safe to walk from pier to Fort Young hotel?

elaine5

is it safe to walk from pier to Fort Young hotel with teens? DH will be diving that day? Also, any safe, fun excursion for Mom and 15 yr olds that is fairly cheap? Don't want to pay more than $100 total for 3 persons.

If you are docked in Roseau -- yes, very safe. Your business may be solicited along the way, but it's easy to say no thank you. If you are docked at Woodbridge, it's probably too far to walk.

For a cheap excursion, you can ask the taxi drivers who will approach you what you can see for $100 US. I'm sure they can set you up. Dominica is such a beautiful island, you should see as much as you can. Certainly the botanical garden, old fort, and lookout area at Morne Bruce are within your price range.

You can also walk around the market area for free. The vendors will certainly ask for your business, but no one will harm you.

I totally agree with post above. We were docked at Roseau. I took my Mom who was 84 and she could not walk to far. The people were so friendly and offered their wares but were not pushy. We also took the skylift which was so exciting for both of us but it was very expensive at $99 person not for 3 total.

Edited by SHayesShip

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I always hang out at the Fort Young Hotel while in Dominica. It is almost in front of where the ship docks. When sitting on the patio at the hotel, the bow of the ship is right out in front. You definitely should be able to get a tour for 3 for $100., just keep bargaining and say "they are children" so you don't have to pay full price for your children. Dominica is very safe. If locals approach you on the street (other than the street vendors) it will be to tell you all about their island, not to beg for money or do anything ontoward. There isn't very much to see in the Botanical Gardens - mostly trees and more like a park and not a lot of time is needed there. Try to join others to share a van/tour and that will be much cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

What about Screws Sulphur Spa? That would encompass a taxi ride and 3 admissions but I think kids would think its cool with all the different pools of water of varying temperatures.

I love walking around Roseau. I went everywhere by myself and never felt nervous.