TownePlace Suites, Galveston

satchiesmom

I am also interested in this hotel. I was going to rule it out because we will not have a car and it seems a little isolated. They do have a restaurant though and the price is right. Seems like it is part of the Courtyard Marriott with use of their pool??? Not sure how it all works so if anyone can fill me in, it would be greatly appreciated. We are also on a cruise next April.

We are also on a cruise next April and I made reservations for this hotel as well. I have read what reviews I could and they were pretty positive. The hotel is located at the end of the Seawall tourist area. The pool is shared with the Courtyard by Marriott looks awesome. They have free internet, free breakfast and a suite. The best part is I called the hotel and spoke with the front desk and the gal I spoke with was fantastic. She was very helpful and answered all my questions. Please note that they charge $55 per room to get to the cruiseport but that also includes parking for the week. We are not parking a car so that rate seems a bit high to me. We will be looking for other transportation to the cruiseport.

It is definitely isolated... At that location, you will need a car to go anywhere -- there is pretty much nothing within walking distance, at all. Plus side, it'll be nice and quiet without a lot of Seawall traffic going by! :-)

They don't have a restaurant, though -- The Courtyard does, so you'd have to walk to that. The Courtyard is actually on the Seawall -- then their pool is behind that, and TownePlace is behind that. If you look it up on Google Maps under streetview you'll see what I mean.

It looks like a super nice place!! Just know that if you don't have a car, you're going to be pretty cut-off from any dining or entertainment.

We may be renting a car for the few days we will be there. I believe it will still be cheaper than paying over $200-$300 per night for the closer-to-the-action hotels. We are also "older" and we can order dinner to be delivered... ;) :cool:

We really don't plan to do much other than relax and hopfully enjoy the warmer Galveston weather prior to the cruise.

Edited by Trvlr37

Good idea having dinner delivered. I am sure we could at least get a pizza. Or walk over to the Marriott and eat in their restaurant.

At $55.00 for a port shuttle seems a little steep as we will not have a car either. Taxi will be much cheaper.

I'm all for peace and quiet too, believe me :-) We would choose that any day over crazy crowds and hassle. Dinner delivery is a great idea! I know Bryants Jungle Cafe delivers (my son delivers for them :-) ) and has awesome burgers and wraps and such, Russo's is great for pizza and they deliver as well, and there's always Jimmy John's for sandwiches.

http://www.junglegalveston.com

http://nypizzeria.com/locations/store-information/?loc_id=15

http://www.jimmyjohns.com

We are also on a cruise next April and I made reservations for this hotel as well. I have read what reviews I could and they were pretty positive. The hotel is located at the end of the Seawall tourist area. The pool is shared with the Courtyard by Marriott looks awesome. They have free internet, free breakfast and a suite. The best part is I called the hotel and spoke with the front desk and the gal I spoke with was fantastic. She was very helpful and answered all my questions. Please note that they charge $55 per room to get to the cruiseport but that also includes parking for the week. We are not parking a car so that rate seems a bit high to me. We will be looking for other transportation to the cruiseport.

I will be sailing in March 2017 with a group of female veterans. We are all coming in from all over the US to sail together. Some of us may arrive the day before the cruise and are looking for cheap accommodations around the port area as well as transportation to the port. What is the rate for the rooms at the hotel you mentioned? My cruise roommate and I will be arriving the day before sailing. Did I understand you correctly when you said they charge $55 per room to get to the cruiseport? Not per person? I'm just trying to plan ahead and save some pennies if we can. Thanks for the info. Any help is appreciated. :)

Where is this hotel located?

Edited by emtangelwings66
adding more info

I will be sailing in March 2017 with a group of female veterans. We are all coming in from all over the US to sail together. Some of us may arrive the day before the cruise and are looking for cheap accommodations around the port area as well as transportation to the port. What is the rate for the rooms at the hotel you mentioned? My cruise roommate and I will be arriving the day before sailing. Did I understand you correctly when you said they charge $55 per room to get to the cruiseport? Not per person? I'm just trying to plan ahead and save some pennies if we can. Thanks for the info. Any help is appreciated. :)

If you book soon, you should be able to get a pretty good rate but if you wait, the prices will go up a ridiculous amount the closer you get to sailing. We are sailing in April and I have already booked our hotel. If I happen to find something better closer in, I will cancel this reservation and book another one.

I'm all for peace and quiet too, believe me :-) We would choose that any day over crazy crowds and hassle. Dinner delivery is a great idea! I know Bryants Jungle Cafe delivers (my son delivers for them :-) ) and has awesome burgers and wraps and such, Russo's is great for pizza and they deliver as well, and there's always Jimmy John's for sandwiches.

www.junglegalveston.com

http://nypizzeria.com/locations/store-information/?loc_id=15

www.jimmyjohns.com

Crazy4themouse - thanks so much for the delivery tips! It looks like we might not be staying here after all. Our airfare just became available and we may not be staying as long as I had originally planned in Galveston. We may just take a night at the airport instead.

Townplace Suites sounds really nice, though and the staff person when I called was great. If we fly in 2 days early, we will plan to stay in Galveston. However, I don't think it will be worth it for just a few hours before boarding the ship. Rates at the Townplace Suites were under $200 for our April trip which is less than all the other hotels in Galveston.

Edited by Trvlr37

Emtangelwings66 - if you are flying in only 1 day prior to your cruise, you might want to stay at the airport. It is must less expensive than staying near the port. Yes, it was $55 per room to get to the cruiseport from the hotel which is expensive to go just a few miles unless your are needing to park your car.

call and ask about the In town large bus for accommodating local transportation needs. The hotel is new , looks great and is large Marriott complex.

It is out far on Seawall Blvd, but if bus available you will be fine. Nothing is far with available bus in Galveston Island just not walkable .

Crazy4themouse - thanks so much for the delivery tips! It looks like we might not be staying here after all. Our airfare just became available and we may not be staying as long as I had originally planned in Galveston. We may just take a night at the airport instead.

Aww, that's too bad!! Galveston is a magical place, with so much to see and explore... I hope if your travel plans don't include a longer stay this time, you'll be able to come back and visit the island soon! :-)

-gina-

• 2 weeks later...
Aww, that's too bad!! Galveston is a magical place, with so much to see and explore... I hope if your travel plans don't include a longer stay this time, you'll be able to come back and visit the island soon! :-)

-gina-

Gina - Thank you for such kind words - we are still working things out but are hoping now to stay a few days after our cruise.

Emtangelwings66 - if you are flying in only 1 day prior to your cruise, you might want to stay at the airport. It is must less expensive than staying near the port. Yes, it was $55 per room to get to the cruiseport from the hotel which is expensive to go just a few miles unless your are needing to park your car.

Call John at Pink Taxis Galveston for quote to cruise port. We used him cruise port to airport and he was amazing. Reasonable rates and such a personable gentleman. He is passionate about Galveston so would do you a mini tour if required.