Tips for driving from NY to Baltimore?

KellyW25

Hi,

We're sailing out of Baltimore for the first time in May, driving from Staten Island, NY. Any tips for us, such as how port traffic is, how safe is parking at the pier? I'm figuiring we'll get on the road by 7:00 AM. The Orioles are playing at home that day, 1:30 start, will this delay us? Should we plan to leave earlier?

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Not at that time in the am. should be an easy ride.

Thank you! I'm used to sailing out of Florida or Bayonne/Manhattan, so driving to Baltimore has me overthinking things. I've driven past Baltimore plenty of times on my way to Virgina, not sure why I'm worrying.

Port/Pier is just off I95 past the Fort McHenry tunnel. Make sure you take the right most tunnel tube. Should be an easy drive. Parking is easy and safe at the port. Having an easy pass for tolls makes life better too:)

You've driven this before from your post, but to state the obvious: allow more time than you need. Random sun spot activity, unexplained liquids falling from the sky, 18 wheelers that encounter unforeseen gravitational events that pull them onto their sides, and the occasional Earth wobble can all turn I-95 anywhere from the Delaware line to Richmond into a total parking lot. I think I spent almost 7 hours one day getting from Philly back to south of DC due to an overturned tractor trailer just south of the Delaware toll booth. Just saying...

You've driven this before from your post, but to state the obvious: allow more time than you need. Random sun spot activity, unexplained liquids falling from the sky, 18 wheelers that encounter unforeseen gravitational events that pull them onto their sides, and the occasional Earth wobble can all turn I-95 anywhere from the Delaware line to Richmond into a total parking lot. I think I spent almost 7 hours one day getting from Philly back to south of DC due to an overturned tractor trailer just south of the Delaware toll booth. Just saying...

Yes, you're absolutely right! My niece used to live in Potomac Mills, and we went down to pick her up. We once spent 8 hours just to get there, then had another 5 or 6 to get back. My sister was a mess by the time we got home. The dreaded "mixing bowl" was always the worst.

I figure to be on the road by 7:00 at the latest, with coffee in hand, so no delays for that. :)

Listen carefully to NJ Turnpike traffic. Relatives from NY have sometimes run into extensive delays coming south. Leaving Staten Island at 7am gives you a best case arrival time around 10am so you have a good buffer built in. That should be plenty early to avoid any Oriole traffic.