Getting to Grand Case

Project_gal

We stayed a week in Grand Case in January prior to our cruise. We rented a car from Hertz at the airport, drove to Grand Case and stayed and then returned the car to the cruise terminal before getting on the ship.

Our other option was to take a taxi but we wanted the freedom of a car since we were staying a week. Funny thing is we only used the car one day besides the drive to get on the cruise!

Grand Case is very walkable if you stay on the beach or near restaurant row. With only one day your best bet might be taking a taxi. I will say driving through Marigot took quite a while. The traffic was crazy when we drove through on arrival and also the day we drove down there to sightsee. There was an accident on the way back to Grand Case that had traffic at a stand still for over 30 minutes or more. It was quicker going from Grand Case through Orient Bay to Philipsburg when we left than Marigot to Grand Case that time!

We stayed a week in Grand Case in January prior to our cruise. We rented a car from Hertz at the airport, drove to Grand Case and stayed and then returned the car to the cruise terminal before getting on the ship.

Our other option was to take a taxi but we wanted the freedom of a car since we were staying a week. Funny thing is we only used the car one day besides the drive to get on the cruise!

Grand Case is very walkable if you stay on the beach or near restaurant row. With only one day your best bet might be taking a taxi. I will say driving through Marigot took quite a while. The traffic was crazy when we drove through on arrival and also the day we drove down there to sightsee. There was an accident on the way back to Grand Case that had traffic at a stand still for over 30 minutes or more. It was quicker going from Grand Case through Orient Bay to Philipsburg when we left than Marigot to Grand Case that time!

I've been to St. Maarten/St. Martin several times for the day by way of cruise ship, but this will be my first time staying over night in St. Martin. For us, we are doing two nights before the cruise in Grand Case and then the day we get off the ship, the one night in Philipsburg. I was interested in hearing you talk about the traffic in Marigot since I guess we had lucked out when we were there last, BUT I do hear now that it can get pretty out of control and bog you down. The airport is the area they say is REALLY bad, especially if the bridge is up. So if you don't know if there is going to be a hold up in Marigot...in normal times, would you still drive from PHilipsburg by way of Marigot or might you go around by way of Orient? I imagine that we will be doing a bit of exploring anyway, but won't have nearly the time that you had before the cruise. That must have been so nice.

Project Gal....as I've said, I have been to St. Maarten a few times by way of cruise ship and I ALWAYS had a rental car even just for the day. It really would probably boil down to what is most comfortable for YOU. But yes, you could take a taxi which I know many have done or else rent a car...but it's really about what you would like. Both would be available options.

We landed at the airport on a Saturday night at 5:30 pm. After picking up the rental car we headed straight to Grand Case via Marigot. It was like going through rush hour traffic almost the entire way to Grand Case. And there was at least one or two accidents pulled off to the side on the way up. It was dark by the time we arrived.

On that Friday we drove to Marigot in the late morning with no issues. Walked around and shopped a little and headed back to Grand Case. There was an accident way up the road that had us at a standstill/turtle speed for at least 30+ minutes. It was a good thing I didn't need a bathroom break!

The road between the airport and Grand Case is just like all the other roads in St Martin/St Maarten: one lane in each direction. There are no shortcuts so if you hit traffic or accidents you could potentially be in trouble.

Leaving Grand Case around 11 am and stopping at Orient Beach before heading to the cruise ship for embarkation seemed to be less hassle although we did miss a turn coming into Philisburg. Plus I think the drive was prettier. We drove by the butterfly farm and everything was much closer than I thought it would be. I don't want to steer you wrong but I might go by way of Orient.

And staying on the beach in Grand Case for a week before our cruise was a dream!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We landed at the airport on a Saturday night at 5:30 pm. After picking up the rental car we headed straight to Grand Case via Marigot. It was like going through rush hour traffic almost the entire way to Grand Case. And there was at least one or two accidents pulled off to the side on the way up. It was dark by the time we arrived.

On that Friday we drove to Marigot in the late morning with no issues. Walked around and shopped a little and headed back to Grand Case. There was an accident way up the road that had us at a standstill/turtle speed for at least 30+ minutes. It was a good thing I didn't need a bathroom break!

The road between the airport and Grand Case is just like all the other roads in St Martin/St Maarten: one lane in each direction. There are no shortcuts so if you hit traffic or accidents you could potentially be in trouble.

Leaving Grand Case around 11 am and stopping at Orient Beach before heading to the cruise ship for embarkation seemed to be less hassle although we did miss a turn coming into Philisburg. Plus I think the drive was prettier. We drove by the butterfly farm and everything was much closer than I thought it would be. I don't want to steer you wrong but I might go by way of Orient.

And staying on the beach in Grand Case for a week before our cruise was a dream!

Did you leave your luggage in your car while at Orient before embarkation? If so that's a very risky thing to do on St. Maarten.

Yes we did. We had a hatchback type car and had put our luggage in the car while in our underground parking space at the condo we stayed in at Grand Case. There was nothing in the car while we were on Orient Beach and we were parked in a very populated area. I think you just need to be smart just like in any other place you might visit or live in.

We land at SMX around 2ish if my memory is right and plan to go right over to Grand Case to check in. From there, I imagine we will go the way of Marigot and just go with the flow. If there is lots of traffic, at least we aren't in a hurry. The times I've driven myself around the loop of St. Martin, I always seem to go counter clockwise from the ship but I imagine I will make the loop at least once and will plan to go around clockwise so I have the view of coming in to Philipsburg from the other side. This will be our first time staying over night on the island and looking forward to it. Always been drawn to Grand Case, but when you are rushed by the one day only from a cruise ship, there isn't a lot of time for any place, so this is going to be nice. Did you eat at any restaurants that you were extremely impressed by while in Grand Case?

Our two favorites were La Auberge (French) and Spiga (Italian). We didn't have reservations at either place and got lucky both evenings. At La Auberge we went about 7 - 7:15 and got one of the last tables. At Spiga we went after the parade on Tuesday night and got in without any issues.

La Auberge was wonderful from the start. The owner seated us and took our order and checked on us several times. Very nice and friendly. We sat outside and watched the people go by. I had the best duck I've ever had and my husband's Dover sole was delicious. The plate presentations were beautiful and the sides served were creative and yummy. Desserts were fabulous as well.

Spiga is just off the street with all the restaurants on it. It was recommended to us by the couple we sat next to at La Auberge. It is a beautiful restaurant with delicious Italian food. I had the homemade pappardelle with sausages and peppers and my husband had Cioppino. Both were wonderful and the desserts there were amazing. Our waiter was outstanding and didn't rush us at all.

We ate at several other restaurants but these two were the best and I highly recommend either one! There is a crepe "food truck" by the bridge on restaurant road that makes homemade caramel butter that was wonderful on the crepes. They're open 11 am - late at night so you should try that too. And there is also a French bakery that we visited every morning for various pastries and quiche [emoji4] Much better than Sarafinia's in Marigot.

Our two favorites were La Auberge (French) and Spiga (Italian). We didn't have reservations at either place and got lucky both evenings. At La Auberge we went about 7 - 7:15 and got one of the last tables. At Spiga we went after the parade on Tuesday night and got in without any issues.

La Auberge was wonderful from the start. The owner seated us and took our order and checked on us several times. Very nice and friendly. We sat outside and watched the people go by. I had the best duck I've ever had and my husband's Dover sole was delicious. The plate presentations were beautiful and the sides served were creative and yummy. Desserts were fabulous as well.

Spiga is just off the street with all the restaurants on it. It was recommended to us by the couple we sat next to at La Auberge. It is a beautiful restaurant with delicious Italian food. I had the homemade pappardelle with sausages and peppers and my husband had Cioppino. Both were wonderful and the desserts there were amazing. Our waiter was outstanding and didn't rush us at all.

We ate at several other restaurants but these two were the best and I highly recommend either one! There is a crepe "food truck" by the bridge on restaurant road that makes homemade caramel butter that was wonderful on the crepes. They're open 11 am - late at night so you should try that too. And there is also a French bakery that we visited every morning for various pastries and quiche [emoji4] Much better than Sarafinia's in Marigot.

Sounds like so many great choices for food. We are only in Grand Case for two nights pre cruise, so just no way to get to all the wonderful choices, but you've just added to our confusion. Hahahaha. Thank you so very much. These all sound great.

We are thinking of heading to Rainbow Cafe at Grand Case and hanging at the beach there during our cruise stop at St. Marten..Has anyone been there??? Any idea of how much a taxi will be to get there??? Anyone have any favorite beach bars at Grand Case???

We are thinking of heading to Rainbow Cafe at Grand Case and hanging at the beach there during our cruise stop at St. Marten..Has anyone been there??? Any idea of how much a taxi will be to get there??? Anyone have any favorite beach bars at Grand Case???

It's interesting you mentioned Rainbow Cafe, since I have it on my list for next week when I get there, but it was because I heard someone talking about their prime rib for two at dinner time and they did such a good job with detail, it made me want to go. But I haven't been yet, so I can't really comment on their bar, but I am hoping that someone will come along that can answer your question since I too would be very interested. We will be in Grand Case for two nights pre cruise and leave next week, so hopefully you will get a response soon. Enjoy your time on the island. It's a great one.

Gosh, I feel like I'm hogging all the questions lately but since I wish I was "still on island time" here goes!

We stayed at a condo named Blue Calypso located on the beach in Grand Case inbetween the Rainbow Cafe and Captain Frenchy's. It was the best beach and the best location. Every morning I would go out on my balcony (with my breakfast from the French Bakery located around the corner) and watch both restaurants setting up their loungers and John from the Rainbow would wave and say hello. We would take our chairs down (although we did use Rainbows loungers one day) and set up on the beach. We met so many people that came to "our" beach for the day from all over the island because they felt like it was the best beach. We watched many motor boats come over and have send their folks to have lunch at one of the places near us. The water is just beautiful there and we would take our floaties out and hold onto one of the buoys and just lounge in the water :)

We ate at the Rainbow Cafe on several occasions since they were our neighbor. Mostly lunch/appetizers and one dinner. They make a mean champagne mojito too! The food was good and an easy choice for us when we didn't want to walk too far or eat too much or just needed a hamburger. I will say they were very nice and because they have a VERY late night party on Monday night, they offered us a free drink with lunch and our neighbors breakfast on Tuesday.

So if you go to the beach in Grand Case located next to the Rainbow Cafe and Captain Frenchy's, I would recommend the Rainbow Cafe for their friendly staff and good food.

Here is a photo from our condo balcony looking straight out to the water. The Rainbow is on the right with the red loungers and Captain Frenchy's to the left with the yellow ones.

a2a425132efa759d5681b34415e37eb1.jpg

Hey Dancer - my husband and I will also be stopping during our cruise - we are on Carnival Liberty. I'm also researching Grand Case versus Orient Bay for the day in port. We could share a cab over if you're there the same date. He and I both are horrible foodies so Grand Case is in the lead ! LOL

Edited by beachbum2016

Gosh, I feel like I'm hogging all the questions lately but since I wish I was "still on island time" here goes!

We stayed at a condo named Blue Calypso located on the beach in Grand Case inbetween the Rainbow Cafe and Captain Frenchy's. It was the best beach and the best location. Every morning I would go out on my balcony (with my breakfast from the French Bakery located around the corner) and watch both restaurants setting up their loungers and John from the Rainbow would wave and say hello. We would take our chairs down (although we did use Rainbows loungers one day) and set up on the beach. We met so many people that came to "our" beach for the day from all over the island because they felt like it was the best beach. We watched many motor boats come over and have send their folks to have lunch at one of the places near us. The water is just beautiful there and we would take our floaties out and hold onto one of the buoys and just lounge in the water :)

We ate at the Rainbow Cafe on several occasions since they were our neighbor. Mostly lunch/appetizers and one dinner. They make a mean champagne mojito too! The food was good and an easy choice for us when we didn't want to walk too far or eat too much or just needed a hamburger. I will say they were very nice and because they have a VERY late night party on Monday night, they offered us a free drink with lunch and our neighbors breakfast on Tuesday.

So if you go to the beach in Grand Case located next to the Rainbow Cafe and Captain Frenchy's, I would recommend the Rainbow Cafe for their friendly staff and good food.

I for one want you to keep "hogging conversations". You have given me SOOOOOO much info to work with, so I'm loving it. We will only be in Grand Case two nights pre cruise and yet I have a list of about 15 restaurants I want to go to there. Hmmmmm.... looks like I will have to go back and stay longer next time. It sounds like you had a wonderful location and glad to hear that you enjoyed the beach there so much, but with great beaches come crowds, so it is what it is.

Is the french bakery you are talking about...is it Le Moulin by chance? I have that one on my list, so wondered if it is that one or if you found another great one?