Question about Norovirus and disinfectant spray

flitter306

I've read on here about Norovirus and how hand sanitizer won't help because it's a virus and not a bacteria. I've also read here that the only way to prevent norovirus is to wash your hands regularly and thoroughly.

Over the weekend I was watching TV with my FI and a commerical for Lysol Disinfectant Spray came on. They touted that this spray kills 99.9% of VIRUSES. I've done a quick google search regarding norovirus and Lysol disinfectant spray and have found some articles that state this does kill norovirus.

Obviously you can't trust everything you find on the internet, but has anyone else heard this? I'm not a germaphobe and certainly don't plan on holstering a can of Lysol on my upcoming cruises to spray any surface I may touch - but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Next time you're at the grocery store, pick up the can of Lysol and read the details: it kills specific viruses, none of which is virus that causes Norovirus. The wipes are even less effective: their claim is that they "kill 99.9% of germs" but this turns out to be only salmonella and RSV germs when you read the fine print.

Unfortunately, it won't do the job against Norovirus.

I have been in the childcare field for years and our health inspector has told me and staff upon each visit, that lysol doesn't kill the virsus, we rarely use lysol except for air freshner at times. We use bleach water to spray our cots and wash our toys, door knobs, and shelves. Even the disinfect soap has lost its effeincy on germs, as most people have built up defenses. Our children and staff wash their hands with soap and water, BUT the key is to do it for 3 minutes straight with the soap, brushing around the nails and singing their alphabet twice. We also try not to use lysol in the classroom very often due to children with allergies -breathing problems. On NCL, they have the best set up, they at least have hand sanitizer before they let you pick up a tray at the buffet, and covered food, and sneeze guards. Carnival lacks there. Just avoid touching the railing around the hallways, and hand sanitzer is better then nothing. just my two cents worth.

So far the only wipes I've found that will kill Norovirus are these:

Alpet D2 Ready-to-Use Disinfectant Receives EPA Efficacy Claim Against Norovirus

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hotnews/5ah393342031.html

Alpet D2 is available in quart sprayers, 5 gallon pails, and refillable wipes

Several years ago, I was doing the technical purchasing for a group of medical laboratories and was bombarded with samples of hand and surface disinfectants. I did a very thorough study of what was available, and concluded that the product with the widest range of effectiveness was a sodium hypochlorite solution. This was also the least expensive, since it can be prepared from common household chlorine bleach. A 2% solution is most effective - simply diluting the bleach 1 part to 50 parts water. Unfortunately, the solution must be prepared at least daily and it is corrosive to stainless steel. After consulting with microbiologists, we made the transition to this solution, utilizing specially designed sprayers that did the dilution during the spray process.

I was just reading the claims of Alpet D-2 and have requested the studies that they base their claims on. I hesitate at this time to recommend it, since it is a quaternary ammonium compound, which in the past have not been effective against norovirus. The studies were on a virus in the same genus, but not specifically norovirus. It isn't really a retail item at this point - not something you can pick up at your drugstore. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the item cruise lines, among many similar businesses, use to do "Code Red" sanitation.

In the meantime, the CDC recommendations of washing hands remains the best method of reducing the spread of norovirus. The hand sanitizers that are widely available on ships (they are EVERYWHERE on HAL) are ethyl alcohol based, and while they do not kill norovirus, they do kill a wide variety of other pathogens, which can also cause "food poisoning". Lysol or other similar disinfectants can kill a wide variety of pathogens, just not norovirus.

I thought I read that someone uses a product called "Viro-block" (spelling?), available at CVS pharmacy. I believe it comes as a spray. Anyone know anything about this product?:confused:

Vira-block is an antiseptic hand spray. The active ingredients are ethanol and isopropanol - similar to Purell.

Found the manufacturer's website:

http://www.antisepticausa.com/

They say:

Designed by Microbiologists and used in clinical settings worldwide to effectively kill a broad spectrum of hand transmitted micro-organisms (bacteria, fungi, and Viruses). Unlike hand sanitizers Vira-Block is a patented anti virus drug. Approved by the FDA and Health Canada, Vira-Block is supported by numerous clinical tests and medical protocols to confirm its efficacy.

The site also describes the product as a Broad Spectrum antiseptic, effective against Ecoli, hepatitus, staph, influenza, rhino(cold), Norovirus

I have no experience with this...anyone know the product?

So far the only wipes I've found that will kill Norovirus are these:

Alpet D2 Ready-to-Use Disinfectant Receives EPA Efficacy Claim Against Norovirus

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hotnews/5ah393342031.html

Alpet D2 is available in quart sprayers, 5 gallon pails, and refillable wipes

The company contacted me about Alpet D2. It "is an effective surface disinfectant when used for a contact time of five minutes at full strength against the following:

1. ". It is really intended for commercial use. "Hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, cruise lines, schools, food service facilities and other industries now have access to a ready-to-use EPA registered product that is strong enough to kill norovirus ..."

The FDA won't allow claims of effectiveness for hand sanitizers against Norovirus. There is an Alpet E3+ hand sanitizer that is effective against many microorganisms, but they can't claim effectiveness against Norovirus. Again, it's not something you'd find in your drugstore.

Found the manufacturer's website:

http://www.antisepticausa.com/

They say:

Designed by Microbiologists and used in clinical settings worldwide to effectively kill a broad spectrum of hand transmitted micro-organisms (bacteria, fungi, and Viruses). Unlike hand sanitizers Vira-Block is a patented anti virus drug. Approved by the FDA and Health Canada, Vira-Block is supported by numerous clinical tests and medical protocols to confirm its efficacy.

The site also describes the product as a Broad Spectrum antiseptic, effective against Ecoli, hepatitus, staph, influenza, rhino(cold), Norovirus

I have no experience with this...anyone know the product?

They *say* that it is effective against Norovirus, but that is not a permissable claim under FDA rules. The study on "Norovirus" was conducted in Germany against a surrogate virus, and showed it to be more effective than hard water. Reading the presentation by Dr. Wheeler, Vira-Block was almost as effective as washing with soap and water. I didn't see containers of Vira-Block on the cruises I've taken. Take your choice.

I've read on the web that Lysol at 4x concentration is effective against Norovirus on flat surfaces. My wife and I take a 3 oz bottle of Lysol concentrate and an empty 8 oz recycled spray bottle. Then we mix our own on the ship. We use the concentrate as required to bring the 8 oz spray bottle to 4x concentration. It doesn't take much concentrate; about 2 1/2 tbs per gallon for regular use so 4x in an 8 oz bottle requires very little. We also use a little bit from the 8 oz bottle with our detergent for hand washing clothes. That deals with any odor problem. Works for us. We've had other passengers share colds with us but never Norovirus. We also frequently wash hands and use the hand sanitizers on the ship.

I've read on the web that Lysol at 4x concentration is effective against Norovirus on flat surfaces. My wife and I take a 3 oz bottle of Lysol concentrate and an empty 8 oz recycled spray bottle. Then we mix our own on the ship. We use the concentrate as required to bring the 8 oz spray bottle to 4x concentration. It doesn't take much concentrate; about 2 1/2 tbs per gallon for regular use so 4x in an 8 oz bottle requires very little. We also use a little bit from the 8 oz bottle with our detergent for hand washing clothes. That deals with any odor problem. Works for us. We've had other passengers share colds with us but never Norovirus. We also frequently wash hands and use the hand sanitizers on the ship.

Even Lysol doesn't claim to be effective agains Norovirus. If you feel better by using a product, Vira-Block would probably be more effective. Frequent, proper hand washing is the best prevention. Since 10 million passengers cruise from U.S. ports each year and *do not* get Norovirus, luck and sanitation by the cruise lines play an important part.

Info on CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

A couple of interesting excerpts:

How do people become infected with noroviruses?

Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people. People can become infected with the virus in several ways, including:

eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus;

touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth;

having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill).

Persons working in day-care centers or nursing homes should pay special attention to children or residents who have norovirus illness. This virus is very contagious and can spread rapidly throughout such environments.

Can norovirus infections be prevented?

You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by following these preventive steps:

Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.

Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.

Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.

Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).

Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean.

Persons who are infected with norovirus should not prepare food while they have symptoms and for 3 days after they recover from their illness (see food handler information sheet). Food that may have been contaminated by an ill person should be disposed of properly.

Sounds like practicing good hygiene will help you avoid this. Of course, if someone in the kitchen happens to come down with it and keeps working.....

On one of the discussions of norovirus on this board, someone said that the only way you can get the virus from the air is from breathing in teensy particles of vomit. That poster suggested staying out of public restrooms if there is known to be an outbreak on your cruise, and anytime you walk into a public bathroom on a ship and smell vomit, just turn around and walk back out. That sounds like a pretty easy precaution to add to the handwashing routine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived