Mitsugirly or others-- Which one should we pick?

GWAE

I wish I could direct message on this website but I can not so I am posting this here. Mitsugirly, I read your reviews of the 4 spots listed below in Costa Maya but I am not sure which one is best for us. Any guidance would be appreciated.

COSTA MAYA: Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Kay Blue Kay

This is our first cruise so we are not sure what to expect. We will be in Costa Maya from 8-4pm. I would actually love to do the ATV tour but I don't want to spend $250 for 2 of us to do it.

We will be in Roatan the day before and plan on going to the Little French Key.

As for this port we don't plan on snorkeling. I will go into the water a little bit but not very much. Basically we want to sit on the beach for a little but having other activities near by would be a plus as well. I am not sure if any of them offer water sport activities like jet skies?

This is such a hard decision for me because I am afraid that I am going to be bored. My idea of relaxing is not to relax and keep busy. If I go to a beach area where there is nothing to do I am afraid that I will want to head back to the ship early. However, my wife could lay on the beach until midnight.

A place that has WIFI is going to be important as well so we can call home and talk to the kids.

Thanks for anyones help. Only 13 days to go.

I wish I could direct message on this website but I can not so I am posting this here. Mitsugirly, I read your reviews of the 4 spots listed below in Costa Maya but I am not sure which one is best for us. Any guidance would be appreciated.

COSTA MAYA: Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Kay Blue Kay

This is our first cruise so we are not sure what to expect. We will be in Costa Maya from 8-4pm. I would actually love to do the ATV tour but I don't want to spend $250 for 2 of us to do it.

We will be in Roatan the day before and plan on going to the Little French Key.

As for this port we don't plan on snorkeling. I will go into the water a little bit but not very much. Basically we want to sit on the beach for a little but having other activities near by would be a plus as well. I am not sure if any of them offer water sport activities like jet skies?

This is such a hard decision for me because I am afraid that I am going to be bored. My idea of relaxing is not to relax and keep busy. If I go to a beach area where there is nothing to do I am afraid that I will want to head back to the ship early. However, my wife could lay on the beach until midnight.

A place that has WIFI is going to be important as well so we can call home and talk to the kids.

Thanks for anyones help. Only 13 days to go.

Based on your criteria don't go to Alempa, while it is beautiful, you will be bored as there is nothing to do there except sit and read or swim.

As far as the other choices of those will be fine. The whole area is just one beach bar after the other (though Maya Chan is a bit separated). All of them are pretty much the same, and offer the same amenities, which include food and beverage service, chairs, umbrellas, and access to the beach. Most offer wifi, though it tends to be slow on the beach (much better inside the establishment).

What you are not going to find is a place with jet skis, water toys, parasailing, etc. There is swimming and marginally good snorkeling, but that is about it.

I would second zqvol's choice of Almaplena, if you're looking for an A.I. and better water conditions.

Maya Chan would be second.

And if you don't want the A.I. option, choose Blue Kay.

I'm personally a tad baised toward Nohoch Kay. Jaimie is a wonderful host and his servers and barkeeps have been excellent. But then, I've known Jaimie since his old Playa del Carmen days. Nohoch Kay is more along the middle southern portion of the malecon. But sometimes the water there isn't as clear at up by the very beginning nearer the lighthouse like Blue Kay. It's also very shallow there. Some folks don't like this.The last time I was there the men's bathroom was dive bar quality. That's okay for me, as I like dive bars.:D I think he was redoing these and DW didn't mention any complaints on the women's bathroom. You do have to book NK via Island Marketing in advance. But he does keep the peddlers/hawkers away, and there's open spaces (or was open spaces last year) between the next club north and the next clubs south of the municipal pier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok so here's my opinion based on what you want to do...relax for the spouse and active for you...

First, my 2 choices for you would be either Maya Chan or some place (like Blue Kay) along the malecon.

First off...Maya Chan will pamper you to death. They are the most wonderful staff ever and their food is fabulous!!! The place is very nice and the private palapa's are awesome (if that's what you get versus just 2 chairs under a straw umbrella). They have awesome activities during the day and competitions...like sand golf. :p They have bikes if you want to ride and explore. They have kayak's to go out on the water with. (They have snorkeling too, but you said you wasn't interested in that). The only draw back is we didn't like the water. There is a lot of seaweed at that location, but if that doesn't bother you, then you'll be ok. Since there is seaweed, it does give off a brownish color to the water, so not your crystal clear blue Caribbean water you think of when in the Caribbean. They do also have chair floats and you can just float in the ocean and they'll bring you drinks. :D

So then onto the malecon. I personally love Blue Kay because of the location, the lack of all the sea weed and the water is just to die for and gorgeous. The grounds are HUGE and plenty of places to spread out. The food and drinks were fabulous as well and the service good. They do have a volleyball net, but of course it would require you to get other people involved. They do have a package that includes their bikes (you could ride up and down the malecon and check it all out for future reference on return visits), kayaks and once again, snorkeling equipment. The site at Blue Kay does list jet ski on it, but I'm not sure what the cost of them. I do know there is another place down on the malecon close by (and the name escapes me but I can picture it) that you can rent things like this as well.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately we are back from the trip. Just to update, at Costa Maya we ended up just renting a golf cart and drove around for a few hours. We had soooo much fun at Little French Key that we figured nothing could compare so we just took it easy.

Thank you for the reviews on little french key as that may have been the best day of our lives. I can't even explain how amazing it really was there.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately we are back from the trip. Just to update, at Costa Maya we ended up just renting a golf cart and drove around for a few hours. We had soooo much fun at Little French Key that we figured nothing could compare so we just took it easy.

Thank you for the reviews on little french key as that may have been the best day of our lives. I can't even explain how amazing it really was there.

Aww, sorry I was too late. I was on a cruise myself and just got back and was working on my review.

I'm really glad you enjoyed LFK. Trust me, no reason to explain...I already know ;) x2 actually :D what you are feeling. :)

I actually unfriended lfk from Facebook today because I couldn't deal with people posting pictures.

:confused: Isn't that what it's all about? So that others will know what they have and what is going on? You can always uncheck the "get notifications" box and it won't appear in your feed or as a notification. :)

I meant it was making me sad to see everyone having fun. I was just being jealous that I couldn't be there. Fwiw, I refriended them so I could live vicariously through others. Lol, and you thought you were confused.

I meant it was making me sad to see everyone having fun. I was just being jealous that I couldn't be there. Fwiw, I refriended them so I could live vicariously through others. Lol, and you thought you were confused.

LOL, that totally cracked me up and I completely understand. ;) :D