To Take the camera Gear or Not... (Tiki??)

ducklite

I have been going back and forth for months on this. Should I take a DSLR or not? I would probably want to take a Nikon D300 with a Nikon18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR II with a polarizing filter. I typically use a grip, but would be willing to leave it at home. Of course I'd also bring a dry bag.

Pros would be incredible photos. Cons would be having to keep track of it, potential for damage/loss, extra weight in my carry on, etc.

I guess my question is simply, how many photo ops in dry conditions will I really have where a P&S won't do the trick?

PS--I have a digital underwater camera that takes decent photos that I'll be bringing along for certain.

I have some very expensive/nice DSLR cameras but never have taken any of them. However, because I'm really now into photography I will bring several pieces of equipment with me next time. I help out with my BH's videography wedding service but photography is really something I've gotten fond of. With that said I think you need to weigh out your pros and cons.

Yes you will have several opportunities to take dry land pictures.

Have you thought of a good bridge camera. The convenience of a P&S but most of the goodies found on a good DSLR. I recently purchased a Sony RX10. Small but what options and the lens is nice glass. I think it is one of the better cameras out there for those that are camera buffs but don't want to drag around a bunch of gear. A big difference between my RX10 and my big Canon DSLR with 25-200mm lens, then of course I would feel compelled to bring along a 100mm Macro plus a tripod plus some off camera flash ...... then I would want to bring an umbrella or 2 ......... you get the picture.

What are you there to 'focus' on? Unless it's to make photography your primary function I would just bring along a bridge camera plus something like a GoPro 3+ with underwater cover which I also bring. I purchased the rear LCD monitor for the GoPro plus the larger housing, love it!

Which one would you rather haul around? The Sony bridge camera in the middle will pretty much do what the Canon will do except when your going to take speedlight pictures. The Canon EX600 system is the top dog in that department but really, how many night shots are you going to take on a cruise. The Sony does have a fill light.

cameras-800_zps0a5de782.jpg

BTW, one last ting. All of the pictures I've uploaded were taken with a very old P&S, 900KB was the best resolution I shot at. Both the Sony & the Canon shown shoot at 20 megapixels, I'm looking forward to my next trip so I can take some really nice pictures with high resolution.

My point is ............ you can still take a good picture with a cheap P&S ;)

I own four DSLR bodies (D70, D100, D300, D3X) and assorted lenses, not really intersted in a "bridge" camera, as I already have a small fortune invested and prefer to functionality of my better cameras. (Not interested in bringing the D3X, I only use that for wedding and studio work.)

I have a feeling this will become a game day decision. Thanks for your input.

IMO the Sony RX10 will out perform all the cameras you mention with the exception of the D3X which is a very fine body, I'll take it :)

I'm talking about when you have a general purpose walk around lens on the body. As you have so much invested in glass I would understand why you don't want to change manufacture .......

BTW, I'm getting a 5D Mach III because I now have a need for full frame. I find with my 1.6X cropped 70D that I'm limited when I'm taking pictures during a wedding service when you can't use any flash. Nothing better than a full frame with a 1.2 85mm lens for that type of situation.

I've invested a bunch in flashes (3 - EX600's) so I'm going to stick with Canon but you have a very nice full frame ........... I'm jealous

For what it's worth, I brought my D7000 with two lenses and took them everywhere - yes even on water excursions. I used a couple LokSak bags to put them in my lightweight backpack in case of splashing or rain. They remained on the boat while snorkeling. Of course my camera isn't quite as pricey but I do enjoy the picture quality over our P&S.

Maybe you ditch the grip and settle on one or two lenses and bring in your carry-on. If you plan on bringing everything carry-on that may be a problem.

Liz

Edited by loungelizard61

Actually if you go with an 28-80 or 80-200 f/2.8 you will get full frame in low light with no problem. I do a lot of work in the entertainment industry where flash is never allowed, and my workhorse is the 80-200. My husband reminded me that I have a CoolPix P&S that ended up in his briefcase almost two years ago that I had forgotten about. Maybe I'll take that and the underwater and be done with it.

Actually if you go with an 28-80 or 80-200 f/2.8 you will get full frame in low light with no problem. I do a lot of work in the entertainment industry where flash is never allowed, and my workhorse is the 80-200. My husband reminded me that I have a CoolPix P&S that ended up in his briefcase almost two years ago that I had forgotten about. Maybe I'll take that and the underwater and be done with it.

Interesting that you should say that. I used my Sony RX10 at a wedding a month ago because of the available light. The RX10 has a constant 2.8 25-200mm, was a bit tricky with the cropped sensor but it made it happen.

BTW, I'm a real estate broker by trade but I'm my BH's second video shooter on the weekends but we are going to start shooting stills, thus the 5D Mark III. The RX10, works well for video in close quarters with an LED fill light such as cake cutting or tossing the garter .....

http://www.zelleolsonstudios.com

Took this one yesterday with the RX10. You can see it in it's full resolution ....

=58179105&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0"]http://s217.photobucket.com/user/zero350/media/HoneyCreeper_zps51a558ab.jpg.html?filters[user]=58179105&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Edited by Tikiintahiti

On eight trips, I have taken my D300 with battery grip that makes it about the size of a D3. I carry it and five lenses in a Tamrac Cyberpack which also has a slot for my laptop.

The backpack is way heavy (>20lbs) and on our last trip (this New Years), I shot more with the GoPro Hero 3 than I did with the D300.

Like Tiki, I have considered not taking the DSLR, but I am afraid I would miss the shot of a lifetime (like the Greenflash shot in 2008).

Edited by MotuIslander

Motu,

Don't you just love the GoPro?

Takes a good picture and I have my 2 synced with my iphone so the menu is easy to use plus you can shot pictures remotely or video. I love taking time lapse on the GoPro.

BTW, I shoot the GoPro at 60p to help with the movement when I'm snorkeling. ;)

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Duck- I'd take it! You can see in my review what DH brought and we carried on from Bos to LAX and back (not on ATN due to weight but his gear was all in his backpack and I carried his "spare clothes" in mine.)

The scenery from the ship is amazing and you will have so much more control with a real zoom lens and exposure settings (for sunsets) vs the P&S. We carried a Nikon AW for wet/active excursions, and that was fine and "less" stuff to keep track of on the beach, on the bike, in the water etc. If you are the type who finds fussing with the SLR distracts you from the great stuff to do and see, (like I do:o) just bring your P&S, but if you are like my DH or TIKI, and making photos is an activity you enjoy doing, then you will find some amazing subjects in FP and you will want to have a good kit with all your "tools".

Best of luck!! Do you sail soon?? Youve been querying for months!!! I hope this trip is actually going to happen for you soon!:D Enjoy!!

Edited by Familygoboston

What to take, is a question I frequently have. Of course the answer is highly personal. It all depends on the value you place on high quality photos, vs the enjoyment of your vacation, peace of mind etc. I would guess that with the equipment you have, quality pictures are important. If scenery photos are your thing, the opportunities in the Society Islands are amazing, and especially if you make big enlargements, and do what they call pixel peeping. OTOH, quality compositions can be gotten from a cell phone camera if one doesn't enlarge too much, and pics are primarily viewed on a screen. My suggestion would be to bring your gear, but also bring a quality enthusiast mirrorless such as one of these:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6489685206/enthusiast-compact-camera-roundup

Some time ago I decided that the camera I have with me is the best one to have, and got the Fujifilm X10. Many of these take wonderful photos, and don't weigh you down.

What to take, is a question I frequently have. Of course the answer is highly personal. It all depends on the value you place on high quality photos, vs the enjoyment of your vacation, peace of mind etc. I would guess that with the equipment you have, quality pictures are important. If scenery photos are your thing, the opportunities in the Society Islands are amazing, and especially if you make big enlargements, and do what they call pixel peeping. OTOH, quality compositions can be gotten from a cell phone camera if one doesn't enlarge too much, and pics are primarily viewed on a screen. My suggestion would be to bring your gear, but also bring a quality enthusiast mirrorless such as one of these:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6489685206/enthusiast-compact-camera-roundup

Some time ago I decided that the camera I have with me is the best one to have, and got the Fujifilm X10. Many of these take wonderful photos, and don't weigh you down.

And it goes full circle ............

The 10 cameras reviewed are rated ........... which one has the highest rating?

Well the RX10 of course which is what I suggested in the beginning ;)

The Fujifilm X10 is also a good choice but the RX10 outperforms it in almost every category. However, I think the 2 cameras are like comparing apples to oranges and each has it's niche.

Of course, you are right the RX10 is a fine camera, I think most of those on the list would suit our OP depending on individual preferences and limitations. The RX10 is more than twice the cost of the current model fujifilm X20. But it does have more capability.

Of course, you are right the RX10 is a fine camera, I think most of those on the list would suit our OP depending on individual preferences and limitations. The RX10 is more than twice the cost of the current model fujifilm X20. But it does have more capability.

The reason for the RX10 (I have 2 of them) is for two reasons. It will now give me a camera to take on vacation that will allow me to pretty much do what many DSLR's can do but is much smaller, plus I have one of the best cameras for video, Two for the price of one. I also use them for walk around purposes for weddings to take stills and close up video.

I looked at the specs for the Fuji, not bad for a very small camera but it isn't for me as I would miss some of the more advanced capabilities that the RX10 delivers. But I can see where many would be very pleased with your camera of choice. :)

I have a Sony Nex 5 with the extra 55-210mm lens that I use in land and a Sony DSC-TX10 for on and under the water. Love my Sonys. Them again it's the only brand we sell at my store.... They both take great videos, panoramic, 3D etc etc. the RX100 would be my choice if I had to buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to take the D300, leave off the grip to conserve space and weight, and bring one lens, an 18-200 with a polarizing filter. If I don't get the shot with that, it wasn't meant to be.

We just returned from the Tahiti two weeks ago; I carried a Nikon 1 AW1 with both the 11-27.5MM and 10-100MM lens. This camera performed admirably both in and out of the water. I very easily could have left the 10-100MM at home. FYI we carry-on our bags; the Patagonia MLC weighed in at 17.5lbs. I have a small bag that carried my ipad and travel documents. Weights were well with in the ATN's carry-on limits of 10KG or 22lbs.:D

Ed

The #1 preferred zoom lens carried by more professionals as their walk around lens in a 18-200 or similar. Wise choice ;)

In FP a polarizer is a must. Harsh sun and the clouds are incredible with a polarizer.

Edited by Tikiintahiti