Japan Ports

Tara Jane

Hi, We will be stopping at the following ports on our upcoming Japan cruise on Diamond princess -

Kagoshima

Miyazaki (Aburatsu)

Kochi

Shimizu

I am wondering if anyone has been to these ports particularly with princess and are able to give me an idea of what to see and do and also if they were provided with transfers from the ship to somewhere in the town.

We usually like to DIY but not having much luck with info on these ports. Kagoshima I think I have planned, arrive 2pm and midnight departure so thinking of going over to the island and the bus around it. Buying the 1000yen pass if we have time will do a lap on the bus around Kagoshima itself.

Thanks so much for any advice. Have searched trip advisor but seem to only get info in Japanese and translation isnt all that great.

Hi, We will be stopping at the following ports on our upcoming Japan cruise on Diamond princess -

Kagoshima

Miyazaki (Aburatsu)

Kochi

Shimizu

I am wondering if anyone has been to these ports particularly with princess and are able to give me an idea of what to see and do and also if they were provided with transfers from the ship to somewhere in the town.

We usually like to DIY but not having much luck with info on these ports. Kagoshima I think I have planned, arrive 2pm and midnight departure so thinking of going over to the island and the bus around it. Buying the 1000yen pass if we have time will do a lap on the bus around Kagoshima itself.

Thanks so much for any advice. Have searched trip advisor but seem to only get info in Japanese and translation isnt all that great.

We did a cruise out of Japan with Celebrity and the only port you listed that we did was Shimizu.

We did a tour that is explained in my review of our trip and cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

We loved Japan. Now sure why Princess picked those ports, they tend to be smaller, more out of the way ports.

Thank you, loved reading your report.

Yes I wonder just why they chose those ports but having traveled a lot around Japan DIY we were happy to go somewhere a bit different. We are going on the cruise for the cruise and then having 2 weeks travelling by rail. Just finding it hard to find details on the smaller ports.

I've been to all these places on land trips. You are fortunate to be going to such excellent locations, though a cruise may not give you enough time to fully enjoy them.

Kagoshima has major historical sites and associations (the true story behind the The Last Samurai, for example), Kochi has one of the 12 original castles and much else, Shimizu has Tokugawa's original shrine and views of Fuji-san. Miyazaki is not too far from Takachiho (Japanese foundation myth) and has a fake but fun Easter Island Moai site at Sun Messe.

http://www.japan-guide.com is the main site for research about Japan.

Thankyou someotherguy. Good to hear they are interesting ports. Japan is full of temples, shrines and castles. Taking 7 others with me I just hope they don't get templed out, its hard to find the happy medium between temple overload and ensuring they get to see the best of the best.

We did a cruise out of Japan with Celebrity and the only port you listed that we did was Shimizu.

We did a tour that is explained in my review of our trip and cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

We loved Japan. Now sure why Princess picked those ports, they tend to be smaller, more out of the way ports.

Hi 4774papa

I will be doing the same Japan cruise in April 2018. Thank you ever so much for such a wonderful detailed review. I have just printed it out and will be able to plan all my tours from your review. I have quite a few cruises coming up so this will take the pressure of me when planning. Very much appreciated and loved reading about your travels. Cheers, Denise :)