Antigua

Cruises are the best

When we visited Antigua we were told the island had 365 beaches, one for each day of a non-leap year. I guess this year it will rain 1 day. :)

When you say best beach what are you looking for beyond sun and sand?

I can't recommend Valley Church Beach highly enough. I used to think Magen's Bay was my favorite beach of all time, but 2 weeks ago we went the VCB and it is now my #1 beach!!! Absolutely unbelievable turquoise waters, white beaches with an amazing amount of awesome sea shells to collect. It's like a giant pool. One thing to note is the water, while breathtaking, is milky, so the snorkeling there is not good at all. Enjoy!!!

Hi, I know you asked for a beach ... but we booked a non cruise excursion with paddles and we had the best time. It was one of the best tours we have ever done. We snorkeled, kayaked and hiked for like $60 a person and since we booked separately we were with the owner and in a much smaller group.

We are going there with CCL Breeze and wondering what's the best beach there ?

Thanks !

We loved Half Moon Bay. There were maybe six people there. There are no services of any kind there. So bring anything you may need. Very natural beach and really pretty. Here is a photo.

2532419250074365136S600x600Q85.jpg

Also Jolly Beach was great. This is opposite of Half Moon Bay. They have everything and anything that you need. Here is a photo.

2603441090074365136S600x600Q85.jpg

I wanted to vote for jolly - because I've read over and over that Valley Church is always a madhouse when ships come to town

So I will put that one on my bucket list for a land vacation!

Jolly beach has thousands of shells in piles all over the sand dunes where the tides have washed them up - the water as you can see is an unreal blue --- however could have done without the jetski noise.

There is an all inclusive there you can pay to hang out all day

but we were on the public section - very awesome bay

We took a cab to a place called "Sandhaven". It had a bar and small restaurant and you could rent chairs and an umbrella. As others have said it was very beautiful. We got there early and were the only ones there for a long time. This beach was perfect if you want a quiet spot where you can just walk/read/enjoy the view and a few drinks. I think it is my husbands very favorite place now. You can find information about all these beaches on the Antiqua port of call board. We were also on RCCL Serenade. You could check some of the reviews and see where other people have gone. Antiqua is very beautiful.

• 2 years later...
Hi, I know you asked for a beach ... but we booked a non cruise excursion with paddles and we had the best time. It was one of the best tours we have ever done. We snorkeled, kayaked and hiked for like $60 a person and since we booked separately we were with the owner and in a much smaller group.

We were thinking of booking the Carnival excursion that is similar to the one you mentioned. Just curious if you got to go to the beach at all? I have 3 kids and my 7 y.o. may not want to snorkel.

Also in case we just decide to go to a beach can anyone recommend a family friendly one, our kids will be 15, 12 and 7 when we go to Antigua for the 1st time this Nov.

Dark Wood beach hands down. 30 minutes from port. Lightly crowded with a very good little bar and restaurant. Nice views of Montserrat in the distance. Moderately rough surf but makes for a great swim.