GCT versus Vantage

lipoppop

We've done 6 tours with Vantage and have been very happy with them. Grand Circle and Vantage are owned by brothers. I've found that while Grand Circle might be a little cheaper but have more optional tours than Vantage which brings the cost up.Vantage includes many more. We are doing #7 this coming June - French Waterways with Vantage. Willard

I found that the Vantage sale's agents were so pushy as compared to GCT. Did you find that?

Quite the opposite as a matter of fact. In my experience Vantage agents were very knowledgeable and helpful but I've never experienced any of the "buy now because tomorrow tour will be either filled or cost twice as much".....which I hate. Like Willard, we chose Vantage because they offered more for the money...I would say 95% of the shore excursions are included and there is an included excursion in every port. The few optionals usually included a longer bus ride, an admission, and usually a restaurant meal or they give you money to buy lunch on your own. In any case, ALL of the optional tours have been worth the extra money, IMHO. Other than that, I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between the two companies.

I've been on the GCT Rhine Cruise and four Vantage tours including the Danube. I feel that Vantage offers more for the money: better wine, food, hotels, ships and program managers. The four Vantage program managers that we had were fantastic. Any problem that arose was handled promptly always with a satisfactory result. One of the things that turned me off on GCT was that the wine package they offered for the trip consisted of not very good wines and the "free" wine with dinner was such that my wife started drinking beer. A lot of my friends use GCT and OAT and have no problems but I think if you try Vantage you won't be happy with GCT.

Bob in Austin

Vantage: Danube, South Africa, South America and Northern Italy tours.

Disclaimer: I've never been on either GCT or Vantage. But I've seen the group tours in action, both of them, on the Paul Gauguin cruise ship in Tahiti, sometimes at the same time. My observations were that Vantage was a bit "higher end" than GCT. But I liked the GCT people better when I got to know them, nice folks. Totally anecdotal, of course.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Disclaimer: I've never been on either GCT or Vantage. But I've seen the group tours in action, both of them, on the Paul Gauguin cruise ship in Tahiti, sometimes at the same time. My observations were that Vantage was a bit "higher end" than GCT. But I liked the GCT people better when I got to know them, nice folks. Totally anecdotal, of course.

Aww Wendy, you'd like ME if you met me!!! I'll be in Toronto in June.....we could have lunch. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Aww Wendy, you'd like ME if you met me!!! I'll be in Toronto in June.....we could have lunch. :D

I'm sure I would, and that sounds great! As I said, anecdotal--one of my recent-ish Vantage encounters was in Tom Bradley International terminal at LAX. We were in line at the Business check-in counter, and a woman turned to us and pointed out that the Economy line was, "over there". Snooty, uh, person she turned out to be. The Vantagers and the GCTers all start out wearing name tags, and the Vantagers, in Tahiti, seemed to have more special events laid on for them. The GCTers tended to throw away their name tags sooner, and get down to having serious fun.

Again, anecdotal only, and it would be fun to meet. Maybe we can get together a Toronto "chapter" to meet.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I'm sure I would, and that sounds great! As I said, anecdotal--one of my recent-ish Vantage encounters was in Tom Bradley International terminal at LAX. We were in line at the Business check-in counter, and a woman turned to us and pointed out that the Economy line was, "over there". Snooty, uh, person she turned out to be. The Vantagers and the GCTers all start out wearing name tags, and the Vantagers, in Tahiti, seemed to have more special events laid on for them. The GCTers tended to throw away their name tags sooner, and get down to having serious fun.

Again, anecdotal only, and it would be fun to meet. Maybe we can get together a Toronto "chapter" to meet.

LOL.....being a New Yorker, several "snarky" responses immediately jump to mind....and I think the word you're looking for begins with "B" not "s"!! :D

We've done 6 tours with Vantage and have been very happy with them. Grand Circle and Vantage are owned by brothers. I've found that while Grand Circle might be a little cheaper but have more optional tours than Vantage which brings the cost up.Vantage includes many more. We are doing #7 this coming June - French Waterways with Vantage. Willard

We are doing the French Waterways 8/1

With Vantage you have one person (Program Manager) on board ship as a resource person for information about the various towns. On GCT, there are several (one for every 40 pax, give or take); in some towns they also provide the daily tour. I prefer the later, ymmv.;)

I love it, I'm hoping you were actually in First to her Business ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With Vantage you have one person (Program Manager) on board ship as a resource person for information about the various towns. On GCT, there are several (one for every 40 pax, give or take); in some towns they also provide the daily tour. I prefer the later, ymmv.;)

I do too! And Vantage use to do it that way until this year. Our last trip (Budapest to the Black Sea) we had 1 concierge (who did nothing) 1 PM (who did everything and therefore was busy all the time) and local guides for each port, which actually turned out well because they were extremely knowledgeable and usually lived where we were so they knew everything. The downside, for me, was the loss of a personal touch...having the same TM for the same group of 30 (you were given option to change groups) allowed TM to get to know their group personally....what they liked, how well they moved, etc. I can see why Vantage does it this way now, it saves money, but I still miss the old way.