New England weather late Aug-early Sept?

Ken1359

I'm uncertain what to pack for my B2B New England cruise on the Caribbean Princess the last week of Aug and the first week in Sept. Since this time frame is more or less the cusp between summer and fall, I'm wondering what kind of weather to expect.

I've been told to expect the possibility of a few hot days, rain, cool nights, rain, warm sun, rain, gloom. I guess I'll have to take the shotgun approach and pack a little of everything and hope that a sweater and light jacket layers will suffice if cooler weather occurs. Surely I wouldn't run into truly cold weather this early in the year? Being forewarned by others' experiences really helps.

I remember being in San Francisco in June when many tourists were shivering in shorts when the daily fog rolled in late afternoon bringing truly chilly weather almost every evening. I also remember being in the mid-Atlantic in early Dec. 2 years ago sailing on glass like seas when it was very warm (almost hot) one day.

I'd like any helpful input from those who've done the 7 day r.t. out of NYC in my time frame. Also any tips from New Englanders will be appreciated. BTW, I hear that I must have a Lobster roll during this trip. Are they as mouth watering as touted? Is a trip through the Acadia Park as beautiful as many say? I'm not terribly mobile these days, so kindly don't suggest I climb hills or go pulling on fish nets.....however I'm very good at sipping a beverage while others provide photo ops.

The weather can be such an unknown ... Today it is in the low 70's. I'd dress in layers - jeans, shorts, long sleeved, short sleeves, tank top, etc. If it gets too cold, there are all sorts of sweatshirts to be bought!

Acadia is beautiful and really shouldn't be missed ... and yes the lobster is wonderful! Jan

Ken:

We're on the August 27th cruise, which I assume is one of your B2B.

We do have a roll call if you'd like to join.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1307857

I'm planning on bringing layers, similar to what I'd bring for an Alaska cruise. Waterproof jacket, polyester t-shirts, probably a light fleece.

We have sailed those two weeks, Boston to Montreal to Boston, b-to-b, several times and have weather ranging from 85 degrees and bright sun to raw, chilly and drizzle. Sometimes the ship's fog horns sounds all night and other cruises, we never hear it.

Bring at least one hoodie/sweater/sweatshirt jeans or dockers and a water proof jacket. Also bring lightweight pants /shorts if you wear them. A few tee shirts and a few long sleeve jerseys.

Acadia is beautiful and we enjoyed a four or so hour tour which brought us through Acadia, to Cadillac Mountain for gorgeous views down to the harbor (if a clear day) and then lobster lunch. It was very pleasant and we are not big 'bus tour' people.

If you stop in Bar Harbor, have your lobster roll there or in Halifax. In Charlottetown, if you go there, eat mussels. The best there are!!!!

Hope you enjoy this cruise as much as we do.

Archived