NOLA Julia Street Terminal and WHALE LOT

lemonade-sails

I have used the search function but still have questions about parking in the whale lot for our Serenade cruise in January. :o

When we sailed two years ago we parked at Fulton and it was fantastic. This year, however, we're bringing the kids and grandparents so we are driving a 15 passenger van. I don't think this will fit in Fulton. I emailed Machu Picchu but was quoted a higher rate than the whale lot. So to save $ and avoid loading 12 people on a shuttle we decided to park at the port.

So, my questions . . .

How do you get from dropping people/luggage at the terminal into the lot itself? I can't seem to picture this. Pull over to the right to unload and then cut across traffic to the left for the lot???

How/when/where do you pay for the week? Credit card?

Does the lot fill up and I might be wise to have an alternate plan? I have heard the lot is only for cruise passengers, but it is listed as a parking site for visitors to Audubon Aquarium and Hilton. I'm worried we will get there and it will be full.

And finally, what is the best time to arrive at the port? We want to get on as early as we can.

I know that Serenade will arrive in NOLA soon! Hoping to hear from those with experiences from last year and, in a few weeks, people sailing this year.

Thanks to all who can help!

The answers to most of your questions will be here:

http://portno.com/parking

After dropping off passengers, you will turn left onto Julia Street (no other way to get out). The first street you come yo will be Convention Center Blvd. Take a right, and the entrance to the Whale lot will be about 1/2 block down on your right. They take cash or plastic.

I don't think theywould consider your van to be an "oversized" vehicle. I see small campers parked there. I've never seen the lot full, even on weekends.

Best arrival time would be around 10:30 or 11:00.

Thanks! I have contacted the port and have been told our van is NOT oversized, whew! Now I'm wondering if they will have porters taking luggage in the whale lot as I have read about previously. Maybe we would just enter the lot directly from Convention Center Blvd. and avoid traffic line-up in front of the port building . . .

Thanks! I have contacted the port and have been told our van is NOT oversized, whew! Now I'm wondering if they will have porters taking luggage in the whale lot as I have read about previously. Maybe we would just enter the lot directly from Convention Center Blvd. and avoid traffic line-up in front of the port building . . .

No porters in the Whale Lot. If you do it that way, be prepared to drag your luggage over to the terminal. Best bet is to drop everyone and the luggage off, then you go park and walk back. It is a zoo trying to walk through all the traffic with your luggage.

Ok, thanks!

Looking at the Wale Lot on Google Maps, they seem to have two elevated walkways from the lot to the terminal.

Is this correct? One along side Julia street?? and one in the center-back of the lot?

Looking at the Wale Lot on Google Maps, they seem to have two elevated walkways from the lot to the terminal.

Is this correct? One along side Julia street?? and one in the center-back of the lot?

I might be wrong, but I believe the two elevated walkways actually go into the Riverwalk mall. I don't know if there is access to the terminal from the mall since renovations on the mall were done.

I'm such a planner and like to know what to expect. Really feel like I'm going in blind here, lol!! I'm still hoping for some of the Serenade cruisers to come back and report after she starts sailing out of NOLA again here in the next wek.

If you are going to the Julia Street terminal (all non-Carnival ships), you would drop off passengers and luggage at the terminal, park in the Whale Lot, and walk back to the terminal. No need to go through the Riverwalk.

We are Royal Caribbean, Julia Street Terminal, Whale Lot parking, no drop off, carry-on only.

Going to avoid the congestion by going down convention center blvd directly to the whale lot.

Just trying to figure out which way to walk to the Julia Street Terminal from the Whale Lot.

I know, we'll find out when we get there. The obsessive planner would like to know in advance!!!

Thanks

Edited by RVRCLC