Subway question for New Yorkers

Cornus

We'll be arriving at Penn Station on Sept. 4 to make our way to Red Hook for the QM2 TA. We're big *public transit* fans and thought, rather than taking a taxi from Penn to Red Hook, that we would get the #2 or #3 at Penn and get off at Borough Hall and then hail a taxi to take us to Red Hook from there. Might this be doable? Or should we get the taxi directly from Penn to RH? I'm not at all familiar with Brooklyn, other than the infamous Belt Pky! We travel lightly so schlepping lots of suitcases is not a problem...we'll have only one each.

All our other cruises started and returned to RH so we drove and parked there, which was a lot more convenient.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Others may have a different view, but only in Manhattan can you be certain of 'hailing a cab' in the street. You might find yourself alighting at Boro Hall and waving your arms around in vain....and there where would you be? You might find a gypsy cab will stop and he will charge you a pretty penny because you will be stuck!

Having lived in brooklyn all my life and ride the subway at least twice per week, I THINK that the F train would get you closer to Red Hook. Lots of up and down VERY steep flights of stairs though.

The trek from Penn Station to the subway necessitates several ascents and descents of steep incline. Also, the F train (IND line) and the 2, 3 (IRT line) involve much climbing. I am an avid walker so I took the walk from Penn station to the subway (which you inquire about) and found it just fine. Then I thought about lugging a suitcase up the stairs as opposed to a briefcase and I rethought.

Anyway, try the link below for a close look at the stations and best of luck. Once you get there you will just LOVE it!!!

Best,

Eileen

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/index.html

I commute through Penn Station every day, and I would never dream of traveling with baggage. If the stairs don't get you, the turnstiles will !!! Red Hook is not near any subways, either.

I have heard 'Arecibo Car Service' very well recommended on this board. I am writing them for a quote for us. Frankly I want a car service based in Brooklyn, so they know precisely where we are going.

We used the subway recently for the first time. Why oh why don't they do maps as on the London underground. The trains are good - and airconditioned unlike ours and the system seemed to run very efficiently. Problem was negotiation for non natives.

Off subject again, sorry.

David.

I think there is some sort of law about cabs in Brooklyn, they cannot cruise the street? Several years ago we were at a wedding in Brooklyn and our son had to get a car service from one Brooklyn point to anthoer as a cab could not do a Brooklyn to Brooklyn run. You do not see empty cabs on the street in Brooklyn, at least I do not.

Take a car service or cab from Penn Station.

B.

I think there is some sort of law about cabs in Brooklyn' date=' they cannot cruise the street? Several years ago we were at a wedding in Brooklyn and our son had to get a car service from one Brooklyn point to anthoer as a cab could not do a Brooklyn to Brooklyn run. You do not see empty cabs on the street in Brooklyn, at least I do not.

Take a car service or cab from Penn Station.

B.[/quote']

LOL this is pretty funny. Its true that a number of years ago it was hard to find a cab in downtown Brooklyn but its much easier now. Downtown Brooklyn and Smith Street area has hundreds of cabs each hour. I'll take pictures to prove it. In fact what the OP suggests is doable....not recommended but doable. The reason its not recommended is because luggage and the subway just doesn't mix. However if you have a back pack and a single roll on it is doable.

If you have trouble catching a cab in front of Boro Hall walk west one Block to Clinton Street--- this is the streets the cabs use back to Manhattan with the hope of picking up a fare.

and Finally when the QM2 first docked a shuttle was provided for the crew to and from Boro Hall, if it is still being used I am sure they wouldn't mind taking a passenger(just tell them Marty Markowitz said it was ok---that isn't me but they know who it is).

I wouldn't write Arecibo for a quote the chances are they won't reply....just call them at 718 7836465 and they will tell you how much. They aren't big on reservations but come every quickly....most of the time.

You can also call them to come meet you at Boro Hall and I am sure they will be there in 10 minutes or less.

We used the subway recently for the first time. Why oh why don't they do maps as on the London underground. The trains are good - and airconditioned unlike ours and the system seemed to run very efficiently. Problem was negotiation for non natives.

Off subject again, sorry.

David.

The NY map is hard to read. Its probably because they carry 3 times as many people as London's, never close and are only one fare for the entire distance(with free transfers to any MTA bus too). If you don't know where you are going...ask either at a token booth(where you buy fare cards) or ask any native...they will be happy to help. There are of course maps all over one by each entrance to the subway and two in every subway car. You can get one for free at the aforementioned token booth and you can plan you trip at http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Here's another (unofficial) representation of the NYC Subway which you may find clearer, although I'm used to the original one.

http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/route.html

I would say the subway map is hard to read because the routes themselves aren't particularly well organized. The original subway lines were competitive private enterprises !!

However it remains the fastest way to travel, even though

1) everything is by magnetic-stripe metro card, there are no more tokens. and

2) the machines won't sell a 'one-fare' metro card, you have to go to a booth.

Come see for yourself !

BTW the closest subway stop to the cruise terminal is Smith and 9th street. These is a bus(the B71?) that gets with in a couple of blocks of the Cruise terminal gate(at sullivan Street)and then its a pretty good hike to the terminal(about a quarter of a mile). I serriously do not recommend this because the smith and 9th street stop is physically the highest off the ground. You will have an easier time catching a cab at either the Bergen or Carroll street stops on the F train and they are very close to the street(one stair case)...I live by the Bergen Street stop....it won't take you more than 5 minutes to catch a cab there...

there is a cab garage at Bergen street and third avenue...you don't think that all cabs live in Manhattan do you?

There is no law against in cabs in Brooklyn. They can just be a bit more difficult to find on the streets. From Borough Hall just walk one block to Clinton and Joralemon Streets--all the yellow cabs come up Clinton. You shouldn't have to wait long.

Personally, I think it would be harder to catch a cab if you took the F train to the Bergen/Carroll/or Smith and 9th street stops, although these are closer to the terminal. I too live in the area and I find they are harder to get over there.

Ginger

Longtime Brooklynite

I concur with Betsy's Mom. From Borough Hall just walk one block to Clinton and Joralemon Streets--all the yellow cabs come up Clinton. You shouldn't have to wait long. Personally, I think it would be harder to catch a cab if you took the F train to the Bergen/Carroll/or Smith and 9th street stops, although these are closer to the terminal. I too live in the area and I find they are harder to get over there.

Ginger

Longtime Brooklynite

Betsy's Mom? what did I have a sex change I didn't know about? she said no cabs in Brooklyn :)

I think your best bet is as someone suggested, take a limo or yellow cab

probably cost about $40 or $50

You can get a subway map from a token clerk

But do you really want to be wandering around Red Hook with luggage and looking like Tourists??

Listen i live in the city... you dont want to look like a tourist LOL

It may be more economical but a little long of a commute to take the LIRR to Jamaica and take the train to Flatbush and then get a cab

ask any native...they will be happy to help.

I was talking to someone who lives somewhere in the northern part of the US. I said how friendly I'd found New Yorkers 20 years ago. He couldn't believe me and said that they were so rude it was better not to speak to them at all! At last I've found someone else who says that New Yorkers can be friendly:)

I was talking to someone who lives somewhere in the northern part of the US. I said how friendly I'd found New Yorkers 20 years ago. He couldn't believe me and said that they were so rude it was better not to speak to them at all! At last I've found someone else who says that New Yorkers can be friendly:)

i think we have a bad rep

I find most ny'rs extremely helpful and nice.. especially since i live here

My TA who is from Phoenix just was in NY and said she couldn't believe how helpful and friendly New Yorkers were. We are sometimes hurried and harried but we will all try to help tourists....with the RIGHT directions.

What you are proposing is doable, but not recommended as has been stated.

You can indeed hail a cab on the street in Brooklyn near Borough Hall, but perhaps not as quickly as you would in Manhattan. You could get lucky and pick one up right away and then again maybe not. I wouldn't chance it unless you were going really early. Plus, with your baggage, frankly, I recommend just hiring a car service. I understand your desire to use public transportation, I am a big advocate myself, and if Cunard would only return to the Westside Piers where the QM2/QE2/QV belongs, this would not be a problem. However, as Cunard (or Carnival Corp or Princess) insists on docking in that god awful dump known as Red Hook, I really do suggest you hire a car service. A nice luxury car service so you can arrive in style and comfort.

Side note: I don't care how "nice" the new terminal is, I'd rather sit on a folding chair in the old Westside Pier terminal than have to travel to Red Hook. So not the picturesque or even exciting or even exhilirating or even convenient way to begin or end a Transatlantic on a Cunard Queen. It's the disappointing way. The Westside Piers terminals many not have been the height of comfort but your journey up and down the Hudson more than made up for it and at least you knew you were doing it the way thousands of other former Cunard Queen passengers had done it before you. May Carnival/Princess one day see the error of their ways.

Full Disclosure: I live in NYC

What you are proposing is doable, but not recommended as has been stated.

You can indeed hail a cab on the street in Brooklyn near Borough Hall, but perhaps not as quickly as you would in Manhattan. You could get lucky and pick one up right away and then again maybe not. I wouldn't chance it unless you were going really early. Plus, with your baggage, frankly, I recommend just hiring a car service. I understand your desire to use public transportation, I am a big advocate myself, and if Cunard would only return to the Westside Piers where the QM2/QE2/QV belongs, this would not be a problem. However, as Cunard (or Carnival Corp or Princess) insists on docking in that god awful dump known as Red Hook, I really do suggest you hire a car service. A nice luxury car service so you can arrive in style and comfort.

Side note: I don't care how "nice" the new terminal is, I'd rather sit on a folding chair in the old Westside Pier terminal than have to travel to Red Hook. So not the picturesque or even exciting or even exhilirating or even convenient way to begin or end a Transatlantic on a Cunard Queen. It's the disappointing way. The Westside Piers terminals many not have been the height of comfort but your journey up and down the Hudson more than made up for it and at least you knew you were doing it the way thousands of other former Cunard Queen passengers had done it before you. May Carnival/Princess one day see the error of their ways.

Full Disclosure: I live in NYC

.... The west side terminal is over crowded and obsolete. Its being renovated but when done it will have only 3 berths(down from 5) so more ships will be coming to Brooklyn. NYC has purchased the pier immediately south of the current terminal. They already own the container pier to the North. The plan is to add two more terminals to Brooklyn over the next 10-20 years. The terminal in Brooklyn is actually nicer than the Manhattan ones (Have you been through it) and the area is changing rapidly with the old businesses changing. Wait until Ikea opens next year( on the Street next to Fairway). Its 20 minutes from the Manhattan piers and frankly as convenient as most cruise terminals from most cities.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=563294 The Red Hook pier and environs.

.... The west side terminal is over crowded and obsolete. Its being renovated but when done it will have only 3 berths(down from 5) so more ships will be coming to Brooklyn. NYC has purchased the pier immediately south of the current terminal. They already own the container pier to the North. The plan is to add two more terminals to Brooklyn over the next 10-20 years. The terminal in Brooklyn is actually nicer than the Manhattan ones (Have you been through it) and the area is changing rapidly with the old businesses changing. Wait until Ikea opens next year( on the Street next to Fairway). Its 20 minutes from the Manhattan piers and frankly as convenient as most cruise terminals from most cities.

We will agree to disagree. As I said I don't care how "nice" the new terminal is, Red Hook is a dump and IKEA isn't going to drastically change the landscape. Sure, I look forward to the new IKEA so I can shop there and take a water taxi from lower Manhattan across the East River (as is planned) to get there (and pay higher New York City sales taxes :rolleyes: ) rather than having to take the shuttle bus from the Port Authority to the Elizabeth, New Jersey location. However, no matter how "obsolete" the Westside Piers are, they only need to be rebuilt. No matter how "nice" the new terminal in Red Hook is, the tradition of sailing up or down the Hudson (depedning which way you are going) and the convenience and thrill of disembarking ship right into Midtown Manhattan will be lost (or you must sail HAL). It's sad. Feel free to love Red Hook all you want. I never will.

We will agree to disagree. As I said I don't care how "nice" the new terminal is, Red Hook is a dump and IKEA isn't going to drastically change the landscape. Sure, I look forward to the new IKEA so I can shop there and take a water taxi from lower Manhattan across the East River (as is planned) to get there (and pay higher New York City sales taxes :rolleyes: ) rather than having to take the shuttle bus from the Port Authority to the Elizabeth, New Jersey location. However, no matter how "obsolete" the Westside Piers are, they only need to be rebuilt. No matter how "nice" the new terminal in Red Hook is, the tradition of sailing up or down the Hudson (depedning which way you are going) and the convenience and thrill of disembarking ship right into Midtown Manhattan will be lost (or you must sail HAL). It's sad. Feel free to love Red Hook all you want. I never will.

Typical Manhattan attitude about the other boros.

Archived