Order Globe Theatre Tkts Early

I plan to attend a performance at the Globe, but not till mid August. While checking prices and seating, I was surprised to discover how early the prime seating areas fill up.

There were only a few Lower Gallery seats remaining for my Sunday matinee, so I advance ordered.

Unlike most West End theatres, Globe seems to sell out early. Except, maybe, the "standing" area. A bargain at only 5GBP! :p

I should mention that Globe's charge to my CC matched the "official" exchange rate for that day. Very nice of them to not add on a fee.

Of course, my CC company added their usual 3%.

http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/theatre/boxoffice/seatingplanandticketprices/

BTW - During a previous London visit, I took the Globe's guided Tour. It was conducted by a company member who was not only articulate and entertaining,

but also quite knowledgeable about the original Globe's history as well as its 20th C replication. A first rate experience.

I should mention that Globe's charge to my CC matched the "official" exchange rate for that day. Very nice of them to not add on a fee.

Of course, my CC company added their usual 3%.

Is it just that the Globe charged you the GBP price, which was then converted by your credit card company at the official rate? That is what I would normally expect. This is one of the benefits of using a credit card for foreign exchange transactions: you usually get the foreign amount converted to your own currency at something very close to the bank rate, and then get the commission added on. It's more transparent than juggling with different spreads, fees, commissions etc.

One hint for the Globe: It's well worth renting one of the seat backs. A cushion on its own just doesn't do it - you'll end up with a seriously aching back unless you're used to sitting bolt upright for hours with no back support.

Stevesan - I think I've seen your name on our roll call....

What are you seeing? I just booked 2 restricted view tix for Romeo and Juliet. I was disappointed that we couldn't get anything better but we decided to do it just for the experience. There were only a few seats left.

Thanks for the advice re seat backs!

I don't think they do the guided tours during this time of year - do you know?

Lynda

Is it just that the Globe charged you the GBP price, which was then converted by your credit card company at the official rate? That is what I would normally expect. This is one of the benefits of using a credit card for foreign exchange transactions: you usually get the foreign amount converted to your own currency at something very close to the bank rate, and then get the commission added on. It's more transparent than juggling with different spreads, fees, commissions etc.

One hint for the Globe: It's well worth renting one of the seat backs. A cushion on its own just doesn't do it - you'll end up with a seriously aching back unless you're used to sitting bolt upright for hours with no back support.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. My poor old L2 can't take much strain!

Stevesan - I think I've seen your name on our roll call....

What are you seeing? I just booked 2 restricted view tix for Romeo and Juliet. I was disappointed that we couldn't get anything better but we decided to do it just for the experience. There were only a few seats left.

Thanks for the advice re seat backs!

I don't think they do the guided tours during this time of year - do you know?

Lynda

I booked Euripides' Helen for Aug 9th, something of a prequel to Helen Of Troy. I'm sure Oscar Wilde went to school on the basic plot. :p

http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/theatre/annualtheatreseason/helen/

The Globe Theatre tours continue thru the summer. Here's the schedule:

http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/exhibitiontour/planyourvisit/openingtimes/

We are booked for Romeo and Juliet in early September, we always go to at least one of the plays every year. The Friar is played by a New Zealander who used to be on Play School when I was a regular viewer ;)

Limited seasons of any play are always difficult to get tickets to in London. Witness the up current productions of The Cherry Tree, Warhorse and Waiting for Godot, plus the Globe isn't a very big venue.

I second the seat cushions and backs (unless you are sitting in the back row).

We have lower gallery tix to see Troilus & Cressida in July. We ordered them back in March, directly from the theatre's on-line service, and they were mailed to us. Good to know the tip about renting the seat cushions & backs. I recently sat on bleachers for my DD's middle school band concert and my poor back was in misery.

If I were you I would purchase tickets ahead of time. We were in London in September of 07 and wanted to see a performance. We thought since we wanted the groundling tickets there would be no problem midweek to get tickets. WRONG! We did get the tickets after standing in line for a couple of hours to purchase returned tickets. You have to go around to the side to wait in line. Just ask. We bought the last 4 seats. There were only 4 tickets sold before that. We had a wonderful time being groundlings. The actors came down through the groundlings. They were right next to us. I highly recommend viewing a play. Also helpful is to see what is playing on the Globe website and reread the play before. Another suggestion is to be sure you eat before the performance as many establishments do not sell food only liquid refreshments after 9:30 pm. Fortunately our hotel was most accommodating and made us toast at 11 pm. Enjoy!

Pearl64

I looked at the web site for the Globe. We would definately be interested in a tour of the theater, but it didn't give times of the tour. Is it a constant thing, like every hour , or are there set times for the tours??

I looked at the web site for the Globe. We would definately be interested in a tour of the theater, but it didn't give times of the tour. Is it a constant thing, like every hour , or are there set times for the tours??

I don't recall the exact times, but the tours are at regular intervals. Since the tour lasts ~45 minutes, it's probably every hour.

You can spend wait time looking thru the exhibit.

"Tickets include the 40-minute guided tour of the theatre, plus an all-day ticket to the Exhibition."

Couple of plays we enjoyed in London recently:

We saw "War Horse" at the National but it's now playing at the New London Theatre on Drury Lane.

Also excellent is "Duet for One," which we tried to see in March at the Almeida but was sold out. We did get tix in May when it moved to Vaudeville Theatre on The Strand - it runs to Aug. 1.

Archived