Snorkeling equip't - Boatyard Turtle Tours

baby_tran

Is the snorkeling equip't included in the $20 fee for these turtle tours I keep reading about? Is it just a snorkel and goggles? What about vest? Just wondering what I'd need to bring for the kids...

Thanks

We were just there yesterday. I did post about it on t.a. on boatyard site. Boatyard is $15 a person which gives you a free drink and ride back. It was worth it because it was pouring yesterday. I laughed when I saw your question and here's why: We walk it and it says on a sign, "see us about the turtles". Then this guy shows you a palm tree down the beach and tells you to swim out 200 yards to the turtles. The turtles are very shy and with all of the boats and people around, they are not going to just swim up to you unless no one is around and unless you have food. Now mind you you have to swim out, then paddle around THEN swim back. Take my advice. Do not try it. People have drowned and I can't believe the boatyard tells people to swim out. On the beach, there are various locals asking you to go with them. We went with a woman called Lisa Boom Boom. She charged us to go to the shipwrecks and see the turtles $15/hour. She started at $20 but I got her down. It actually ended up longer. I forgot to bring money to tip the guys and I felt terrible because they were so nice and helpful. If you just want to hang on a beach, drink, and eat, and go see turtles, the boatyard is really well run. All of the other places looked seedy. Also, it is quite a distance from cruise port. NOT 20 minutes. Get a taxi. We walked down for lunch to Cuz fish shack. $23 for the 5 of us which was 5 sodas and 5 sandwiches. Right next to the radisson. Bring your own snorkeling stuff though. Hope all of this helped. BTW - we saw a LOT of turtles with Lisa Boom Boom's guys. Wonderful experience even though it was pouring rain.

Edited by jean87510

Is the snorkeling equip't included in the $20 fee for these turtle tours I keep reading about? Is it just a snorkel and goggles? What about vest? Just wondering what I'd need to bring for the kids...

Thanks

I was there in October we paid $20 pp to go out on a boat to the turtle location and a ship wreck location. On the ride out I watched them with a big bin of cleaning solution that they soaked all the masks and snorkels in and then washed each piece individually.

We had our own mask and snorkels but opted out of convenience to use theirs. They had us all put on vests. The equipment was good shape. Some lady had a brand new set of her own and was having trouble with it. They ended up giving her theirs to use too.