Fastest internet near the port in St Martin? Need to buy concert tickets

brianmyers2

This is an odd question and I doubt anyone will be able to help me but I need really fast wifi in St. Martin when our cruise stops there. Concert tickets go on sale that day and the faster the wifi the better shot I have at getting the tickets I want. Anyone recently been in St. Martin and found a good place with wifi? I don't mind paying or doing whatever I have to do to get a good connection.

I don't trust the wifi on the Quantum as I've been hearing very mixed reviews on the speed.

If you can't have someone back home order for you, I'd go with hard-wired Internet over any WiFi.

Cyberlink Internet Cafe is downtown Philipsburg, between the Boardwalk and Frontstreet, right across from Juggies.

Everyone knows where Juggies is located.

th_DSCN5288.jpg

(click)

gary

There is an internet shop right in the port area, you don't even have to go downtown. You'll see it, it's pretty obvious, right in the middle of the little shopping area.

Good luck. If your concert is being sold by Ticketmaster, I have had reasonable luck with their phone app, download and get your credit card info on that before you leave. And with whatever ticket place you are using anyway- just have it pre-updated with your card of choice, will make the checkout easier.

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably just run a speed test at the little spot right in port and see how it's going - if I'm pulling decent speeds I'll just use that. I'm buying Dave Matthews tickets for four different shows with four different phones so it will be interesting to see how it goes...

I'll be honest with you - if it were a musician I really wanted to see, I wouldn't chance the satellite internet on any cruise ship with the opportunity to purchase tickets. Sure, the WiFi may be able to move files from computer to computer onboard the ship at a quick speed, but your request for internet content has to go to the transmitter on the ship, up into space, in some cases, either back to earth or to another satellite, then back to earth to some "central" office, across the internet to your destination, then back again in reverse. It takes a while, and satellite internet isn't really ideal for real time applications like getting in queue for the dream concert.

Also, with WiFi in ports, I'd be leary. Full disclosure, of course, I work in info tech, security and such, and withe prevalence of people using software on computers to "sniff" what other people are doing on wifi hotspots, and thus, intercept information.... I wouldn't use a random hotspot with my credit card info or login info. After all, even if you use a ticketmaster app on your phone, your login credentials are submitted* (see below) to log you in.

*Yes, the login is usually encrypted, but a determined individual could theoretically break it, and out of the country, it's just not something I'd want to risk...

My suggestion? Use a concierge service... it's possible you have a credit card that comes with one. For example, all Visa "Signature" cards have it, American Express Platinum (and Centurion [black]) include one, MasterCard World and World Elite, and Bank of America Ameriwards or w/e it is has it. It's usually free to utilize, save for the cost of the tickets themselves. You just email or call them and ask them to "do your bidding".

Or, if you're tech inclined, you could get VPN service for your phone, there are a few ones out there which are very easy to use on iPhone and Android, and use that as an added layer of encryption while you're connected to some foreign wifi hotspot. :)

Edited by tbonecopper

If you can't have someone back home order for you, I'd go with hard-wired Internet over any WiFi.

Cyberlink Internet Cafe is downtown Philipsburg, between the Boardwalk and Frontstreet, right across from Juggies.

Everyone knows where Juggies is located.

th_DSCN5288.jpg

(click)

gary

I've never used an internet cafe before- how do the charges work?