Barrachina's

justme_85

Hi everyone,

I will be going on the Carnival Liberty In May but am flying in the day before and staying at the Sheraton Old San Juan. My group and I are thinking of going to Barrachina's for Dinner and to try the Piña Colada. I just wanted to know from people who have done this or are locals of OSJ on whether the walk is safe at night or if we would be better to take a cab? Does the free trolly run in the evening? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't really help you but to say we sought out this place on our stop at SJ. Police presence was everywhere. Not sure what evening would be like, but during the day there was absolutely no feeling of being unsafe. We walked up to el morro and around the town. We had nachos and a piña colada there, very good. We will be in SJ again in April and don't leave port until 10:00 pm. You might want to check and see what cruise ships are there that day and how late they are there.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you're still looking for an answer. I have stayed in OSJ at the Sheraton and walked around OSJ at night to get to dinner. There were plenty of other people doing the same thing. Did not feel unsafe.

BTW, two single girls ... never got bothered.

Barrachina's is great. Been there many times ... but for some reason have not tried their famous pina colada. Always get the mojito.

Good to remember though - Their mojitos were strong. If you're walking, you're walking cobblestone streets. Being "tipsy" and trying to walk uneven streets don't mix well. Also, it's uphill from the Sheraton. Don't wear shoes that haven't been broken in yet or your blistering heels will painfully remind you of the fact in the morning. :)

We stayed pre-cruise at Hotel Plaza De Armas in Old San Juan, a few blocks from Barrachina's. We walked to dinner one night, saw the flamenco dancers, and got a free shot of pina colada's.

Would book hotel and area again!

The trolley runs until 6 pm weekdays, 7 pm weeknights.

Walking around Old San Juan during the evening should be perfectly safe for your group, but as you would anywhere, pay attention to your surroundings. If you see a street that looks deserted or dimly lit, pass it up for the next block that is more active. (This is general advice, not specifically for San Juan ;) )

You could also consider Barrachina's for lunch, and do some shopping around the area too, there are lots of cute shops right by there.

OSJ is very touristy, and really you are only going six or 7 blocks. It is well-lit at night, and lots of people walking about going to restaurants. Sunset in May will be around 6:45, so it will be light until then anyway.

You might plan to walk from your hotel over to the Paseo de la Princesa for the sunset, and have a 7:30 dinner reservation and walk to Barrachina from there.

Barrachinas is very nice! We had a large group attend the show & dinner in October. After the show a handful of us (ladies) walked to the Sheraton from the restaurant. It was very safe. Lots of police presence. When you exit Barrachinas make a right and keep walking down. You'll come to a street (similar to a public square), walk down the steps and the Sheraton will be on the next corner... Just keep walking straight.

Side note: The pina coladas are awesome ;)

Thank you everyone for replying! All of you provided exactly what I wanted to know! We will definitely make reservations that night!! Does anyone know what time the show is on a Saturday night?

Edited by justme_85

Thank you everyone for replying! All of you provided exactly what I wanted to know! We will definitely make reservations that night!! Does anyone know what time the show is on a Saturday night?

When we went in 2012, we had a Saturday evening show and dinner, made dinner reservations for 7:30pm, telling them you want to stay for the show. The flamenco show is between 8:00pm and 9:00pm Friday and Saturday nights.

It's best to call the restaurant a few weeks before and make a reservation. http://www.barrachina.com/indexb.php

Edited by ibcnusoon

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in OSJ in August and would like to go to Barrachina's for their famous Pina coladas! Does anyone have directions on how to get there from the port? Can we walk? Our ship doesn't arrive until 4 pm.