Cruise-Critic.CO.UK

Kindlychap

Well, I'm strictly speaking as an American here so I can'[t presume to know how all of you on the other side of the pond feel, but I'd sure hate to lose you all to another site.:( I'd miss your wit and humour (see what you've done to me??) and I'd feel like a big part of what has made this such an amazingly interesting board was gone.

Perhaps this is something you all have been missing and maybe felt cheated a bit, and were that the case I'd surely understand, but selfishly I think of all of you I'd never have met and now feel a kindship with, and that makes me very sad.

What would we ever do without the commentary of Pepper, Peter, Matthew, Malcolm, Mary, Karen, David, Jimmy, Happyscot (gad!!) and even Sir martin...shhhh, don't let him know I said that!! And all the others who I don't mean to slight but I'm a bit under the gun tonight and didn't want to let this go without a comment....

Please don't go away.....:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

I can't see the need myself.

Nor I, certainly not for what has been, from the beginning, an Anglo-American line like Cunard. I think the real motivation can be found in:

In response to your biggest complaint -- that the bargains we feature on our site are limited to U.S.-based travelers -- Cruise Critic U.K. (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk) will feature deals you can actually take advantage of!

As Babette writes (Hi Babette - how was your crossing?) its an opportunity for them to get more advertising revenue. And since when have we not been able to book in the US?

Peter

Well, I'm strictly speaking as an American here so I can'[t presume to know how all of you on the other side of the pond feel, but I'd sure hate to lose you all to another site.:( I'd miss your wit and humour (see what you've done to me??) and I'd feel like a big part of what has made this such an amazingly interesting board was gone.

Perhaps this is something you all have been missing and maybe felt cheated a bit, and were that the case I'd surely understand, but selfishly I think of all of you I'd never have met and now feel a kindship with, and that makes me very sad.

What would we ever do without the commentary of Pepper, Peter, Matthew, Malcolm, Mary, Karen, David, Jimmy, Happyscot (gad!!) and even Sir martin...shhhh, don't let him know I said that!! And all the others who I don't mean to slight but I'm a bit under the gun tonight and didn't want to let this go without a comment....

Please don't go away.....:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Well stated Penny and I agree completely! :) We need you UK folks here. These boards would not be the same without you.:(

Bettie

I think that this is a bad idea because it will diminish the pool of knowledge and camaraderie available to each of us. And I login to these boards as often as I do because I enjoy dipping into that pool, not because I want to read about the deals and news handouts that Cruise Critic is paid to display.

The way to achieve "a more geo-targeted version of Cruise Critic" is for the software that manages these boards to make the non-posts content that you see a function of where your login originates. I used to write software for a living; believe me, such programming is certainly doable.

Paul

The way to achieve "a more geo-targeted version of Cruise Critic" is for the software that manages these boards to make the non-posts content that you see a function of where your login originates.

Is this not happening already? On this thread there is the following - UK focussed - 'sponsored link' (what can you see your side of the pond?):

Over 2000 Cruise Reviews

Largest UK Cruise Reviews Database Unedited and written by UK Cruisers

www.cruise.co.uk

I've been tired as can be for years with things dedicated to me because I'm from the US. I like everyone in general and prefer to get to know as many people as possible from other places.

Is there some reason they are suggesting the members from the UK wish to be as xenophobic as the US? I would like to think that there are people from the UK, and other countries, who don't generalize to such an extent as this suggests they do?

When it comes to us here on the Cunard board, I don't think any of us would want to be separated, so I wonder where they got the idea we would like to be?

And the last thing I need is another place I would have to go to online to visit with my friends. See? I'm selfish all around.

I agree with all the former posts. I am delighted by the Brit humor! We meet those from across the pond on the ship, even tho' we may not know each other and it's terrific to get perspectives from both cultures on this Board. Why fragment the English (!) speaking group. Next there will be an Aussie Board too and so on? Silly. We should continue to exist as one (if I had a vote)!

Is there anything that would PREVENT us from all staying here?

It would not be a problem for those that already are comfortable with the current board but it might seriously limit new people from joining in on the board from across the pond if CC offers a UK version. People might never think that the real interesting stuff is being posted in several different versions of English over here.

And eventually, I can imagine if the two really got eperated having Americans return from a Cunard trip and post how upset they were when they found out that many of the passengers were not from the US when all they ever heard from were US posters.

There is an old saying "If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it" Way too much of that type of let's jazz up our internet site, let's expand the site and make it really unuseable that way, we can hire more people to try and fix what we broke.

Is this not happening already? On this thread there is the following - UK focussed - 'sponsored link' (what can you see your side of the pond?):

Over 2000 Cruise Reviews

Largest UK Cruise Reviews Database Unedited and written by UK Cruisers

www.cruise.co.uk

Yes. when I am reading the boards I always come across ads for Australian cruise companies so the site seems to know that I am opening it up in Australia.

And who would we have to argue with? Assuming we could, I suspect most of us would ignore the British version of CC and log-in to the international one.

The one polite request I have is that we post relevant dates in a format that we can all understand (ie 10 November and not 10/11 or 11/10); I for one get very confused:confused:.

Mary

And eventually, I can imagine if the two really got eperated having Americans return from a Cunard trip and post how upset they were when they found out that many of the passengers were not from the US when all they ever heard from were US posters.

I would hope they'd be delighted:).

I had assumed that the boards would have remained the same and the change may have been more a cosmetic one to the front page showing UK related offers/news. I would still want to be able to find the same content as per the .com site though

Wonder if this is a side effect of CruiseCritic becoming part of Trip Advisor which is owned by Expedia who have both .com (where cruises are offered) and .co.uk (where cruises are not offered) sites

We'd end up with different CC meetings on board, there'd be fights for the Commodore Club.... cocktails flying everywhere..... canapes in cleavages.... people would end up at the wrong meeting and wonder why everyone is 'foreign' with different silly names than the ones they expected..... chaos.....

What a ludicrous idea!

Surely one of the major advantages of a forum such as ours is that it brings together people from all over the world. To focus on the Cunard board, it really is quite refreshing to communicate with a sector of our colonial cousins who actually are aware that there is a big world outside their own state and that the world does not really want to be American! Not only that, but it binds together a transatlantic community of friends who share fairly diverse humour.

Let's keep it all as dot com.

Vive la difference!

Now to another (and probably more important) issue.

I do like Toffegirl's idea of canapes in the cleavage.

Can this be adopted as a new comptition sport please? We could have points awarded for size of canape, size of cleavage and distance thrown. In the summer months, it could be a deck game and a system of points adjustment based upon wind direction could be applied.

I don't want to talk about dot co dot uk any more. This is much more interesting.

David

Can this be adopted as a new comptition sport please? We could have points awarded for size of canape, size of cleavage and distance thrown. In the summer months, it could be a deck game and a system of points adjustment based upon wind direction could be applied.

I don't want to talk about dot co dot uk any more. This is much more interesting.

David

Wondering where Mrs Dak is at the moment? Well, I'm not one to gossip, but she's practising your new game with Happyscot.

Sir Martin, brave survivor of The Great Flood

Now a dedicated cunard board could be good, where the topics do not always have to be rigidly cunard related. Sort of like a Cunard line with a bit of floataway involved as well.

(you caould have pm's then as well. What an idea.... :rolleyes: )

(Mods, if I am out of line, please feel free to delete this)

I'd like to add my vote to keeping the boards universal, but maybe having separate, and country appropriate, home pages, featuring deals and articles pertaining to the home country.

Then everyone would get their ads in $ or GBP prices, but we could all still chat and share ideas together :)

What a ludicrous idea!

Surely one of the major advantages of a forum such as ours is that it brings together people from all over the world. To focus on the Cunard board, it really is quite refreshing to communicate with a sector of our colonial cousins who actually are aware that there is a big world outside their own state and that the world does not really want to be American! Not only that, but it binds together a transatlantic community of friends who share fairly diverse humour.

Let's keep it all as dot com.

Vive la difference!

Now to another (and probably more important) issue.

David

Sort of like "Edible Quoits"

I'd like to add my vote to keeping the boards universal, but maybe having separate, and country appropriate, home pages, featuring deals and articles pertaining to the home country.

Then everyone would get their ads in $ or GBP prices, but we could all still chat and share ideas together :)

No:) Then you end up with a truly Cunardian set of websites where each one relates to a specific country and, even with a valid reason, it's almost impossible to access one of the other national sites.

Archived