on RCL and I've researched a little as well.

I wanted to get your opinion on how NCL is for kids vs RCL.

TIA :)

My kids absolutely love Splash Academy. My youngest was 5 on first cruise. Loved it. They are now 7, 9 11 and have a ball. They go to many of the activities throughout the day and always love the 8-10:30?pm session ...always a date night. Great program!

Mine, 8 and 11, LOVE NCL's Splash Academy. Youngest started when she was 2. They liked RCL as well but LOVED Splash. NCL is so wonderful for kids! They do things throughout the ship not just in the actual club the whole time. Be prepared to get a late night ice cream cone from the buffet when you pick them up in the evenings lol! :D

Edited by luvmylilangels

I've been cruising with my kids on NCL since they were 2 and 4, then 3 and 5, then 5 and 7. They will be 6 and 8 on our next 9 day in the Baltics. That should be good enough to show how much my kids love it.

My kids have been cruising with NCL for 10 years (3 kids varying in age from 2 to 18). They love the kids club programs. They have made many friends and the counselors are very well trained.

Just be sure you are prepared for the opening/closing hours of the club. The clubs are closed for lunch and dinner which is a surprise to some.

We switched from primarily RCCL to NCL after our first NCL cruise because our daughter much preferred the NCL program. She started with it when she was 8 and loved it all the way through the teen club. She's VERY excited to be going back on an NCL cruise when she's 19 next January.

Hi there,

The husband and I have cruised a number of times, but this will be our first cruise with our 5yr old. We have cruised RCL and Carnival. I disliked Carnival and loved RCL. I've seen the kid stuff while being on RCL and I've researched a little as well.

I wanted to get your opinion on how NCL is for kids vs RCL.

TIA :)

We have a long cruise history with young kids. It is difficult to say what any given 5 year old may or may not enjoy but as others have posted, Splash is a very well run, very well organized academy. Our two (almost 4 and almost 6) really enjoy Splash but sometimes would rather stay with mom and dad or get bored with a specific activity and I've also witnessed other kids crying and begging to not go or to be picked up. I guess what I'm saying in a very long-winded way is that the academy is great and NCL really does seem to focus on / care about families, but you'll know best how your child will initially react to "strangers" - both playmates and staff as it's not for every child.

We totally plan, however, on seven date nights in a row on our upcoming cruise. 7pm - 10:30pm is mommy and daddy time!

Happy cruising!