Visa requirements for cruise leaving from Shanghai

Just booked a cruise for my wife and daughter (sadly I have to stay at home, son will be at school camp and returns home in the middle of the cruise). Trying to figure out if a visa is required.

9 night Mariner of the Seas leaving 1 September. Departs from Shanghai, China; arrives Singapore. Ports are Okinawa, Japan; Hong Kong; and Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.

From my understanding, they should be eligible for the 144 hour visa-free transit. Plan is to fly from Melbourne to Shanghai (with a layover in a country other than China, since I "think" it'd be a problem otherwise), spend a couple days there, take the cruise to Singapore (which has no stops in China), then fly back to Melbourne.

Anyone done this? Anything I should be looking out for?

When they go to check in at the airport, will the gate agent be able to figure it out, or is it a hard requirement that there is an outgoing flight (they're leaving China on the cruise, so there'll be no outgoing flight)?

When determining the next country you're going to, does China look at the first port stop, or the debarkation port? If the latter, I need to make sure there's not a layover in Singapore on the way up.

Quick search shows they shouldn't need a visa for Japan, Hong Kong, or Singapore. Vietnam may not need one for cruise passengers, will double check.

Thanks!

The cruise line should sort out the visa for Vietnam, if required. You may not require a visa but there may be a "processing fee" instead. We had to pay something whne we had stops in Vietnam last year.

You're very fortunate with that itinerary, as it will enable you to enter Shanghai on the 144 hour visa. No need for a stop before shanghai if you don't want to either. i.e. Country 1 - Australia, country 2 - China, country 3 - Japan.

After the policy was introduced last year, they expanded the list of stations involved to include the cruise terminal as well, so no issue arriving by plane and leaving by port.

Regarding the issue at check-in, airport staff have access to the info, but it wouldn't hurt to bring the printout with you. You'll also need the cruise ship itinerary to confirm departure is within 144 hours, and the next destination is a 3rd country outside China. You'll need to do the same when you approach immigration at Shanghai airport. Also confirming that China looks at the next port on the ship i.e. Okinawa, not the ultimate destination.

And definitely no need for a double entry visa for Hong Kong, even if you chose to get one for whatever reason for China. Hong Kong is treated separately for immigration purposes. Similarly if you were to just go to Hong Kong for a visit itself you wouldn't need a visa, even though mainland China needs one.

{All the above is assuming you're travelling on an AU passport, btw).

{All the above is assuming you're travelling on an AU passport, btw).

Thanks. I know that for visa purposes, Hong Kong does not count as part of China. We've actually done the visa-free transit before (back in 2012, think it was for up to 24 hours, spent the day in Beijing during a really long layover). Also went to Hong Kong (separate trip) for several days and didn't need a visa.

As long as they look at the next port and not the disembarkation port (figured they would, but you never know), I'm not worried about going through immigration at Shanghai. I'm more concerned about them being denied boarding on the flight TO Shanghai due to not having a visa (because the check in system may not be able to handle a situation where you fly in but don't fly out). Has anyone done something similar, fly in and cruise out without getting a visa?

Thanks again!