What to do in St. Maarten?!

norwane

Hello~

We will be on Royal's IOS next April (2015). :D One of the stops is St. Maarten. I am a beach person. :) My DH is not. :( And, he does not do well in the heat. I have heard that St. Maarten is a great place for lying on the beach.

So, any suggestions as how both of us can be happy at this port? Should we do an excursion through RCI? Go through a private person (like the Mailman, whom I have heard great things about!)? What happens if the port gets canceled or DH or I can't go to the port, due to health issues, etc? Would we get our money back from a private party? :confused:

If we do something like the Mailman (or another excursion that you all recommend), where we have a partial beach day, is there somewhere for DH to be (in the AC and out of the sun) while I am working on my sunburn?! ;)

Thanks!!

Here is what we do so it will give you an idea. Have you never been there? Well from the pier area get the water taxi...approx. $8 round trip. When you get on the other side there are 2 let off points one to the left one to the right. In the area between there is a beach. We usually go over and get 2 chairs, umbrella, bucket of beverages for $20 total. Then we sit and watch people swim some and such. Go early. Then about lunch time..gather your stuff up (by the way we sit in front of the Holland House a white hotel to the right if you get off the left let off spot.)

Then for lunch go to the "right" kinda....you will see hotels and eateries...but near the pharmacy you will see The Blue B**** Bar (yep you know the word) and have some of the best nachos ever! and other yummys. Sit outside or inside. Then wander over 1 block and walk down the street to view the stores. And back to the pier for your water taxi back over. It is a relaxing and comfy day.

Lou

Hi Lou!

Thanks for the advice! No, we have not been there before. What is the name of the beach you are recommending? I would be fine, but DH would get pretty bored, just sitting there. Any ideas for him?

Thanks again!

Wow name of it is "first beach off of water taxi?" sorry it is just "right there" so don't know....when you get off though lots of people will offer you chairs and umbrellas for the $20....Holland House though is the white hotel and just suggest saying no thank you until you get to that location. Your hubby can sit there in the chair (in shorts and be comfy) and then go walking the waterfront. Plenty of fun there. A suggestion is also for him to take the bus excursion...about $25 from the ship....it tours the island and gives you an overview and then meet you (the bus will ask if you want to be let out in town) and have a meeting place. Or both do that just to get an overview and then head to beach area for just a sit down and a quick swim....by then empty chairs probably. You can email me at lou at louhood dot com and put in the subject St. Maarten and I can send you some pics of that area.

Lou

Edited by cruisingrightalong

Another suggestion for a first timer in St Maarten would be to take a tour of the island with Bernards tour who is highly recommended on Tripadvisor. Below are some comments from people are cruise critic that have already been on their tours. If your husband is not into spending time on a beach, than Tour 1 would be my suggestion.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2076698

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147346-d1840452-Reviews-Bernard_s_Tours-St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

http://www.bernardstours.com/

The beach near the port which the water taxi will take you to in Philipsburg is called Great Bay.

I saw on one of the post that Great Bay Beach water had pollution problems; the post was in August 2014

Correct, there has been talk about pollution in Great Bay here on cruise critic. The latest article that is listed on the web is dated December of 13 2013, there is no other updated info. listed. Many tourists still go to Great Bay Beach and heard that locals do not use that beach.

http://www.thedailyherald.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44784:improvement-in-fresh-pond-but-great-salt-pond-faces-challenges-&catid=1:islands-news&Itemid=54

Correct, there has been talk about pollution in Great Bay here on cruise critic. The latest article that is listed on the web is dated December of 13 2013, there is no other updated info. listed. Many tourists still go to Great Bay Beach and heard that locals do not use that beach.

http://www.thedailyherald.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44784:improvement-in-fresh-pond-but-great-salt-pond-faces-challenges-&catid=1:islands-news&Itemid=54

I think that the quoted article points out that Great Bay Beach has much improved in water quality.

I wouldn't go into the water on either end of the beach, but I guess some splashing around anywhere near the middle (The Little Pier) is probably fine now.

I wouldn't have said that a couple years ago.

gary