Questions on my 1 day plan for LA tour

shoredreamer

Ok, after reading through the many posts on here I am trying to plan our precruise day in LA. I think I have decided on what we should do just need a little help with specifics from those of you in the area...

Will be spending the previous night near LAX (arriving on a late night flight) then in the morning heading out to do the touristy thing :) I figured we would start by going to Hollywood, seeing the sign, the chinese theater, star walk, etc. Is this hard to get to from LAX? After that I figured maybe we could check out the grove/farmers market..are these one and the same and how would I get to there (by car)...after that go see Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive (what is there to see in Bev Hills besides Rodeo Drive?) then the thought is maybe to get to UCLA and tour there if its not too hard to find and then head out and explore Santa Monica before calling it a day..where would anyone recommend as a not miss in Santa Monica and does this sound doable for a one day tour? Also is there anything not mentioned anyone feels we should see instead or in addition to what I was planning? Also how hard is this to do driving, if anyone could provide specific driving directions I would GREATLY appreciate it. I am not a city driver at all. We have never been to the west coast either and I know one day really isnt enough but will try to make due the best we can...oh and one more question..is there anything to see in Bel Air, one of my DS's happen to love the fresh prince of bel air tv show so thought it might be fun to drive through there if its not too far and time permitted and there was anything worth seeing.....thank you so very much for all your help..Cindi

I think your outline is basically do-able. Alot will depend on traffic and how early a start you get. When are you going and what day of the week will you be here? Weekend traffic will be less (normally) than weekday. Definitely rent a car or you will never see everything you'd like to see. If I were you I'd stay in Santa Monica rather than near LAX. Since you will be arriving late at night it will only take you about 15 minutes to get from the airport ot Santa Monica. There's nothing nearby LAX.

Head to Hollywood in the morning, but if it's a weekday wait to leave until 9 a.m. to miss most of the traffic. You cannot go "visit" the Hollywood sign, so you'll have to visit it from afar like everyone else. Drive to Farmer's Market and stroll around, which won't take long, and perhaps go to the attached outdoor mall, "The Grove" for lunch.

Beverly Hills is good for outrageous shopping and looking at large houses, and that's it. If you can afford to shop on 5th Avenue in NYC or North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, you can do the same on Rodeo Drive, with similar outrageous prices. It's worth a drive through, but not a long stop when you have limited time. Bel Air is simply a residential community.

Rather than go to UCLA, I suggest you head to the Getty Center art museum. Even if you're not a big museum person it is worth it just to see the architecture of the museum, the gardens, and the spectacular views. There are several places to rest and have a snack and coffee.

After that head out to Santa Monica, where you'll be staying, and stroll the 3rd street Promenade (more shopping but more reasonably priced); have dinner at a restaurant on Ocean Avenue and enjoy watching the sun set into the Pacific.

Although there is a lot of traffic in L.A., don't let this put you off from driving. Relying on the bus system just isn't practical when you have limited time and there's no subway between the areas you want to cover. LA drivers can be pretty aggressive, (but nothing like NYC or Chicago) but the streets are generally large with multiple lanes and they are very well marked. Get a good map that shows all the streets. Go to your local AAA if you're a member and get the central LA streetmap and the map of the freeway system. Rush hour begins by 6:30 a.m. and lasts until 9. Afternoon rush is from about 4-7 p.m. If you have more than one person in the car you can use the "diamond lane" which is for carpools. This can save quite a bit of time.

pvmkmyer,

Thank you so much for your response...Just to answer a couple of your questons and clarify a few things...I must stay at LAX as I have already booked a non-refundable priceline hotel. Our flight arrives late Thursday night after all the car rental places at LAX are closed so although its a pain, the plan was to take the hotel's shuttle back to the airport in the morning (Friday) and pick up the rental car that would be returned the following morning in San Pedro before embarkation. So our all day tour here would be on a weekday, Friday to be exact. I will be travelling with my 2 teenage sons so thought it would be interesting to tour UCLA as one will be looking at colleges next year and I thought it might help him get in the "mood". As for the Getty Museum how far is that from this path of attack? They would be probably be bored with that type of thing but like you said perhaps we could see its architecture. Also I cannot afford to shop on Rodeo drive so I guess that will be a quickie window shop type of thing, is there anything else there to see or do. I did get the downtown LA map from AAA but was hoping to also get some very specific street by street directions I could print up but would need some addresses for that. Thanks for all your advice especially about the traffic patterns as well. Thanks again, Cindi

I figured your sightseeing day will be on a Friday as the Diamond sails on Saturdays. This will also be the Friday before a three day President's Day weekend which may impact traffic in the afternoon, as many Angelenos may decide to leave town.

Bel Air is situated in a canyon. Just homes and narrow streets. Probably nothing to really see unless you have a friend who knows where some celebrities live.

Getty isn't that far from UCLA. You may want to check its website to see if reservations are required for that day. Sometimes on school days they have major groups of kids tramping through there (I chaperoned a second grade class two years ago, which was one of five from our school). It's free admission: you just pay for parking. But they may want you to show up at a specific time.

If you're interested in seeing Santa Monica and Hollywood, make sure you get the right street maps from the Auto Club (probably West LA for Santa Monica). Personally, I would think our freeway system would be daunting for someone not used to urban driving. There isn't a freeway that goes from SM to Hollywood unless you go a long way out of your way to the 10. Sunset Blvd. would be an interesting route to go (borders UCLA on the North).

One thing to consider is that February is often our rainiest month. You may want to keep your plans flexible as if that Friday is stormy, traffic will be umpteen times worse than usual.

Cruisin Chick,

You are absolutely right, it will be the Friday before the holiday weekend and we will be getting on the Diamond that Saturday. Would we need to have a reservation to tour UCLA as well? Do you know who I would call at UCLA for a reservation, would it be admissions? When I went to AAA all they had was the metropolitan LA map and a map of Ca, no west LA or anything like that. If you could make suggestions as to roadways I would REALLY appreciate it. Should I just take Sunset Blvd from Beverly Hills area to Santa Monica area? Is there one road to take from Hollywood to the Grove area? If there is really nothing in Bel Air I guess we could skip it just thought DS would get a kick out of it, possibly getting his pic in front of a welcome to Bel Air sign, if one even exists, he would get quite the kick out of that..if its too far out of the way in a canyon (?) then I guess we could skip that too..if this is going to be too much in one day (especially if its a bad weather day) could you recommend what would be best to definitely do and what to possibly eliminate? Thanks so much for your help..Cindi

P.S. Do you know if there are any flea market areas nearby or is that what the marketplace/grove is?

Farmer's Market is about as close to a flea market as you will find in LA. I would recommend planning to eat lunch there. There are tons of little take out places there for all different types of food. Everyone in your party can choose what they want, and you can all eat together at the provided tables (outside but with a roof overhead). It is a funky little place with the best produce, pastries, butcher, etc. around. It is close to La Brea Tar Pits which kids usually like too. The Grove is just a mall...like any mall, with lots of chain stores like the Gap, etc. It is nothing special or unique, although a nice mall. Fairfax is the street to take to get there from Sunset Blvd.

You can take Sunset all the way from UCLA to Santa Monica. Not scenic, but it is direct, and avoids the freeway.

You can book a UCLA tour here: http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/tours.htm

Splinter,

Thank you SO much for those links and the great information. Guess we can save some time and skip the grove since that is just a regular mall, I would like to see things we wouldnt normally see...any suggestions as to when to make a UCLA tour...here is what I am planning, of course I have no concept of times and how long it takes to get places, etc...Friday morning pickup rental car at LAX around 9-9:30, leave hotel (near LAX) around 10 and head up to Hollywood. See the theater, sign, walk of stars (I dont know what else if there is anything else, is the sing near the theater and star walk?) then head to the marketplace. Guessing this will be around lunchtime, maybe spend an hour or 2 there leave approx 1-2ish, again no idea, all rough estimates, I havent a clue on driving times needed between destinations, then head up to Beverly Hills see what's there, Rodeo Drive, is there anything else there? , then maybe drive through Bel Air if its on the way toward UCLA then do a tour there then head to Santa Monica...sorry I am so clueless when it comes to timing and such:o ...Cindi

Cindi,

Let me throw my two cents in here...

Yes, you will have a busy day...but it is also all doable provbided a lot of your stops are short...

Being that you are getting in late, there is nothing wrong with staying by LAX...Not my first choice if you were on a longer visit, but fine when getting in late and staying a short time...

To get from LAX to Hollywood, you have numerous choices...the shortest route would be to go north on La Cienega, right on either Slauson or Stocker, Left on La Brea to Hollywood Blvd...turn right and the Grauman's Chinese Theater and Hollywood/Highland complex will be on your left...the Walk of Fame is on the sidewalk along Hollywood Blvd. and you can see the "Sign" form there...That's probably all the Hollywood you want...To get to the Grove/Farmer's Market, go West on Hollywood to Fairfax, turn left and head to Third...The Grove is really just shopping, but it's really nice shopping...very unique architecturally...If you eat lunch there, I recommend either Maggiano's or Wood Ranch BBQ--both are chains, but very good...Wood Ranch is a local SoCal chain...

To get from there to Beverly Hills, head back up Fairfax a short way to Beverly and make a left...it meets Santa Monica Blvd in the heart of Beverly

Hills...turn left on Santa Monica and Rodeo Drive will be in a few blocks on your left...

If you decide to skip the Grove, take Sunset from Hollywood to Beverly Hills...You can turn left on almost any street between Rexford and Rodeo and get to the commercial "Triangle"...

A short stop there is sufficient...

UCLA is not far away...From Rodeo, you'd make a right on Wilshire Blvd. and in a mile or so you will come to Westwood Blvd. Turn right and follow it straight through Westwood Village and up into campus...

Now, I may be a little biased, being an alum of UCLA... but I've visited many college campuses in my lifetime...and UCLA is easily one of the most beautiful...Your sons will love it and probably want to go there after visiting...

If you can't get a tour, here is what I recommend: Drive as far up Westwood Blvd. as it goes...When you pass the parking kiosk, ask if they can give you a map of campus (or print one beforehand off the internet)...Park in that last structure on your left if you can (Lot 6)...visible from the North side of Lot 6 is Pauley Pavilion...See if it's open...if it is, go inside and check out the Championship banners...Then head next door to the Athletic Hall of Fame...Remember, UCLA has amassed 99 assorted National Championships--more than any other school...the number of trophies in this place is astounding...Plus, remember also that this is the school which produced such national treasures as Jackie Robinson, Rafer Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and more...many of the displays are quite interesting...Then walk across the plaza to Ackerman Union--which houses the bookstore and

Student Store...you can buy your souvenirs here...then head up to the Quad area between Royce Hall and Powell Library...this has the most classic amazing old brick buildings...then walk down Janss Steps at the head of the Plaza and back toward your car...

If you have time to visit the Getty (the kids MAY find it dull--but it is a great art museum), do this...Leave Lot 6 and head back down Westwood Blvd, but make a left at Circle Drive (you can actually make a complete circle around campus if you want...The dorms are to the west side of campus, off Circle Drive and De Neve, on the hill behind the track stadium...the Sorority houses are along Hilgard on the east side of campus, the fraternities mostly along Gayley on the west side...After whatever tour, exit onto Sunset Boulevard...You'll find the gates to Bel Air at Sunset and Bellagio (if I recall correctly)--right near the UCLA dorms!!!

Left on Sunset to Sepulveda, down a ramp and a right onto Sepulveda...and a left on Getty Center Drive takes you to the Getty (parking is down below and a monorail takes you up the hill to the museum itself (not sure if you need reservations)...

To get from there to Santa Monica, make a right back onto Sepulveda and take it to Wilshire...make a right on Wilshire and go 2 or 3 miles until you hit 4th, 2nd or Ocean...make a left and look for parking to visit the Third Street Promenade...or go to Ocean and make a left for the Pier...Visit the pier, stroll third street and pick out a restaurant...

To get back to LAX from Santa Monica, you want to go South on Lincoln Blvd...

Good luck and have fun...

THANKS BRUIN STEVE!!! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for such specific driving directions...just one more question, if we forego Getty, how would we go from UCLA to Santa Monica, would we just go Sepulveda to Wilshire and about how long does that take? and from there Lincoln will take us right back to LAX area? and how far is that in time? I think my DS's unfortunately would be bored with an art musuem, they would way rather tour UCLA I am sure, my one DS is a big college basketball fan too so we really need to do that. Thanks so much for your input, it is very helpful to me...any restaurant recommendations for Santa Monica, in the grove area we will try to find the Wood Ranch BBQ since we have never been to one of those, been to maggianos in another state and although we love that too, would love to try as many new things as possible...thanks again, Cindi

Bruin Steve,

Looks like we will have to do our own "tour" of UCLA, all tours for the day we will be there are already full. I did see online that they have a self guided tour plan but yours sounds more like what my boys would really want to see :) I think we will do just as you recommended, do you now how late we would be able to get there and these areas still be open to the "public".. it will be Fri 2/16/07. Is Pauley Pavillion only open certain days and times? Wouldnt want to miss that if possible. Thanks again, Cindi

Cindi,

From UCLA, head down most streets back to Wilshire...Gayley or Veteran or even Westwood may be better than Sepulveda...Sepulveda and Sunset is not a normal intersection--Sunset is an "overpass"...those others bring you back through Westwood Village...or you can continue on Sunset over the 405 and turn left on Barrington or Bundy to get back to Wilshire...

Westwood to Santa Monica is only a few miles...maybe 15 minutes depending on how many lights you hit...

Santa Monica to LAX is not far either...depends on traffic and lights, but I'd say 20-30 minutes tops...

Santa Monica has lots of restaurants...some chains, some one of a kind...

My family likes Buca di Beppo (of course, that's a national chain--family-style Italian) on Second Street

http://www.bucadibeppo.com/

...last time we ate in that area, it was Benihana--on Fourth Street (yeah, another chain)

...But there are a lot of choices along third street...or south of the 10 on Main Street...Here's a list with links...

http://www.smchamber.com/dining/index.html

...that also includes some out of Santa Monica...including some local "institutions" like Glasdstone's and Duke's (in Pacific Palisades and Malibu...Gladstone's is right where Sunset Boulevard hits Pacific Coast Highway--it's the highest grossing restaurant/bar in California and sometimes the wait for a table can be long...but it's right out on the beach and you can watch the waves from your table...Dukes is further up in Malibu and a similar experience...both are very good...you'd have to drive up the coast a few miles from Santa Monica--but, may be worth it for a special experience...You might want to leave UCLA driving down Sunset...(and right on PCH if you wanted to go to Duke's)...I'd eat dinner, then stop for a walk on Third Street Promenade or the pier on your way back to LAX...

My sister loves C&O Trattoria in Venice/Marina Del Rey:

http://www.cotrattoria.com/

More:

Pauley Pavilion is likely open...try a few doors...

It should be a regular school day and some kids play pick-up games...

However, if the team is practicing, they likely close it to the public...it'd hit and miss...

The Hall of Fame is most likely open, but you could call first and find out for sure...

But, it's a school day, so most stuff is probably open...

Hey there!

Sorry, swamped and busy now but wanted to add my two cents...

First of all when are you going to be here?

If there's time, I'll write you up a step by step...

Going to agree 95% with my compadre BruinSteve, but might change a few specifics.

I DO think that you are really looking at a lot to do in one day.

First off specific Hollywood Sign Directions - click link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=404640

Secondly, you have two teenage boys, so I'm going to advise based on that...

Getty will be boring for them, forget it...

The Grove I personally don't think is too exciting either, unless you or they have a specific CBS show that they like, and want to take a quick tour of the studio there. (You probably could even get tickets for Late Night with Craig Ferguson - hysterically funny, and filmed in the late afternoon, evening)...

There are a couple of really cool Bel Air signs/gateways. They are both on Sunset Blvd, and I think worth a photo op stop alone.

(I drive around all the time for work, all around LAX/Santa Monica/Hollywood area, so if there's time, I'll find the exact cross streets when I'm around there next week).

I'd either have lunch in Hollywood, and skip the Grove; then drive to UCLA.

Or, drive down to UCLA and have lunch in Westwood, which is the college town/hangout right next to campus. I'd also be absolutely sure to have a Stan's Donut there...

http://www.stansdoughnuts.com/peanutbutter.html

BruinSteve's "do it yourself" UCLA tour is perfect!

Then I would head down to Santa Monica, and hit the Venice Boardwalk for the boys first (a lot more fun and excitement). Then end as it's getting later, on the Pier and walk up to Third Street Promenade for dinner.

Venice is great until about 6 PM, so I'd do that first.

Then, Third Street Promenade has lights and activites until late night, so it's a great place to spend the evening.

Let me know your timing, and I'll add some more options to BruinSteve's already good directions.

(And I actually even have a better faster shortcut to get to your hotel)...

Anyway, great start!

CJW

Thanks you both for your relies, you are both so very helpful..

Bruin Steve, you made me laugh, my boys always love an pick the chain restaurants and never want to try anything new :( ..now I on the other hand am the exact opposite, we shall see who wins out here...they do love benihana though...any chance of there being a melting pot anywhere, they love that too, but thanks for the great links will go through them all....thanks for the timing info with regard to driving too it will really help when trying to plan what we will have time for.

CJW, Thanks for replying too, as four our timing it goes like this, now this is all estimates but trying to plan...we arrive late Thursday night 2/15 at LAX after all car rental places are already closed. Will shuttle to hotel (crowne plaza lax) then in the morning back to LAX for the car ( I know this is a pain but the only way we could get a car that was returnable in San Pedro on Sat) after getting car, pick up kids from hotel (unless they are somehow up early enough for us all to go get the car which I doubt since we will be arriving at LAX at 11pm PST but will really be 2am to us as we are coming from EST) and leave there at around 10 am (?) and head up to Hollywood and the rest of our plan. Thank you for the directions to the "sign", how far is this from the chinese theater area? Should we do that before or after the theater? I also agree with you about my boys likely being bored with the art thing, they would be interested in seeing a tv show taping though but not sure if we will have time for that? How would I go about arranging that? If we skipped the grove/marketplace would we, or should we rearrange our plan of attack to include this? Is it not too late for reservations? It is 4 weeks from today. Thanks for your willlingness to find us a Bel Air sign, my son would really enjoy that since he loves "fresh prince" still after all these years! oh and SO funny you brought up the donuts, both my son's work in our local dunkin donuts so not sure if they would want more....maybe, who knows..as for junk food we all do want to try an in and out burger at least once, maybe on our way to the airport after our cruise.....Thanks again, Cindi

Hey I just found this...

800px-Belair.jpg

This is at Sunset Blvd. and Bellagio, it's one of the ones I was talking about. Also, if any interest while you are there, the Beverly Hillbillies mansion is at 750 Bel Air Road, and Ronald and Nancy Reagans's house is at 668 St. Cloud Road.

Also there's an In N Out right there in Westwood:

922 Gayley Ave.

Westwood, CA 90024

and one near the airport:

9149 S. Sepulveda Blvd.

Westchester, California 90045

As far as directions to the sign...

I do that first, go there first, take pictures...

Then reverse follow the directions, and you'll be back down at the Chinese Theater in about 10 minutes tops.

Then you can have as much time as you want walking around there...

TV Show...

Here's the link:

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latelate/

I mention this show, because it's easy to get tickets, and usually on the day of...

also now that I think of it...

http://abc.go.com/latenight/jimmykimmel/index?pn=index

This one is also easy to get tickets to, and films right across the street from the theater.

You can also get free tickets to both of these, and then decide not to go at the last minute. It's very common to do that, as they understand people's plans change.

But those you literally can decide on the day when you are there and what you feel like, although I'd try to get tickets first just so that you have them if you decide then and there to go.

And make sure you get the In N Out fries! Cooked right from fresh cut potatoes. No frozen!

CJW

Thanks CJW,

What a great picture, is that the entrance to Bel Air, can anyone drive through or do you have to be a resident... I looked at both of the tv show links but I dont think we can go because the first one says you must be 17 or older and youngest son is 15 and the second one says 18 or over with valid gov't id. Oh well it was a nice thought anyway. We probably have more than enough to do as it is...I really appreciate what you do here on the boards, both you and Bruin Steve especially, and everyone else who replies as well..you were giving me advice on another thread about or post cruise situation which has since changed, we were originally getting off the ship that following Sat and had a very early am flight the following Sunday and I wasnt sure what to do Sat and where to stay Sat night but have since changed us to a Sat night flight at 10pm...anyway not sure if you remembered but thank you...Cindi

It took me a few days to get back in here. I guess the boards were down for a long while.

I checked UCLA's BB schedule and they will be out of town that weekend playing the Arizona schools so if Pauley is open, the boys can take a peak. The championship banners will be hanging from the rafters.

I have a quick question. My husband and I will be in LA the same day as Cindi and her sons. We don't arrive until almost 1:00 PM on Friday and just plan on getting a car for the afternoon to go to Hollywood. How hard/expensive is it to park near the Chinese theater (the name escapes me at this moment)? I want to do the movie star's home bus tour. It took me along time to talk my husband into to even renting the car and doing anything in LA and this was my choice as it looks like it is relatively easy driving from LAX to Mann's Chinese Theater. (I remembered the name)

thanks for the help

Kay

How hard/expensive is it to park near the Chinese theater (the name escapes me at this moment)? I want to do the movie star's home bus tour. Kay

Quick answer on this...

#1 Parking in or around The Chinese Theater is fairly easy. There won't be any parking easily on Hollywood Blvd (if you want to drive around until you find a meter, but then you also have to keep going back to feed it).

Side streets and usually packed, and if you do find a spot, they're usually for one hour only (except on Sunday - just in case anyone reading this decides to go on a Sunday)...

So, two options I think are best...

Easiest I would recommend is to park in the Hollywood and Highland complex parking lot. This is a big mall, with extra interesting things (The Kodak Theater where they host the Academy Awards, the TV Guide Channel Studios - if you ever watch when they host the show and have the big window looking out the back, that's where you'll be), and The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency. There is also shopping and restaurants there. It is about a block walk to the Chinese Theater courtyard.

Currently this is $2 parking for four hours if you get validation by eating or shopping in the center. Otherwise it won't ever go over $10 for the whole day as that is the maximum charge.

Other option, is just drive around south of Hollywood Blvd, there are lot of public parking lots that will charge less.

#2 I'd use my info/directions here and get up close and personal with the Hollywood sign first, then go back down to Hollywood and Highland area.

They are not far from each other:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=404640

#3 Movie Star home tours...

I would only use this company - Red Line Tours:

http://www.redlinetours.com/

They are the most up to date and reliable.

Other tours are taking you to incorrect homes, or places where people never lived. Also never ever use the Star Maps you can buy on the street, they are the most outdated and incorrect things you can buy.

Other than that, I'd buy one of the books that they have available in their bookstore right there, and do your own driving tour.

Hope this helps.

CJW

Thanks CJW,

What a great picture, is that the entrance to Bel Air, can anyone drive through or do you have to be a resident...

No need to be a resident - drive up, drive through, take pictures...

I looked at both of the tv show links but I dont think we can go because the first one says you must be 17 or older and youngest son is 15 and the second one says 18 or over with valid gov't id. Oh well it was a nice thought anyway. We probably have more than enough to do as it is...

Yep! You know I thought of that possibility after I posted it, and I just like to throw out all ideas and thoughts here, just in case it may work or be a good idea for anyone reading it. I also thought of it, because those shoes tend to be watched by a lot of college and late high school age kids; since UCLA kept coming up, I had my mind stuck in that world...:o

I really appreciate what you do here on the boards, both you and Bruin Steve especially, and everyone else who replies as well..you were giving me advice on another thread about or post cruise situation which has since changed, we were originally getting off the ship that following Sat and had a very early am flight the following Sunday and I wasnt sure what to do Sat and where to stay Sat night but have since changed us to a Sat night flight at 10pm...anyway not sure if you remembered but thank you...Cindi

Yep, BruinSteve is a pretty cool guy! And thanks.

Yes, I did remember you from before, and I'm going to come up with some maps and directions for you, as well as some restaurant suggestions that might fit for you and the kids both!

CJW

Don't forget to have your day of touring end up in Redondo Beach so we can all meet up for dinner!!!:D

The suggestions you have been given here are all fabulous. Although I do agree that you might want to skip on the Getty b/c it will take up some time, and the boys not might think it is the best thing ever!!! Another fun website you may want to check out is http://www.seeing-stars.com. There is a lot of good info there for siteseeing and also some places to go where movies have been filmed. Looking forward to seeing both of you in just over three weeks.!!

Its a good thing your first two days are at sea, because after the day you have planned for Friday, you will need most of the first day at sea to recover.

All the major car rental agencies at LAX are open 24 hours. However, I am guessing that you are renting from Enterprise, which is not open 24 hours. Please note, the Enterprise location that is across the street from the Princess dock is only open 1/2 day on Saturday. So make sure you turn your car in before that office closes. Also, the Enterprise rental location near LAX is near the corner of La Cienega and Century (just west of the 405 Freeway). Depending on where your hotel is, it might be easier to walk to the rental office than to go back to the airport to get a shuttle.

Otherwise CJW and Bruin Steve are providing you with some great info.

Don't forget to have your day of touring end up in Redondo Beach so we can all meet up for dinner!!!:D

Doris, Too funny...I dont think we can fit redondo in we already have SO much to do, I think maybe we could see that on the other end.....sorry, we'll see you Saturday though.....

Its a good thing your first two days are at sea, because after the day you have planned for Friday, you will need most of the first day at sea to recover.

All the major car rental agencies at LAX are open 24 hours. However, I am guessing that you are renting from Enterprise, which is not open 24 hours. Please note, the Enterprise location that is across the street from the Princess dock is only open 1/2 day on Saturday. So make sure you turn your car in before that office closes. Also, the Enterprise rental location near LAX is near the corner of La Cienega and Century (just west of the 405 Freeway). Depending on where your hotel is, it might be easier to walk to the rental office than to go back to the airport to get a shuttle.

Do you think we have planned too much? Unfortunately have to do the enterprise thing because they are the only ones we could return at the port, we are staying at the crowne plaza LAX, how far would that be from the enterprise office? Is it really walkable and would it require walking on freeways or anything, if its not too far it would be easier to walk than shlep it all the way back to the airport....I guess I could get directions from one to the other and see, thanks for the tip....

Cindi

Doris,

We may make it for dinner!! I'll have to look at a map and figure out how hard it will be.

Thanks for all of the Hollywood Info. I think we're going to be limited in what we can do. It took a lot of talking/coercing on my part to even get my husband to agree to rent the car in the first place, so I'm not going to be able to slip a lot of extras in. Just seeing a little bit of Hollywood will appease me.

Thanks again for the help

Kay

Archived