Walk to Dunn Falls from the ship?

alexwilmacir

We are taking WC on Norwegian Epic on April 6. On Googe maps it is 3.6 km (2 miles) to the falls. How dangerous to walk there? Is a lot of crime reported?

We explored some Caribbean islands on our own before, like St. Lucia and etc.

But I do not know about Jamaca, is it worth take a risk or better stay on the boat. We like to walk or hike and it is great opportunity for short walk, but...

Take a tour or taxi for 2 miles ??

I do not mind to drive or walk around and see some all inclusive resorts to explore opportunity for for next Jamaica visit. Would, somebody, please, recommend ? Is it possible to buy access tickets or something?

Depends, do you have a death wish? Lol the road is a narrow, mountain/cliff with crazy island drivers. Yes you could but it would be very dangerous. You're also risking yourself to crime. It is very shady along the route. A lot of shanty's & squatters.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

NCL Epic has an excursion where you go to Dunns Falls by way of a sail boat.(cool runnings) All you do is walk off the dock and step onto the boat. Once at Dunns you can either climb up the falls in the water or take the scenic walking path.

Fun Excursion!

Ready for our 6th land stay ---- one rule --- use Taxi with RED plate - govt. issued , you will be having no problem! Just tell them when to pick you up

Climbing the Falls will be quite a hike in itself.

MILLLLIONS have got there safely and done it - safely.

If you do it on your own, thru a cab company make sure someone on board knows your plans....

I know you know you are in a foreign country and they do not play by our rules...............

We always book thru the ship excursions..........for a couple bucks more, the peace of mind for safety issues is worth it to us.

Sea Ya

Hi there - we walked from the port about 5 years ago - any excuse to offset the damage from the never ending food!

For part of the way there's a walkway just below the road, but it's not well looked after (or wasn't then) and it disappears after a while so you end up on a narrow country road with quite fast traffic, but it's not that bad.... As others say there's a number of shacks in the bush around the road and were were invited to visit on a number of occasions - interesting smells drifting around... We politely said no and had no trouble.

The road passes over a bridge that crosses the river close to where it reachs the sea after coming down Dunns River Falls and we paid to get in there to use the private beach and get away from the groups of kids trying to sell us anything they could - pretty much the same anywhere there are tourists here or in MoBay.

The actual River Falls walk was far to organised for us and too 'jolly' - but the beach was good (it's all in the same complex and you need to pay to get in) and avoided the hawkers.

So you can walk, but it's not that good and I wouldn't take anything valuable!

Hope that helps....

you can walk it but as mentioned the traffic is a bit crazy

I've walked it, run it, and ridden my bike. 1 or two people at a time (not a group), when we're a family group I take a taxi

you don't have to do the organized climb ... I just climb on my own

climbing is 'free' and you can climb as long, as many times as you wish. You pay for one day's admission to the park . . climbing a few times up and down is a good workout.

drf8.jpg

drf5.jpg

drf4.jpg

My mom and I went to Dunn's River Falls and did not take a ship tour. We got off the ship and there was a ton of drivers and tour people to take people to different places. The price was right and we had over 4 hours to kill before our snorkel excursion, so we got on one of the mini-buses and it took us straight to Dunn's River Falls. We climbed it and had a great time. Make sure you do the "slide" rock, it is super fun! We bought some little wood carvings and the DVD of our climb, and were very pleased with the day. The driving was hectic and I don't believe they have traffic laws, so I would be cautious about walking it if you aren't familiar.

The minibus driver then took us to the market area to shop (totally different atmosphere than Dunn's River Falls, the shop attendants were super pushy), then we went back to meet our ship shore excursion to snorkel that afternoon.