Olympus tg-860 vs tg-4

fletch1027

I'm looking into a new underwater camera, and it seems like the Olympus line of Tough cameras seem to be pretty high on everyone's lists.

Looking at the current models, it seems the tg-860 is the "little brother" of the tg-4, and there is around a $100 price difference between the two.

In my case, my plans for it are underwater snorkeling photos and other things like planes at Maho Beach.

That being said, I'm looking for opinions to see if my use case makes it worth the extra $100 for the tg-4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the extra $100 for the TG-4 was worth it for the higher quality images through RAW file. The TG-860 does not shoot in RAW. JPG only.

The TG-4 shoots both RAW and JPG

Some features the TG-4 has that the TG-860 does not is;

-Timelapse recording

-Longer battery life

-Built in GPS

-Faster lens and lower aperture

-Manual exposure mode

-Aperture priority mode <----VERY important with me, I shoot aperture priority most of the time.

-Higher storage buffer for continuous shooting.

TG-4

http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/oly_tg4

TG-860

http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/oly_tg860

Looks like the TG-870 was just released a few weeks ago. pretty much same as the T-860 except this one has GPS and timelapse recording.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/olympus_tg870

I'll stick with the TG-4 though. I have to have RAW, manual exposure and aperture priority on my camera. My main camera is a Nikon D5200 DSLR and i'm spoiled with fast lenses and full manual controls.

• 2 weeks later...

Go with the TG4, *especially* since you plan on underwater shots.

IMHO the ability to shoot RAW format and non-destructively adjust whitebalance after the fact is indispensable for snorkeling photos.

Memory cards are cheap; shoot in RAW+JPG and you have the best of both worlds. The out of camera jpegs for anything you don't need to tweak, plus RAW files if you want to revisit whitebalance and other image aspects later on.

BTW, watch the Olympus outlet store: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras.html?camera_series_sortable=365&ici=savingsnav_outlet-recon-cameras&icn=topnav

Just be aware the warranty is shorter from there. You can extend the warranty of course, for a price. :)

Edited by gpb11

After receiving and playing with the Olympus TG-4 camera I had one big complaint with it. There is NOTHING protecting the lens of the camera. I cant count how many times I put my finger on it and got smudges and finger prints on the lens just holding or carrying it around. Its a coated lens and cleaning it constantly or touching it with dirty fingers will either scratch it or take the coating off. So i ordered the Olympus lens ring adapter for the Olympus TG series camera.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080DIYZW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It was said in reviews that it comes with a lens cap even though it doesn't say or show it in description or product pictures.

I recieved the Adapter ring today and it DOES come with a lens cap. I also ordered the Vivitar filter set for it too.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-3-Piece-Multi-Coated-Filter-40-5mm/dp/B005VDWFQI/ref=pd_sim_421_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Kh1oMxhtL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0AHP48ZJ1JR3NTFYHYZM

I have to say installing it was simple, like literally 5 seconds simple. Now the lens is protected and i have a simple filter set i can use on it too.

I highly recommend this adapter ring and filter set for anyone who has any of the Olympus TG series. It fits TG-1 through TG-4 cameras. Just dont use the filters for underwater use. lol.

• 4 weeks later...
For me the extra $100 for the TG-4 was worth it for the higher quality images through RAW file. The TG-860 does not shoot in RAW. JPG only.

The TG-4 shoots both RAW and JPG

Some features the TG-4 has that the TG-860 does not is;

-Timelapse recording

-Longer battery life

-Built in GPS

-Faster lens and lower aperture

-Manual exposure mode

-Aperture priority mode <----VERY important with me, I shoot aperture priority most of the time.

-Higher storage buffer for continuous shooting.

TG-4

http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/oly_tg4

TG-860

http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/oly_tg860

Could you please tell me where you have "manual exposure mode" on your TG4? I don't see it mentioned on the reviews of this camera. There is an "aperture exposure mode" which is nice and I see where that there is an "exposure compensation" feature on this camera.....that is a plus too.

Just trying to figure out what you mean when you state that there is an "manual exposure mode" on this camera. :confused:

Any help is appreciated.

Could you please tell me where you have "manual exposure mode" on your TG4? I don't see it mentioned on the reviews of this camera. There is an "aperture exposure mode" which is nice and I see where that there is an "exposure compensation" feature on this camera.....that is a plus too.

Just trying to figure out what you mean when you state that there is an "manual exposure mode" on this camera. :confused:

Any help is appreciated.

Aperture priority mode

Program mode

And 2 other custom modes that you can program camera settings and save the settings for return use are considered manual exposure modes

And any of those settings you can manually adjust WB, ISO, Exposure compensation and aperture

I have not figured out how to manually adjust shutter speed yet though. I know in reviews and specs it says shutter speed can be from 1/2000 to 4 seconds. Just haven't had time to play with it that much. It may not even be adjustable for all I know. the shutter speeds range its claiming may be from the different programmed scenes

But you can adjust Exposure compensation.

White balance

ISO

It is not a FULL manual control camera for sure but it does have Aperture priority, White balance, exposure compensation and ISO settings. I just don't think it has shutter priority or manual shutter settings. that would just about make it a FULL manual control camera.

Edited by Jeepenfun

Aperture priority mode

Program mode

And 2 other custom modes that you can program camera settings and save the settings for return use are considered manual exposure modes

And any of those settings you can manually adjust WB, ISO, Exposure compensation and aperture

I have not figured out how to manually adjust shutter speed yet though. I know in reviews and specs it says shutter speed can be from 1/2000 to 4 seconds. Just haven't had time to play with it that much. It may not even be adjustable for all I know. the shutter speeds range its claiming may be from the different programmed scenes

But you can adjust Exposure compensation.

White balance

ISO

It is not a FULL manual control camera for sure but it does have Aperture priority, White balance, exposure compensation and ISO settings. I just don't think it has shutter priority or manual shutter settings. that would just about make it a FULL manual control camera.

Maybe someday they will come out with a small waterproof camera (like the TG 4) that will have full manual control.....wishful thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

I am an amateur photographer. I have a Lumix DMC-100 camera I use on trips and I am very happy with the quality of pictures, the close ups, the landscapes, telephoto, etc.

Going on a cruise that will involve lots of beach time and some snorkeling - and I live at the beach and am afraid to take my camera anywhere near salt/sand.

Two questions:

Trying to avoid carrying a camera bag with two cameras, one for the ship and one for off the ship:

a) Are the picture qualities I will find with a "tough" camera, whether the TG-4 or another one comparable to my Lumix (realizing you may not own a Lumix)?

b) Do I really need the RAW feature of the Olympus TG-4? Or is this more a premium option?

thanks in advance for your opinion.

dave

I bought a TG4 for my most recent cruise with beach/snorkel time. I also own micro4/3 system cameras (Olympus) so am familiar with the capabilities of that size sensor.

#1 - The photos you take with the TG4 that you brought with you will be infinitely better than the photos you missed because you left your Lumix back in the cabin. :D Think about that a bit. Do you take your camera with you to the beach or pool or when it's likely to rain? If you do take it, is it hidden away and tucked inside ziplock bags? Or is it attached right to your backpack shoulder strap or in your hand? Being able to have a camera with me while hanging out at (and IN) the pool and in the ocean was great.

That said, the TG4 both has a smaller sensor, and also has an folded image pathway. These are the tradeoffs you accept to gain the ruggedness and waterproof rating. Image quality is still fine for 8x10 prints, albeit I might not do 16x20's with it.

#2 - IMHO it's silly NOT to have the RAW files as a "digital negative". Not only do RAW files allow you to easily adjust white-balance after the fact (useful for snokeling shots) but you can also recover more detail if you bobble the exposure a little. Plus you can go back years later and re-adjust stuff from the RAW files with newer/more-modern software. I've done that recently with ten year old images I'd shot in RAW and was very glad to have that ability.

Plus if you shoot in RAW+JPEG you have best of both worlds. Storage is CHEAP.

I went with the TG-860 after comparing them non-stop for a few weeks. The big deciding factor was the flip up screen, other things were almost the same.

Not worth the extra money. I also tend to leave it on auto when shooting quick. I have a DSLR for other needs and RAW shooting. The video tended to be better than the TG-4, granted subjective, but reviews tended to agree.

The 860 had a wider field of view 21 vs 25.

In a normal room, you can compensate and go with the ISO 3200 vs ISO 800 or so.

Its all very personal, and depends on what you plan to do. I use it as a tough point and shoot and snorkeling/light dives.

One of the reviewers posted:

"The tg 860, which I have just ordered, is less expensive and is made to be more simple user friendly and more automatic point and shoot for those that aren't experienced photographers. The ultra wide angle is to dip into the action camera market and the flip screen to appeal to those who are taking selfies. Photographer will appreciate the flip screen and the wide angle but will find the interface a little less rewarding because to adjust the exposure compensation on the 860 you must go into a menu where as the tg-4 has it on the four way controller. The tg-4 has 2 custom setting positions and meaningful(to photographers)stuff like P and A on the control dial whereas the tg860 the control dial is covered with a bunch of silly modes like sport, art and two people side by side. A photographer will appreciate the brighter lens and raw capture, whereas someone who hasn't shot thousands of pictures and looked at them critically or taken a few lessons probably won't be cursing because the opening in the lens isn't big enough or they have to press more buttons to adjust exposure compensation, white balance, focus mode, metering mode. If it seems like I'd prefer the tg-4, I probably would but I already have 2 batteries for the tg860 and for the small difference in handling and lens I'll take the 120$ difference and spend that on 15 or 20 days of travel."

Oh, and I forgot to say the money I saved paid for a Wifi enabled Hard drive with SD card capability. It was 2 or 3 Tb and can transfer photos to it or just pop in the SD card and automatically copy the photos for archive.

I have a DSLR for other needs and RAW shooting.

On my most recent cruise the place where RAW made the most difference was in the underwater / snorkeling shots. White balance was challenging even using the presets, and I found it very very helpful to be able to tweak WB in post processing.

The other significant difference between the two models is the TG4 has the ability to utilize filters such as a circular polarizer or neutral density via the CLA-T01 adapter.

Much of the choice IMHO boils down to whether you're carrying the camera by itself into wet environments (beach, backpacking, etc) or if you're carrying it as a supplement to other cameras.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some photos and videos taken with the TG-4 from our April 17th cruise. I have the lens cap & filter adapter for this camera and was using the CPL filter except for the underwater shots.

From Grand Cayman stingray city. all photos and videos of stingray city were from the TG-4

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/bhugo4x4/library/April%202016%20Carnival%20Cruise%20on%20Splendor/Cruise%20Day%206

most of these are from Roatan island at west bay beach, snorkeling and Bodden monkey business tour.

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/bhugo4x4/library/April%202016%20Carnival%20Cruise%20on%20Splendor/Cruise%20Day%205

These are from Belize cavetubing. again all the ones of cave tubing were taken with the TG-4.

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/bhugo4x4/library/April%202016%20Carnival%20Cruise%20on%20Splendor/Cruise%20day%204

it took sharp clear pictures and worked flawlessly, small compact and easy to carry with wrist strap.