Plantation tours? Anyone have any experience?

whataboutport

I am looking at driving out to either Oak Alley or Nottoway Plantations for a day trip. Nottoway seems to interest me the most and looks most opulent. I have also read about Laura but is "small" it seems? Any other places I should be thinking about visiting? I am prob only going to do one plantation. TIA

• 1 month later...

I just visited both Laura Plantation & Oak Alley Plantation. Both were $20 for adult tickets (both had $2 discount with AAA cards). Laura is a Creole style plantation. It is were the story of brer rabbit said to originate. Oak Alley is grand with it 28 300 year old oak trees. It offers $6.00 Mint Julep made with 2 parts Bourdon and 1 part Mint Simple Syrup that you could take with you on your tour. Both Plantation were very different and very interesting and only a few miles apart. I am sure you was enjoy either. My 25 old year son and I great enjoyed both.

Edited by Chmielel

Houmas House (sp?) is another great plantation home to visit. Tremendous garden and lots to explore. Had a cousin get married there this past year. I've also visited Oak Alley.. Can't go wrong with either, imo, but prefer Houmas

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you have a car, you can easily see 2-3 different plantations of different styles. Oak Alley and Laura are excellent and I would see both. You can have lunch at Oak Alley. You may want to see others in the area as they are all fairly close together. This will be a very good day trip. Its a word apart from New Orleans.

• 1 month later...

We also did Laura and Oak Alley and another one, that didn't impress me too much obviously, because I can't remember which one it was. We enjoyed both Laura and Oak Alley and had a delicious lunch at Oak Alley and walked all over the grounds and down the long row of trees to the river and back.... hubby had someone on the lawn take pictures of us up on the upper balcony and they are some of my favorite pictures of us. We are going back to NOLA next fall for a 3 day pre-cruise stay and I already have my plans to go back to both plantations again!!!