ISO Lobster in Portland, ME

annie0501

I would think that they are all accessible, however on the possibility that one may be grandfathered in as a historical building, it may not be accessible.

My suggestion would be for you to enlarge a Google map as to where they show the restaurants, you could most likely get the restaurants website where you could get contact info and email them just to make sure.

From a quick glance, there is The Portland Lobster Company that would be worth checking out. I believe the ship docks about a half mile north of it.

Good luck,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

Also try dimillos....lots of seafood and on a boat permanently docked... quick call would tell you for sure.....that area is paved with bricks....very pretty but not always practical....becky's is a further distance but a local favorite...if your scooter is well charged you should be able to get there.....I only use a scooter on the ship so hard for me to tell for sure....Google should be very helpful...there are good cutouts and ped crossings.....have a great day in a beautiful city!!

The Portland Lobster Company is located on Commercial St just a short distance from where the ship will dock. However many of the buildings on Commercial St do not have accessible entrances due to steps and being in the historical district. Therefore suggest you call to check.

Here's the link : http://www.portlandlobstercompany.com/

Dimillos is also in the historic district on Commercial St. so suggest calling to make certain it has an accessible entrance. Here's the linkhttp://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/directions.html

Edited by xxoocruiser

I found Portland to be less accessible than other ports on our New England itinerary - lots of shops where my wife was able to get inside but I was stuck in the wheelchair at the bottom of a big step.

I don't know if they are on your particular voyage, but there were very accessible lobster places in both Newport RI and Bar Harbor within easy rolling distance from the jetty where the tender dropped off. The lobster was excellent and the places accessible. Newport was flat, Bar Harbor had a wheelchair lift to the lower ground floor.

"I don't know if they are on your particular voyage, but there were very accessible lobster places in both Newport RI and Bar Harbor within easy rolling distance from the jetty where the tender dropped off.\"

We aren't going in to Newport and tendering at Bar Harbor is not possible, according to RC. So I'll poke around and hope something works!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I called dimillos today.....they are accessible and have an hc stall in the bathroom....not a very long scoot to get there and they have decks outside....it is true that many of the older buildings do have a step or 2 up but so much new development there is up to code...commercial st is full of places to poke around....one street up a steep little hill has many of the same type of thing...so don't think you will miss out if it looks too steep....I hope you enjoy your day in portland...,we even have a duck boat and trolley now....!

We always head to Gilbert's Chowder House on Commercial Street. They have an outside area that is delightful. As stated previously, the older section on Commercial Street has bricked sidewalks which are a little challenging. Also the curb cuts seem to have an angle to them so be careful. Commercial Street is the first street after you get out of the port area.....but know that it is a good 1/4 mile to get out of the secured port area. Make a left and the eateries appear after about 4 blocks. Dimilios is fancier, very accessible but you must go through their parking lot to get to it. Portland Lobster Co. has picnic tables only.

In Halifax, there is a market that has Lobster Rolls inside and small tables. If you do the Harbor Walk (totally accessible)' about 1 mile is a nice real restaurant called Murphy's that has inside/outside accessibile seating. It's famous and well known. Stop for Cow's Ice Cream too.

In Saint John, across from the dock is a rustic restaurant called Steamers. Small, but doable inside. In nice weather they have a parking lot of tables and music.

If you go to the market use the pedway (a system of indoor elevators that leads to the market, avoiding steep hill ...google it). Many eateries and places in there. A scooter would have no problem scooting down hill on return.

Boston.......Quincy Market....fast food paradise with tables in the middle.

But......to your surprise you will find high prices at all as they are all tourist areas! Enjoy. Vicki

• 2 weeks later...