Best Children's Activities (Most Imaginative Programs)?

sstraveler

Of all the cruise ships / cruise lines who has the best programming for children -- especially pre-teen and young teens?

More interested to hear about the organized activities -- what you have seen that is truly imaginative or unique for the kids as opposed to the kids doing general (adult) activities like the Flo Riders or rock walls, etc. which are more multi-generational non-kid specific.

Is Disney the end all of kids cruising or is that just the reputation?

Do any of the cruise lines excel or are they all about the same and are there any others that are second choice for kids. (For example I saw someone commenting in another like about ClubHAL having limited hours and closing at times her kids wanted to go.)

Thanks!

My young teen (13) did Disney Dream last summer and Royal Carribean Liberty of the Seas this summer. He liked both but preferred RCCL. They did "teens only" time on the ice rink, flow rider and rock wall as well as had free games in the arcade for the teens a couple of times. They even had a teen dinner in the windjammer on the last night. He much preferred that RCCL had activities around the ship for his group rather than keeping them in the teen room like on Disney. Both programs have lots of games/late-night-parties/hang out time. The only other "imaginative" programming that was schedulled for RCCL was the DJ Scratch Academy. My son was super excited about this. It was on the itinerary twice and the first time was when we had an ice show scheduled so he figured he would just go when it was on the schedule the second time. Unfortunately, what wasn't listed at all anywhere was that this was a two-part class and you had to attend the first session in order to attend the second. He was pretty disappointed in that (he wasn't alone - about half of the kids who showed up had been at the ice show during the first session and they were all turned away). I don't recall Disney having any special type programming like this at all. They also kept the kids in the teen room for most activities.

My kid isn't old enough yet, but I was really impressed by Celebrity's teen program. Just reading about it on their site. They give them GoPros for both on the ship and in port and then help them edit the footage on the last sea day.