Drake - 1-day - see the island but enjoy the culture?

Nettie8

Drake - sailing on Jewel of the Seas and 1-day stop Monday March 6. We don't want to spend the day at a beach or snorkeling....but want to see the island and have time to appreciate its culture/local.

I've read the other threads (loved the driving map!). I had wanted to rent a car and go to Point Udall, lunch in C'sted, Cruzan tour, DominoClub, sugar plantation potentially and Fort Frederikstad - plus time to have one of those fine cocktails you recommended. BUT - even I can tell there is no way to fit all that in in an 8-5 stop.....

Is Point Udall worth it? I think it would be neat to go there (and go there first to beat the crowds). I feel like that is what we have to drop simply because of the distance?

I also think we drop the Sugar Plantation - would probably like the Fort better.

So....what do you think of pick up rental car, go to Cruzan first (oh - I need to look when it opens), Christiansted for lunch (Angry Nates?) (time to walk a little?), back via a stop at Domino Club, back to port and return car. Walk to Fort, then finish with cocktails (have to look at map if we are closer to Freedom City or Rainbow at this point) before getting back on ship?

Does that seem doable/like a good route, or do you think we can fit Point Udall in there?

Assuming best for this is to rent car versus hire, and looks like best place to rent is budget in the port area?

Drake - sailing on Jewel of the Seas and 1-day stop Monday March 6. We don't want to spend the day at a beach or snorkeling....but want to see the island and have time to appreciate its culture/local.

I've read the other threads (loved the driving map!). I had wanted to rent a car and go to Point Udall, lunch in C'sted, Cruzan tour, DominoClub, sugar plantation potentially and Fort Frederikstad - plus time to have one of those fine cocktails you recommended. BUT - even I can tell there is no way to fit all that in in an 8-5 stop.....

Is Point Udall worth it? I think it would be neat to go there (and go there first to beat the crowds). I feel like that is what we have to drop simply because of the distance?

I also think we drop the Sugar Plantation - would probably like the Fort better.

So....what do you think of pick up rental car, go to Cruzan first (oh - I need to look when it opens), Christiansted for lunch (Angry Nates?) (time to walk a little?), back via a stop at Domino Club, back to port and return car. Walk to Fort, then finish with cocktails (have to look at map if we are closer to Freedom City or Rainbow at this point) before getting back on ship?

Does that seem doable/like a good route, or do you think we can fit Point Udall in there?

Assuming best for this is to rent car versus hire, and looks like best place to rent is budget in the port area?

I love this question! It's well thought out and you've done your homework, thank you for that.

Definitely skip Point Udall, it's cool for sunrise but not that special at 8am.

Cruzan opens at 9am so I think that will work out fine.

Pick up the rental car from Budget (it's right across from the pier), go to Cruzan for the tour, C'sted for brunch (Angry Nates or RumRunners), walk the boardwalk, Domino Club for beer drinking pigs, return car, walk to Freedom City, drink, relax, watch for the green flash.

Seems perfectly doable to me, if a bit stressful for a vacation day. Try not to overexert and really enjoy the island, it's a wonderful place.