Mary the Opera Singing Cruiser?

summersigh

Oh wow, I had a flashback today - Mary Mastony singing her opera at the QM2 ship's talent show.!!!! :eek:

We had lunch with her a couple of times ... she was ancient back in 2007 and spent a lot of the year at that time aboard the QM2 - the staff treated her so sweetly - it's like it's her long term vacation home. Her dresses were even from the era when she was an opera star. Picture Pink Princess Ball Gowns ... at least 50 years old.

She wrote books they were selling in the library about living on board a cruise ship and her days with the opera. She sang in the ship's talent show one night ... oh my!!

Titles "QE2 Diva", "Around the World with the Diva of the QE2", "Soprano of the High Seas", and "Bravo"

Does anyone else remember meeting Mary?:)

I would book a cruise specially just to see her again.

I still can't quite work out if she was secretly winding us up. A hard act to follow. I doubt we will see her like again.

Thanks for the memory.

David.

I think she was winding Cunard up. Did you ever see her pushed to the Queens Room in a wheelchair by a staff member, dance with the hosts for 45 mins. and then call to be pushed back to her cabin? I guess at her age you have to save your energy for what's important. I couldn't help but like her.

"Virgin Mary" - we enjoyed her several cruises from NYC to the Caribbean. A pleasant person, but we never heard her singing. She had so many stories and her rolling chair was marked with "Diva" - what she definitely was.

"Virgin Mary" - we enjoyed her several cruises from NYC to the Caribbean. A pleasant person, but we never heard her singing. She had so many stories and her rolling chair was marked with "Diva" - what she definitely was.

Those wonderfully nostalgic stories are one reason we enjoyed our lunches at her table. The first time we were seated there by the luck of the draw :) The 2nd time we entered the MDR soon after Mary did and we asked to be seated at her table. Both times they seated her at a round table for 10.

She had the willing, total attention of everyone at the table.:) I think she had all of us mulling over the (even if improbable) idea of running off and living aboard one of the Queens!!:p

Mary Matory was definitely a delightful legend!

Mary, along with a large cast of other colorful eccentrics, including Bea Muller, were on my full world cruise of QE2 in 2007. I've never seen quite an entourage on all of my Queen Mary 2 cruises and crossings combined.;)

I want to echo bobby1119. "The Diva" Mary Mastony and Bea Muller and a whole host of other real characters, such as "Bought and Paid For," were on the Farewell World Cruise of the marvelous QE2 in 2008. I had the so-called privilege of hearing Mary perform several times during the talent shows! She was at the table for eight I sat at during the last segment of the 2008 Farewell World Cruise from LA to NYC, and she was a dignified and rather quiet dining companion. I think we were all exhausted from having so much fun by that time!:cool:

I do not know Mary Mastony's current situation, but in early 2014 she was 94 years young and still residing in New Jersey.

Thanks for your reply. I just was thinking she must be in her 90s by now.

I have met Mary a few times over the years. Last time I saw her I think it was on QE maiden world cruise in 2011. Or it may have been QM2 world Cruise in 2012. However, not seem here for a couple of years. I knew Bea Muller from QE2 days and I last saw her on QM2 in 2009. She passed away a year or so ago.

They were both friends of another Cunard character IRMA KLINT from Pasadena CA. I loved these ladies with their style from a by gone age. Mary was in a wheel chair the last time we saw her. She was a unique lady.

Edited by maggiemou