Soufriere by Spanish Galleon

CruisermanVA

We're going to be in St. Lucia next January - the first time for us. We will be on a Royal Caribbean ship and are thinking of one of their excursions that takes you around the island by a replica Spanish Galleon. The description on the Royal website says:

Enjoy a scenic sail on the west coast of beautiful St. Lucia aboard a 16th-century replica Spanish Galleon, voyaging to the town of Soufriere, home to the Pitons (two mountainous volcanic spires) as well as mineral mud baths. Relax with camera in hand as guides relate the history and many interesting facts about the island. Sail past the famous Marigot Bay and the fishing villages of Anse La Raye and Canaries before setting eyes on the majestic Pitons, a St. Lucia icon and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Arriving in Soufriere, board a bus to the world’s only drive-in volcano. There, take time to soothe your body and mind at the therapeutic hot mineral mud baths. Then head to Morne Corbaril Estate, an 18th-century working plantation, for a creole buffet lunch. After, cruise up the gorgeous the coastline to a pretty bay for a swim in the clear Caribbean before returning to the Castries Harbor.

Sounds good to us, but there have been no reviews. Anyone ever take this tour? It's not cheap but we'd gladly pay if it's worth the money.

We're going to be in St. Lucia next January - the first time for us. We will be on a Royal Caribbean ship and are thinking of one of their excursions that takes you around the island by a replica Spanish Galleon. The description on the Royal website says:

Sounds good to us, but there have been no reviews. Anyone ever take this tour? It's not cheap but we'd gladly pay if it's worth the money.

It's essentially the same tour as many others offered via catamaran or speedboat - this one is via a Galleon replica, Black Magic. You can see pictures of it at SeaSpray Cruises website. Your tour is not the Pirate's tour, I'm pretty sure, or there would be info about it in the description, but the boat is the same, stops the same, etc. Morne Coubaril is beautiful, great food, lovely restored plantation. I'm sure you would enjoy. Just keep in mind, seating won't be the most comfortable on the Galleon - they weren't built for comfort! Lol.. But, I'm sure it would be a fun day.

If the Galleon puts you off, plenty of catamaran and speedboat options too..Enjoy your visit.

We did this tour in February of this year and it was amazing!!! We had heard bad things about the excursions that you ride a boat to Soufriere but a bus back. So that is why we chose this excursion because you ride the huge pirate ship there and back. You do take a short ride from the dock to the mud bathes and buffet lunch but that's it. We had a ton of people taking pics of our sweet pirate ship from other tour boats! It's the one you want to be on! On the way back the anchor the ship so you can walk the plank or swing out off the side an drop it through water to swim and snorkel. I could go on for ever about this excursion. When we got back to the AOS, we went right over to the excursion desk and told them all about our great day as there was not any reviews when we booked it either.

A tip I can give you, take a cheap bar of soap to the mud baths. It takes the mud off in the showers a ton easier!!

• 2 weeks later...
We did this tour in February of this year and it was amazing!!! We had heard bad things about the excursions that you ride a boat to Soufriere but a bus back. So that is why we chose this excursion because you ride the huge pirate ship there and back. You do take a short ride from the dock to the mud bathes and buffet lunch but that's it. We had a ton of people taking pics of our sweet pirate ship from other tour boats! It's the one you want to be on! On the way back the anchor the ship so you can walk the plank or swing out off the side an drop it through water to swim and snorkel. I could go on for ever about this excursion. When we got back to the AOS, we went right over to the excursion desk and told them all about our great day as there was not any reviews when we booked it either.

A tip I can give you, take a cheap bar of soap to the mud baths. It takes the mud off in the showers a ton easier!!

Do you have any idea if there is an age limit to the mud baths? I thought I saw it somewhere (other than the RCCL excursion site) but now can't find it. I will have a 6 yr old with me. Thanks!

Do you have any idea if there is an age limit to the mud baths? I thought I saw it somewhere (other than the RCCL excursion site) but now can't find it. I will have a 6 yr old with me. Thanks!

The Sulphur Springs themselves do not have a minimum age, however your excursion operator might - you'd have to check with them.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
How strict are they on the height and weight limits they show on the rci excursion page for this tour? Does anyone know.

I am also interested in the answer to this question as well. Will be close to the weight limit by the time we sail but might not make it:').