Uniworld Tulips & Windmills: first river cruise

FLmadbeach

Since my husband gets tired of day tours, and I enjoy them, will there be something for him to do aboard the River Queen during the day. We have booked a suite and I know that we can get breakfast served in our stateroom, how about other meals? Any day tours he absolutely should not miss?

Since my husband gets tired of day tours, and I enjoy them, will there be something for him to do aboard the River Queen during the day. We have booked a suite and I know that we can get breakfast served in our stateroom, how about other meals? Any day tours he absolutely should not miss?

Tours not to be missed: Keukenhof Gardens (depending on when you're going) If it's when tulips are in bloom, then drag him kicking and screaming, he won't be sorry!

Aalsmeer Flower Auction: Usually runs a couple of hours and can be done in the morning....picture many football fields end to end and filled with flowers of all kinds that are being auctioned to florists all over the world. It will blow your mind!

Don't know if it's on your itinerary, but places my DH really liked were:

the outdoor war museum and the Zuider Zee outdoor museum. Ones you can do without him: Delft (if you like it) and the diamond district (that will scare him into going with you). Again don't know what's on your itinerary, but Brugges was beautiful as was Antwerp (home of the diamond district). I went with a different company and while most of them are similar, there are variations. As for meals in your suite, on Vantage if you want them, you can have all your meals in your suite, but I wouldn't recommend it. Meals arIe open seating so if you wind up sitting with someone you absolutely cannot abide, you just have to remember what they look like and avoid them for the rest of the trip! Most of us confine our conversations to places we've been, places we're going to and places we hope to go to, and what we've liked or not liked about the trip we're on. Personal topics and politics are mostly avoided, although every now and then you do get someone who wants to lecture everyone on HIS point of view, but like I said, you just avoid them. We have made permanent friends on 3 of our 6 trips....to the extent that now we plan trips together because we live on opposite coasts.

Thanks for the tips, Hydrokitty. Brugges and the Keukenhof were ones offered on our tour

and I'm sure we'll both enjoy them. We have three days in Brussels pre cruise and four in Amsterdam at the end. I'd appreciate any hints from others about the Uniworld River Queen and things to do on board during the day.

You will not find much to do on board any of the river cruises during a day that the ship is in port. Because excursions are included, it is thought that most passengers will take them. If he doesn't want to do the included excursion, he can always just get off the ship and walk around the port city on his own. If you do research for each city, he may find a museum, castle, church that he is interested in visiting. Just check with your Tour Director to make sure the ship is not moving during the day and what time you need to be back on board. Others will start on the included excursion and then go off on their own. This is allowed as well. Just tell your tour guide that you are leaving and either make arrangements to meet up with them later or find out how to get yourself back to the ship.

I did this cruise a few years ago on the River Duchess with a friend. The two things my husband would have liked were the windmills at Kinderdijk and Delta Works. They are short bus rides and if you are lucky to see how the grass on the sides of the highway are kept cut, sheep!

Second seating

Thanks for the tips, Hydrokitty. Brugges and the Keukenhof were ones offered on our tour

and I'm sure we'll both enjoy them. We have three days in Brussels pre cruise and four in Amsterdam at the end. I'd appreciate any hints from others about the Uniworld River Queen and things to do on board during the day.

We did 3 day pre-trip to Brussels when we went on our Windmills and Tulips river cruise. Brussels was great. Things not to be missed is the main square, the mannekin pis, and the atomium. It's a great walking city and I loved it!!! There really won't be much to do on board while you're in port and pp advice is spot on. You can always go off on your own when in port, just make sure you know what time you must be on board.

I did this cruise a few years ago on the River Duchess with a friend. The two things my husband would have liked were the windmills at Kinderdijk and Delta Works. They are short bus rides and if you are lucky to see how the grass on the sides of the highway are kept cut, sheep!

Second seating

Kinderdjik was very nice....it's too bad it was so cold and windy the day we were there, but we did see the windmills working!! It's not a long stop, but it was really good.

it depends on what your husband wants to do. Is he active? There is a small gym, but it would be much more fun to take one of the ship's bicycles and go for a ride. Or use the Nordic walking sticks for a power walk. There is a spa on board, so maybe a massage?

There is a small library, and a couple of computers. Other than that, sitting in the lounge or on the deck to watch the world go by. The bar is always open :-)

Some people went on the tours to see the city we were in but did not get off the bus. Uniworld does advertise two levels of mobility for their tours so those with mobility problems do not feel rushed or overtaxed and those w/o such problems don't feel slowed down or impeded in their pace. The included trip already has several days in Amsterdam so on the days you added look to explore parts of the Netherlands the ship won't visit. Train travel in Holland is fast and convenient.