Dominican Republic Shops at Port?

KPfromCT

We have decided to cancel our day at Dreams, after reading the latest news on this mosquito disease. It appears to be running rampant in the DR.:eek:

We'll take the day and enjoy the ship to ourselves.:D

My question is, are there shops right in the port area, for t-shirts, souvenirs, etc?

I would love to be able to walk off for a little shopping, and then get right back on.

Anyone?

Thank you!!!!

We have decided to cancel our day at Dreams, after reading the latest news on this mosquito disease. It appears to be running rampant in the DR.:eek:

My question is, are there shops right in the port area, for t-shirts, souvenirs, etc?

I would love to be able to walk off for a little shopping, and then get right back on.

Anyone?

Thank you!!!!

It has been about 2 years since I was there but there was only a very small duty free shop at the port. Very limited selection but it may have changed a bit since then.

Anyone?

Thank you!!!!

You are posting this to tell people it is unsafe to get off the ship? Please!:cool:

Edited by Kcarp

Yes, just one little duty-free shop at the port. Not much selection.

We took the bus into town, and it cost very little .... maybe $4.00 each? Not too sure, but it covered the round trip. They drop you off at a square in town where there are lots of vendors selling jewelry, t-shirts, baskets, paintings, etc. The vendors are pretty aggressive, but it is fun to haggle with them about price. We felt safe the whole time as there are lots of police standing around. There are also many statues of baseball greats in the square from the DR, like Samy Sosa, so if anybody is a baseball fan, it would be worth it. Stay as long as you like, the bus runs continually back and forth from the ship.

On the way back to the ship, a bunch of crew got on the bus with us with some very heavenly Chinese food they had bought in town. they said it was better than what is served on the ship. I told them I had seen the Chinese restaurant on the square but didn't buy anything, but probably should have considering how good their food smelled.

Also, buy a Presidente beer while in the DR (great on a hot day after shopping)and or/ some locally made rum.

We were there about two years ago and not much to see in the port area. We went to artist colony which was ok barely.

If you are that concerned about mosquito problem suggest you stay on the ship as not much to get off for.

You are posting this to tell people it is unsafe to get off the ship? Please!:cool:

Absolutely not. Just merely my choice. Read the post below, from the RCCL board, and then the link.

Just stating it's something that our group doesn't want to risk.

Nothing would probably happen, but it's our decision.

We returned back on the Allure of the Seas on Sunday 06/08 and did the Western route to Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico. For the first time ever, a mosquito bite went from a dime size to an orange size on my leg. Along with a fever of 104, sore throat, cancer sore on my tongue, lymph node under my left arm, severe back pain, cold sweats, hives all over my body and the inability to move my arms or walk!

Luckily with the proper medical attention and anti-biotics I survived but it ruined the last couple days of my cruise. Please take heed to this warning in the news and use mosquito/bug spray while visiting the Caribbean.

http://news.yahoo.com/more-states-re...dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--

They weren't in the DR. The risk is everywhere. Last summer Dengue Fever showed up in St. Marten...from infected Mosquitos. It has since spread to other islands in the Caribbean. One just needs to be informed and take precaution with good bug spray. If you are really not wanting to risk it then maybe you shouldn't plan to visit anywhere in the Caribbean bc it's a potential threat in both the Eastern side and Western side.

Edited by tocruzagain