Photo editing on an iPad

Marvy Mare

We will be heading out for our first cruise March 5th. I am a relative newbie to DSLR photography. Previously on vacation I had access to WIFI, so I didn't think much about it. I will pack a few SD cards & do most of my editing in Lightroom (having fun learning that too) when I get home. We will not be getting wifi on the ship due to the expense. I have an SD reader for my iPad so I can have a look at the photos but is it possible to edit them in iPhoto without using the internet? I have downloaded a trial version of Lightroom mobile too. Don't know if I like it but again do I need wifi to use it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Maris

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are several devices out there that you insert SD or mini SD card into the device and the other end into the iPad.

Does your DSLR use SD or CF cards?

I have one of these seperate SD to ipad devices and do not like it. Slow, difficult to navigate the process. I am not familar if there are devices to connent CF cards to ipads.

I am happy I purchased a Nikon AW130 camera a few years back. Underwater capable. Pretty good photos. A lot more compact than my Olympus DSLR. Just not,

Lenses and flash attachment options on the Nikon vs Olympus.

Best feature is the Nikon AW130 wireless capability. You download the camera's WiFi app (NIKON WMU is the name they gave it). Open the app, turn on the camera's wifi and when they connect you transfer photos to your ipad. Then you can keep your photos on the SD card and Ipad or delete photos on the SD card if you need a clean SD card.

If your DSLR is wireless than get the app and connect to ipad for same process outlined above.

SD cards do not last forever so backing up to the ipad and once on land doing an ipad back up to the cloud or other photo sharing web site is handy.

Good luck!

Edited by FireStation46

Thanks for your response Fire Station 46. I am able to easily transfer my photos from my DSLR camera to my iPad using the card reader. It's the editing that I was wondering about. I will have at least 4 SD cards with me & can wait until I get home to edit, but just wondering if it

is possible without using the internet while we are on the cruise. I have a Nikon 3300 - an entry level DSLR camera (doesn't have wifi) and a few lenses. At this point I'm not in the market for another camera. Still learning photography.

Thanks for your response Fire Station 46. I am able to easily transfer my photos from my DSLR camera to my iPad using the card reader. It's the editing that I was wondering about. I will have at least 4 SD cards with me & can wait until I get home to edit, but just wondering if it

is possible without using the internet while we are on the cruise. I have a Nikon 3300 - an entry level DSLR camera (doesn't have wifi) and a few lenses. At this point I'm not in the market for another camera. Still learning photography.

Typically you can use mobile apps from Adobe without a WiFi connection. Obviously, saving settings and the editing DB changes to the cloud would be disabled but you can sync any edits with your desktop when you get back.

If you are interested in my opinion, I have been shooting digital on cruises since 2002 and long ago decided to just have fun taking the photos, review a few, back them up and save all the heavy lifting until I get home. Cruises are too short to spend time editing! :)

Dave