Coopers Island Reserve

TardisDance

My plan is to head to Hamilton on day 1 and see the sights there (cathedral, national gallery, fort?) and get lunch. Then, head off to Spittal Pond.

On day 2, I want to go to St George, see the Unfinished Church, Fort St. Catherine, and maybe Alexander Battery park and Tabacco bay.

However, now I'm reading that Coopers Island Reserve might be worth visiting and then I could see St. Davids lighthouse. All of this on day 2 I'm just not sure if I have enough time. I'm not much of a beach person, so I could take Tabacco bay off (I could still see clearwater beach at St David), and Alexander Battery (I'll get my fill of forts).

Has anyone been to Coopers Reserve before? I thought maybe I could get there with the new St David hop on, hop off bus, but I haven't seen a route map posted or the schedule. I'm heading there in Oct, if this makes a difference with schedule.

Does this seem doable? So much to see, so little time!

Edited by TardisDance

• 4 weeks later...

There have been recent reports that 1 of the buses for the HOHO got in a wreck and it was causing long lines and unsatisfied people using the transportation.

When we were there in June, we used it (which was before they added the St David route) and it worked wonderful for us (we did Tobacco, then St Catherine, then Achilles, then the Unfinished Church that day).

This time we are returning in October and wanted to try out the St David area but now I'm wondering about it since this new information has came up about not having enough vehicles.

They had 2 buses running in June. It's the same buses that do the St George area that does the St David area. They are just rotating. The St George bus was running about every 15-30 minutes. The St David bus (same bus of course) runs every hour...what the transportation service told us, and it was reported on here that the "every hour" consisted of (if I remember correctly) every __:50 o'clock on the hour. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that time).

Here is the route map they sent to me:

st%20david%20hoho%20bus%202-L.jpg

St%20david%20HOHO%20bus-L.jpg

Thanks, this is helpful. I thought it was going to be $6 for each HoHo bus, so I was going to try walking to Fort Catherine instead. On another site, a man in his 60's said it was easy. I certainly hope I can handle it, but if it's included anyway . . .

I saw the other post about the delays. I was planning on buying a book of tickets in Hamilton for day 1. I should have enough for day 2 to take #6 if the wait is bad. I hope not!

Cooper's Island is lovely. Have been 3 or 4 times the last few years for walks. Will try and post a few photos which were taken the first time I was there in March 2013

Wow, those pictures are beautiful!!! I can't wait to see this place. :)