Seaweed at Orient

swimgirl1

We have been to St. Maarten several times, but never to Orient Beach. Is seaweed and strong waves an issue there this year so far- we are heading out there mid-Feb? Went to Cancun last year- beaches & water were covered, couldn't even swim, it was so thick! Just want to be able to swim this year :D

I will be at Dawn Beach on Tuesday 1/12 -- I'll post a report here.

Awesome thanks so much.

I am also wandering how big the waves are. We went without kids last time. this time i have our kids.

Its been almost 14 years since we went.

Edited by brookeq

• 3 weeks later...

I will be cruising in a week and wonder about the seaweed problem in St. Thomas, St. Martin and St. Lucia. What are the best beaches for swimming without seaweed and crowds? I was thinking about Dawn in St. Martin, Coki in St. Thomas and Reduit in St. Lucia.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be cruising in a week and wonder about the seaweed problem in St. Thomas, St. Martin and St. Lucia. What are the best beaches for swimming without seaweed and crowds? I was thinking about Dawn in St. Martin, Coki in St. Thomas and Reduit in St. Lucia.

The presence of sargassum largely depends on whether or not there's been a storm through the area recently. We went to St. Maarten 5 years ago and Orient was completely trashed as there'd been a fairly major storm come through a day or two prior. This past October there'd been a smaller storm so there was some sargassum but it wasn't as bad as 5 years ago. As best I can tell with St. Maarten the sargassum affects eastern-facing beaches more. Dawn is an eastern-facing beach. Again though, from what I've heard from the locals it's worse when there's been a storm. As for St. Thomas, I've not been to Coki but I've been to Magen's Bay many a time and have never had a problem with it there - you're well within a cove so you should be fine.

At St Thomas now, have been to Coki beach twice last summer, rocky in some spots, can get pretty crowded but overall good options, can snorkel from the beach. Don't care for Magens. Trying out Emerald/Lindbergh this time, nice spot, not really crowded, no seaweed problem, limited umbrellas, hard to shaded spots if no umbrellas.