Trouble letting go

spazzy216

So I have been stalking this forum for so long and its finally my turn as my fiance and I got engaged this Christmas Eve. I'm super excited because we are booked and are having our embarkation ceremony/reception next spring on the breakaway. So many things have come together the way I wanted, the date is perfect as I am a center director at a daycare and our spring break is the week we are sailing and its the breakaway which i am super excited about as it is one of Norwegians newer ships. That being said I'm having such a hard time letting go of other expectations that I had.

I am trying to remind myself that letting go of some of the control is a part of and some of the reason to have a cruise wedding but its hard to not be a little disappointed.

These details are small but we were wanting to do a signature drink that they no longer do. The cake choices are not really exciting us and im a little bummed that we don't have the option to do luncheon on an embarkation wedding.

Anyone else have any frustrations to share and some advice on letting go of these little details???

Thanks in advance!!

I'm so sorry so many of the things you wanted have changed. Giving up control is a big requirement for cruise weddings, but it's all worth it in the end.

Just wondering, if you're set on these things have you considered having your wedding with another line? I know some of the other lines (mainly Carnival) have luncheons, signature drinks, and expanded cake options.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

So I have been stalking this forum for so long and its finally my turn as my fiance and I got engaged this Christmas Eve. I'm super excited because we are booked and are having our embarkation ceremony/reception next spring on the breakaway. So many things have come together the way I wanted, the date is perfect as I am a center director at a daycare and our spring break is the week we are sailing and its the breakaway which i am super excited about as it is one of Norwegians newer ships. That being said I'm having such a hard time letting go of other expectations that I had.

I am trying to remind myself that letting go of some of the control is a part of and some of the reason to have a cruise wedding but its hard to not be a little disappointed.

These details are small but we were wanting to do a signature drink that they no longer do. The cake choices are not really exciting us and im a little bummed that we don't have the option to do luncheon on an embarkation wedding.

Anyone else have any frustrations to share and some advice on letting go of these little details???

Thanks in advance!!

I loved our wedding day- but I will say letting go of the little things before hand would have helped my emotional state immensely. The cake will be fine. You don't want too many signature drinks before photos anyway and you have picked a terrific time of year. As Jimmy Buffet said "Breathe in, Breathe out, and Move on". You will have a beautiful day!!!

I did consider Carnival as there seem to be a lot of positives with their wedding packages but we really enjoy Norwegian and felt that with our family coming on the trip we would be able to escape a little more on Norwegian. Also very excited to go to Bermuda. That being said I am a little surprised especially with the cost that they haven't stepped up their game a little bit due to what the other ships seem to offer.

In the end I know I will be happy and all of these minor details will be a distant memory but for now I have over a year to get all of my bridezilla out haahaa

You will have an amazing time!! We also did an embarkation day wedding on a Bermuda cruise (although ours was on the Dawn) and it was just perfect for us. It will be here before you know it. We just booked a 2 bedroom suite back on the Dawn for next year which we will be sharing with my parents and our son who will be 2 then. I am now looking forward to spending our 4th anniversary on the ship we got married on!! Maybe we will do our anniversary dinner in the same restaurant we took everyone to for our "reception" the night after our wedding :)

Thanks in advance!!

I am getting married on the Getaway in December. If you ever want to feel good about it just read about people who are having such a hard time with planning. You don't have to do any of that. Mother in law wants some crazy DJ at the wedding? Tough luck it is not allowed. Aunt Betty really wants some weird thing? Oh well not an option. Cousin Stevie is a wedding photographer, you should hire him for your ceremony. Sorry the photographer is provided.

It's hard sometimes. But remember, the important part is at the end of day...you marrying your spouse. Nothing else really matters in comparison.

The wedding is one day. The marriage is MANY days.

Best of luck!

Hi, I'm getting married on February 12, 2016 on the Norwegian Breakaway! It's a 2 day weekend cruise. I plan to have approx. 30-35 guests of which 20 are sailing. I'm so excited! But it is a little frustration because Royal Ocean Events doesn't give much detail. It's driving me crazy that won't know the exact location of the wedding ceremony and reception.

Thanks in advance!!

I'm right there with you. We are booked for next Spring on Carnival and they take care of just about everything so I have shifted my focus to the things that I am in control of and making sure that I go above and beyond on those items since I am in control of them.

I am going all out and doing "Handmade" (although I'm having them professionally printed) passport invitations. They require a lot of effort to be sure to include all of the details but not too much.

I have also decided to do OOT bags and am still in the process of researching which bags I want and what to include in them along with personalized favors for the guests.

The other thing that is taking up some time is the floral arrangements. I am not crazy on what Carnival offers with their package and found that their prices to upgrade are pretty steep considering I'm not really getting to design what I wanted. So I'm branching out and checking Etsy for ideas and looking at prices of soft touch silk flowers. I may decide to make my own or I may just work with someone on Etsy to have them make some for me with exactly what I have in mind.

We are having a reception on embarkation day, but since it is so short and not all of our guests will be sailing with us we have also decided to have a nice big rehearsal dinner near the port the night before so that we can celebrate with everyone. Even planning a smaller event like this might help to keep you busy because you can add as many details to that event as you'd like.

Just remember... the day is ultimately about saying "I do" to your best friend. The details will hardly matter on that day so don't stress about it.

I'm getting married on the Norwegian breakaway February 12, 2016. Here are some additional things that I did find out.

- That cakes can be customized with different designs and colors(except metallic and black colors) but it has to be pre-approved by the baker. You are not allowed to bring your own cake. Each tier can have it's own flavor.

- My reception time can be extended to 2 hours since my departure time is at 6:00pm.

- You can put in request for your reception and ceremony locations but it won't get approved until like 2 months before the wedding.

- The photography a la carte price is $299 per hour , and the DVD is $499.

I'm getting married on the Norwegian breakaway February 12, 2016. Here are some additional things that I did find out.

- That cakes can be customized with different designs and colors(except metallic and black colors) but it has to be pre-approved by the baker. You are not allowed to bring your own cake. Each tier can have it's own flavor.

- My reception time can be extended to 2 hours since my departure time is at 6:00pm.

- You can put in request for your reception and ceremony locations but it won't get approved until like 2 months before the wedding.

- The photography a la carte price is $299 per hour , and the DVD is $499.

Those are pretty good options! CCL is a bit different. We don't have the option of extending the reception but I would do it if I could! And with Carnival you don't get your "location call" until about 2 weeks prior to the cruise! This is just one of the details that I've just had to let go :)