Galveston Hotels & Restaurants for my wedding cruise

canthardlywait

Hello all, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am looking for recommendations as to where to block some hotel rooms in Galveston a couple of days before my wedding cruise. This would be for March 27&28th. I know that Galveston is still recovering, so I am not sure if I should wait until after the first of the year and then start looking or if I should look now. I am also looking for a nice place to have dinner the night before. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

I guess we always have the option of staying in Houston and then shuttling over the day of.

Oh and if anyone knows of any hair salons that could do my hair...hehe:p

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I don't have any useful imput for you on the place to stay in Galv -- just wanted to say that my wife and I also got married on Voyager a few years ago (married/sailed 1/7/06 from Miami), AND that we are also booked on your March 29th cruise!

My suggestion for lodging would be the Galvez. It is a beautiful old hotel right on the seawall and had little damage from Ike. I'm sure you could reserve rooms for March right now.

One of the most "famous" restuarants in Galveson, Gaido's, is several blocks west of the Galvez on the seawall. It is open now. While it is not inexpensive, their seafood is fresh and always good.

Both of these places are Galveston originals that I like to support instead of national chains. Also check http://galveston.com for more suggestions.

Hi and Congrats! I think you have all the advice now that you need..just wanted to say my son is getting married on the beach in Galveston in Feb, and the reception at Gaidos afterwards..Gaidos is in pretty good shape, but cant say as much for the beach...notice the "new" ocean on the beach..hope its gone by Feb...:D They do say there will be a big improvement by March. Good luck to you!! Dot

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=71aa697d-359c-442b-b699-a864445b30b3&Aux=44|0|8CB10AB44476BB0|

photo.jpg

I am staying at the galvez in April. sorry i will not be cruising with the bride. the a a full spa there and a pool. i am sure if you call today and book your rooms then ask fro the salon you are all set.

also if any in yuor group eats mexican:D check out police Street fro dinner. your hotel can pre book whatever you want.

congrats

• 3 weeks later...

I made a few phone calls and someone that I worked with suggested Moody Gardens. Can anyone tell me a little bit about that hotel? When I called they gave me a decent rate on my block of rooms. They also did tell me that they were running low on rooms for my date...

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Not sure where my original post went....

Anyway, I called Mosquito Cafe the other day and no answer, so I guess that means they are not open yet. I am waiting patiently so I can call about my rehearsal dinner, so if anyone sees that it has reopened, let me know. Although, I do feel kind of bad about calling them as soon as they open back up...I am sure they are busy enough....

Thanks! :o

My mom got married on The Splendour of The Seas out of Galveston 2 years

they had their rehearsal dinner at the Galvez and a bunch of us stayed there, too (we went on the cruise with her!)

It was a wonderful experience, start to finish!

Try going to www.galveston.com/weddings for links to salons, etc. That website also has updated lists of the restaurants open since Ike. I think Mosquito is very close to opening. So keep trying. As far as hotels, call many and call them often. Most are full right now, and might continue to be full. The rooms that do open up will be snatched up pretty quickly because that's right around spring break. So, just be diligent. And expect to pay twice as much for a room on a Saturday than you would on a weekday. That's just the way things work here. Good luck with your search. I'm kinda in your boat too. I'm getting married a month after you and I'm trying to find hotels for our family members and places to hold events.

My son is getting married in Galveston Feb 7th, and we have a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn Resort. After Ike, those plans were squashed, but as of last week, they were able to accomodate us again...Dot

My son is getting married in Galveston Feb 7th, and we have a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn Resort. After Ike, those plans were squashed, but as of last week, they were able to accomodate us again...Dot

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of a rate did you get on a block of rooms there? I haven't figured out how many rooms I'll need yet, so I haven't called any hotels yet. But, I wanted to get a feel for what they're charging. Granted, Feb 7th is probably off season, whereas my wedding in April will probably be busy season.

Hi, I want to say before Ike we were quoted $125 a night, but its now $139 a night, that includes the weekend..Friday and Saturday, which are the most expensive nights.I can live with the price though...and that was going thru a wedding planner...dont know how much if you do it on your own... Dot

I looked it up online and the prices are considerably more expensive $188 for a standard room verses $121 for Feb. 5-7.

Yeah, I've looked at all the online prices, but was hoping to score a deal with a block of rooms. Doesn't sound like I'll get too much of one though. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Not sure where my original post went....

Anyway, I called Mosquito Cafe the other day and no answer, so I guess that means they are not open yet. I am waiting patiently so I can call about my rehearsal dinner, so if anyone sees that it has reopened, let me know. Although, I do feel kind of bad about calling them as soon as they open back up...I am sure they are busy enough....

Thanks! :o

Stopped by today - Mosquito Cafe is opening Friday, January 30th!

• 1 month later...

We stayed there on Sat night before our Mar 1 cruise. Room was nice, clean, bed very comfortable. Breakfast delicious, staff very gracious. Valet parkers and bellmen were really sharp getting cruisers in and out! There was a thread a while back about a wedding in Galveston so wanted to mention that we watched a wedding on the lawn late Sat afternoon. Saw very nice reception dinner set up in room off of the main lobby dining room which wedding party could enter from the lawn after the wedding.

My suggestion for lodging would be the Galvez. It is a beautiful old hotel right on the seawall and had little damage from Ike. I'm sure you could reserve rooms for March right now.

One of the most "famous" restuarants in Galveson, Gaido's, is several blocks west of the Galvez on the seawall. It is open now. While it is not inexpensive, their seafood is fresh and always good.

Both of these places are Galveston originals that I like to support instead of national chains. Also check http://galveston.com for more suggestions.

I totally agree with this. The Hotel Galvez has so much charm and it's an historic hotel. My 3 daughters all married within 11 months. We were able to get their bridal portraits taken on the grounds and inside the hotel...yes, all three of them at one time! The concierge and staff at The Galvez were wonderful. I highly recommend The Galvez AND Gaido's for dinner!

Archived