.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Will since I am sure that my DW, FT is in said pictures I really think that you should share.

If memory serves, said female table dancer posted incriminating evidence of the "Raining Men" incident on Facebook. You would think she would know better.:D:D

I Knew it! It just had to be. No one would name a street such unless it was named for.................might have referred to it as: "Man, I had me a buttload of vodka last night".:eek: Thankfully, I am now out West where you might hear: "Yippeekiyyaaay! Podner, I had me a skin full of vodka last night".:D

Haha

Jim the Legend

No explanations needed old chap (too much respect).

May we compromise and describe the vodka as "a wee shot" (retains both factual accuracy and Scottishness that "dram" is the correct term).

Haha

Jim the Legend

No explanations needed old chap (too much respect).

May we compromise and describe the vodka as "a wee shot" (retains both factual accuracy and Scottishness that "dram" is the correct term).

I would always defer to the wisdom and accuracy of one so familiar with drams, shots, etc. as Mr. Ho-Hum. After all, I have never had public thoroughfares named after me.:eek::D

I would always defer to the wisdom and accuracy of one so familiar with drams, shots, etc. as Mr. Ho-Hum. After all, I have never had public thoroughfares named after me.:eek::D

No, not a common public thoroughfare for you, me Lord.

But something far more, far more .........well.....

Do you really want the public to know of your legacy ?

They could make a book about it.......in fact they did !

And here's the proof. See photo.

image.jpg.2ad736d3f95da7e826031b8df622f870.jpg

No, not a common public thoroughfare for you, me Lord.

But something far more, far more .........well.....

Do you really want the public to know of your legacy ?

They could make a book about it.......in fact they did !

And here's the proof. See photo.

Now you have done it! I shall never have peace on the Pool Deck again. Oh the pressure such things place on one.:eek:

Now you have done it! I shall never have peace on the Pool Deck again. Oh the pressure such things place on one.:eek:

Sincere apologies m'lord !

Ho hum will offer his butler services anytime shielding you from the inquisitive passengers around the Pool.

Another wee shot m'lord ?

Sincere apologies m'lord !

Ho hum will offer his butler services anytime shielding you from the inquisitive passengers around the Pool.

Another wee shot m'lord ?

Your services always appreciated. As it is 1338 in the afternoon here, it is a bit early (not by much). Maybe a beer to settle my nerves.:D

Well, well, well.

This thread has just passed the first thread ho hum posted (in number of views).

And if you dont mind, ho hum would like to doff his cap as this thread passes by.

The posting arose from the injustice that was perceived by a passenger who wrote an unfair review of an inaugural voyage up the Amazon.

That poster had recently returned to Sea Dream and had a wonderful time.

In the spirit of friendship on these forums maybe the poster who wrote the review which sparked the thread, could post his views now: 2 years on.

The review follows in the next thread

The REAL Maiden Amazon Voyage of SeaDream II

Was Ho hum actually on the same voyage as ....... ?

Most of his experiences certainly do not accord with ho hum"s but to be fair he refers (twice) to fun loving fellow passengers and the great crew. Yes that is so very true; SD always attracts friendly fellow passengers and as for the crew, well words, cannot do justice, they are just magnificent.

But as for the rest of his critique, he is............... Well ho hum just offer this gentle rebuttal of his main points:

It is a 102 passenger classic vessel, referred to as “YACHT”, it is not competing with the larger vessels. It has no need to, it is an elegant, friendly vessel preferred by those discerning guests who want personal service, the opportunity to mingle with like-minded people (or not) and who certainly don't want “entertaining” that is why it is also referred to as “CLUB” (the mere mention of a “knobbly knees contest” would send ho hum's lady hyerventilating !).

Would a larger vessel even make it up to Iquitos ? Ho hum thinks not.

Trust ho hum the room sizes and facilities are more than adequate. Plus, where can you eat outside (including most evenings) ? For those from cooler climes, this is heaven.

Furthermore the size of the rooms and the facilities as well as the public areas are clearly displayed on all the companies particulars.

Would it not have been reasonable to check this before booking "an expensive cruise" (his words, not mine).?

What part of YACHT CLUB does he not understand ?

The weather during the trip was wonderful, if a little humid for the crew (especially those serving to passengers eating outside in the evenings). So if (as claimed) the sommelier filled the glass ever so slightly then maybe it's because he had a lot of ground to cover and wished to keep everybody lubricated.

He is one of the hardest working of the crew, hugely liked and respected and a great joke teller (when he has the time).

Ho hum most particular about his wine and He thought the regular wines were fine but the evening dinners deserved greater wines.

They had a great range, were fairly priced and the sommelier offered some great advice and were served perfectly (if they were not Ho hum would impose Sharia law punishment on the offending infidel ! You know what that means but an example would have at least been made).

The Amazon was the inaugural sailing for SD, and the Captain took this responsibility very seriously (as always). He was doing 6 hour shifts shared with his Chief Officer for the duration of the voyage. Very demanding, I think you would agree.

Ho hum too regret that we did not see the Captain as often as we would like but it was clear his priority was to the safety of the passengers and actually navigating the river.

Would he preferred to see the Captain schmoozing with lovely ladies, drink in hand whilst passing rocky outcrops so that he could wave to a friend of a friend ?

Or would he prefer the Captain to be exercising the greatest attention and personal responsibility whilst we had a gay old time (dont go there, it is an old English expression, not used as much these days ..)

The Captain is then criticised for addressing problems with the passengers (always the same few) !

What ? Ho hum views this as further testimony to his concern for the passengers and his sense of overall responsibility and not “dodging the issue”; he should be commended not criticised.

The dismissive comment that the food was "passable" is an astounding comment to make.

The food is consistently to a very high standard but on the Amazon voyage it was exceptional in every department.

We were fortunate to have an assembly of some of the best cooks in the world on board.

The chef is a particularly friendly and accessible guy, accommodating food allergies, preferences, fads, etc.. ; if there was something you particularly liked, he would make it !

But the real treat is to try food you would not normally order.

With the kind of experience and taste the waiting crew have, Ho hum simply let them order his meals (provided Ho hum has one soup and one desert): Ho hum was never disappointed and constantly amazed by the culinary skill of these giants.

Ho hum eats out a lot and are fortunate to eat in some amazing places.

SD kitchen is consistently very good as are the serving staff, eating outside or in the beautiful dining-room. On this point, my fellow passenger is hopelessly wrong. SD kitchen is remarkable and the experience of eating on SD is magnificent.

Ho hum cannot comment on his remarks concerning activities other than to advise that we were satisfied.

Concerning announcements: Ho hum detests intrusive announcements especially into cabins. SD have got this bang on with their view of being un-obtrusive. We were also mostly well informed, if there was something we wanted to know, we simply asked; no big hardship, in fact it was a way of inter-acting with fellow passengers.

Ho hum loved the comment about a track for the morning walk. Again it's a yacht not a large impersonal ship taking thousands of passengers. The walk lasts 20 minutes, sit somewhere else or join in. Get those endorphins going, they say it helps with your mood (may ho hum suggest, a couple of hours a day to start with, for you ?).

Ho hum also loved that he implied he was bored by the Amazon citing only seeing " birds-trees-water" etc.

Well you tend to get a lot of water around vessels ! They move better when they are on water !

Again he cites “trees”, what part of rainFOREST is he missing ?

What did he expect to see "the Sydney opera house, the hanging gardens of Babylon, herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically ..... (a famous excerpt from a British tv series: check it out below:

Well, happy sailing to you all whoever you prefer to sail with (or not).

Finally ho hum would add that we would not have done this trip except with SD, with this Captain and with his crew and one dares say a large number of our fellow passengers are likely to have felt the same (75% of whom were repeaters; yes we are just “suckers for punishment”. Bring it on.........Ho hum loves you SD, SD crew and every inch of your beautiful classic yacht, cant wait to see you again soon even though Go...an has awful wobbly needs ! Dont look darling !)

Comtinuing extracts from ho hum's fiirst posts.

NOT TO BRING or DO

-never, never, NEVER wear ANY jewellery, watches off the boat (and don't say "why this ole thing, my daddy bought me" surely this 5 carat ole ring will be OK ?" not if you prefer to keep the finger, your silly ole ring's on". Dress down (like ho-hum when he dresses up), don't chew gum, wear base ball caps, speak loudly, say "howdy" to every life form you meet, constantly look at maps, guidebooks, ask the way to anywhere to anybody, walk in groups, stick to main areas. But enough of Miami !

-Sea Dreamers are the very best behaved people on the seas but when coming off the vessel, you are in a different world. So, don't go around grinning, don't gawk at children, don't photograph anyone, don't pet anything, take the attitude you are representing the Queen (no, not Elton John)

-dont wear lavish make-up and hair-do's and for the women, you are perfect just as you are, honestly, wouldnt say it if ho hum didnt mean it

WHAT TO EXPECT

- Trips on SD up the Amazon gather passengers fulfilling "Indiana Jones" wishes and throw themselves into everything, ranging to those happy to see the passing sites from the Top of the Yacht Bar gaining great amusement from the various garments worn by fellow passengers but who prefer to enjoy one another's company and see the passing panoply (look it up) whilst it glides effortlessly along, sipping G&TS and nibbling on nuts.

Now which category of potential passenger are you ? Now be very honest. The reality is, the age group varies from a very few athletic young (like ho- hum) to dear V from Virginia (95 years and as eager and enthusiastic as the youngest passenger).

- Potential side effects from anti-malaria tablets and yellow fever immunisation (especially the elderly, sorry that probably means you, though you look a fine specimen of a man/woman to me if you dont me being so bold)

-bugs at night there are surprisingly few bugs. Instead of running around the ship like a character being attacked in the film Alien, bring a microscope and see the beauty of Gods creatures (and definitely don't stamp on it)

- humidity, if eating outside, so wear loose, light baggy clothes but as covered as possible (a berkah would work perfectly)

-alighting and boarding zodiacs is tricky (but highly amusing and bonding

Well, well, well.

This thread has just passed the first thread ho hum posted (in number of views).

And if you dont mind, ho hum would like to doff his cap as this thread passes by.

The posting arose from the injustice that was perceived by a passenger who wrote an unfair review of an inaugural voyage up the Amazon.

That poster had recently returned to Sea Dream and had a wonderful time.

In the spirit of friendship on these forums maybe the poster who wrote the review which sparked the thread, could post his views now: 2 years on.

The review follows in the next thread

Mr. Hum you are certainly prolific:eek: and are to be commended for all the views your posts acquire but I fear you shall never catch the "Kids on SeaDream" thread. So sorry.:D

Mr. Hum you are certainly prolific:eek: and are to be commended for all the views your posts acquire but I fear you shall never catch the "Kids on SeaDream" thread. So sorry.:D

Prolific you say, the man with over 4400 posts !

Ho hum is not the competitive type: ho hum is the fun, friendly type constantly fed by an eternal well of joyousness (believe ho hum when he says, this truly is just one outlet. And more importantly, it makes him giggle doing it; if no one else. It keeps the happy-love juices flowing.).

Well that's enough, back to world domination ! (according to Jim),

AND

The income received from ransoms with various persons who do not wish compromising photos to be published and appalling behaviour onboard, exposed !

Which reminds ho hum; last months protection money has not been received from you Jim.

You have a week otherwise the photo of you, the giraffe and the three dwarves will be posted !

You have helped ho hum to decide whether to post the final Amazon piece, in which is a You Tube link to the amazing and lovely Johnny Barnes.

Ho hum too is simply standing at the roundabout (of life) as you drive by on your way to whatever is earnestly important in your life.

Mad old fool ? (Ho hum would prefer to say Holy Fool because he has a simple out-pouring of love for his fellow man).

And ho hum wouldn't want to change a thing: neither could he, in actual fact.

To paraphrase Kahlil Gibran: "it comes through you not from you".

Ask any artist. One day it will simply stop. And then even deeper peace. Bliss, let ho hum be completely spent.

Check out the short Introduction film. The main film is worth a watch too:

Finally, ALL our thanks to GoRRRdon for keeping the very important "Kid" thread in a prominent position: may it continue to do so. Cheers GoRRRdon. More "fresh" ideas would be great and keep it going.

Oh, by the way Jim, how much do you wager ?

Lets say $250 to the Crew Fund if this thread exceeds the Kids thread over the same 9 month period ?

As we say in Britain "put your money where your mouth is " (whatever that means ? But we know the implication. Dont we Jim.)

Arck- buck, buck. Arck- buck, buck. Arck- buck, buck.

Oh and 3lbs of Colston Bassett, Stilton from Neal's Yard, London (posted; in addition to ho hum's monthly selection of British & Irish cheeses).

http://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/cheeses/Colston%20Bassett%20Stilton.pdf

Ho hum's lady has finished her 2 week annual beauty overhaul from top to toe at Madam Rita's Puerto Rican beauty treatment, spa and wheel replacement facility, then trawled round every jewellery shop (deep joy), telling ho hum "you must come with me, i really value your opinion" to which ho hum replies "and what about the other 364 days of the year, suddenly ho hum knows something about something, oi vay"

Sorry ho hum disgressed. To answer your enquiry JES, all ho hum is permitted to say by his parole officer, is, he we will be escaping to Europe very soon.

The Captain has got the engines running on the boat and applying a fresh coat of paint.

The SD guys in Miami have promised there will be proper Provençal rose on board (not the fluorescent South -African sugar water offered last time; you see Ho hum does know about wine). THAT NEVER HAPPENED.

Constantine is busy making new amazing soups

Garfield is planning to push ho hum past the 1lb a day weight gain (we all must have a dream)

Tomasz is doing his thing as enthusiastic as ever about absolutely anything.

Werner is whipping all the boys into even better service and practising his dance moves, Emmanuel is practicing how long he can keep smiling (he's up to 12.5 hours a day, now), Jeff is arranging the Adele concert every night outside on the big screen (come hell and high water; it might very well be choppy but it's never hell),

Frank is wrecklessly reducing prices on Bordeaux and Burgundies (we all must have a dream)

The bar boys (S, Z, R, J, M, L) are taking on extra provisions and ignoring that stupid cost saving idea of not providing nuts (they provide essential vitamins)

The spa girls are getting their sea-sickness injections (Ho hum wants to marry all of them but not if they are sick)

The crew ladies are decorating the rooms in every imaginable shape of towel into elephants, swans (all life size, which is a bit difficult if you want to get into bed and they are the best beds in the world)

Sammy will be practicing "Lady Gaga" for ho hum's beautiful partner and "Highway 61" for ho hum (on electric guitar this time, a piano dont do it, man)

The laundry will be preparing all types of wine stain removers for ho hum's shirts, trousers etc.. when ho hum's bejewelled, orange glowing partner says "you can't go out looking like that ! You look like some old tramp"

The Chief Officer will be practicing his "Mr.Grimsdale" routine (sorry its a Brit thing, look up Norman Wisdom on YouTube)

The reception desk ladies will be being briefed that Ho hum has a memory like a sieve and ask the most stupid questions (but he always found watering holes and food, so not that hopeless).

This year is an abundant year, we've done 2 trips in the Caribbean over New Year, the Amazon, this next trip and we will join Bob Lepisto on the Presidents Voyage (when he buys everyone drinks at the Top of the Yacht Bar; we havent the heart to tell him they're free in case he found out and starts charging for drinks on SD) around Greece then the exact opposite trip of our next trip.

Which deck do we stay on ? The deck with the tenders and life rafts (in fact lift the cover and pop by if you're passing it would be great to meet up and bring some left over food and swipe a few bottles of champagne; we have a casual dress code in tender number 3, so come as you are).

And yes we always do Sea Dream II, we know where everything is on SDII but ho hum had heard the crew is just as nice as SDI (except for that guy who speaks thro his nose, in charge of waiters, from off the Italian coast, hopefully staying with us, if he can only be not so lazy and let us know if he's actually coming, sorry name totally escapes ho hum).

And to mimito4, ho hum felt the wave of joy simply float off the words you wrote which enveloped the room and it cheered ho hum up for the day.

Ho hum loves the ladies. People ask ho-hum "so what do you like in a woman ?" well, I suppose, breathing has to be right up there.

Ho hum will post a short film of himself counting down the days when He will be going on Sea Dream. (This was before my facial reconstruction required by witness protection). This is how one feels when we think of all the amazing crew we've met and the great times with fellow passengers.

No really it's a tribute to a great very ordinary guy that had his life filled (by what is not important) and this is how he felt and wanted to share (as ho-hum also wants to share about the wonder of SD and the amazing people; crew and passengers, that sail with her). Can you hear soft violins playing.

Sorry for all this nonsense to those that have never been on SD or require straight facts only. Be warned you might end up like ho- hum ! or if you really, really get it, then like Johnny Barnes !! (lets hope so and as soon as possible; soon the roundabouts will be full of us, waving, blowing kisses...).

Now do yourself a favour, you've read this diatribe, you deserve a gift. Watch this clip, allow, open and enjoy (keep Kleenex nearby).

As JB would say " I love you, I love you, I love you" bye for now.

Neals Yard Dairy is our first stop in London. No kidding. The place is magic. I don't know where they hide the cows but you can surely smell them. The bread is as good as the cheeses. With all the wonderful restaurants in London, we invariably make a meal of bread and cheese. They will not ship to the US though. Something about our silly politicians making more useless rules.

Prolific you say, the man with over 4400 posts !

Ho hum is not the competitive type: ho hum is the fun, friendly type constantly fed by an eternal well of joyousness (believe ho hum when he says, this truly is just one outlet. And more importantly, it makes him giggle doing it; if no one else. It keeps the happy-love juices flowing.).

Well that's enough, back to world domination ! (according to Jim),

AND

The income received from ransoms with various persons who do not wish compromising photos to be published and appalling behaviour onboard, exposed !

Which reminds ho hum; last months protection money has not been received from you Jim.

You have a week otherwise the photo of you, the giraffe and the three dwarves will be posted !

You have helped ho hum to decide whether to post the final Amazon piece, in which is a You Tube link to the amazing and lovely Johnny Barnes.

Ho hum too is simply standing at the roundabout (of life) as you drive by on your way to whatever is earnestly important in your life.

Mad old fool ? (Ho hum would prefer to say Holy Fool because he has a simple out-pouring of love for his fellow man).

And ho hum wouldn't want to change a thing: neither could he, in actual fact.

To paraphrase Kahlil Gibran: "it comes through you not from you".

Ask any artist. One day it will simply stop. And then even deeper peace. Bliss, let ho hum be completely spent.

Check out the short Introduction film. The main film is worth a watch too:

Finally, ALL our thanks to GoRRRdon for keeping the very important "Kid" thread in a prominent position: may it continue to do so. Cheers GoRRRdon. More "fresh" ideas would be great and keep it going.

Oh, by the way Jim, how much do you wager ?

Lets say $250 to the Crew Fund if this thread exceeds the Kids thread over the same 9 month period ?

As we say in Britain "put your money where your mouth is " (whatever that means ? But we know the implication. Dont we Jim.)

Arck- buck, buck. Arck- buck, buck. Arck- buck, buck.

Oh and 3lbs of Colston Bassett, Stilton from Neal's Yard, London (posted; in addition to ho hum's monthly selection of British & Irish cheeses).

http://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/cheeses/Colston%20Bassett%20Stilton.pdf

You eat 3 pounds of cheese and you will need more than one prune martini.:eek::D I am fond of Cheshire though. As far as the giraffe/dwarf thing, as they say in San Francisco: "Don't knock it till you have tried it".

Edited by Jim Avery

Sorry Gyro for that slight detour but here we are back with second part.

You have to ask yourself, if a series of lectures over 10 days on The London Underground: the first hundred years, was announced in your local town, would you go ?

Of course not. So what makes you go on your holiday.

Those who do go to the lectures become brainwashed akin to the "Stockholm Syndrome" whereby hostages captured by terrorists, begin to feel "empathy" for the hostage taker even though they are depriving them of their freedom.

So having done one lecture you feel duty bound to do another out of mis-placed sympathy for the lecturer and other attendees/victims.

An un-comfortable quasi-bond with other attendees/victims is made: "well we are all in it together" type melange of "we have to stick through it" types.

And for these type of attendees/victims, the even greater fear awaits them.

An interested attendee/victim who proceeds to ask either bafflingly stupid questions or questions designed to show off a vainly, passing knowledge in something faintly related and also extremely boring.

You enter the Salon, sit at the rear, sheepishly.

The lecturer amiably beckons you to come nearer. You hesitatingly and uncomfortably oblige.

There is no sense of the Salon filling (like it did at cocktails at the first night) but you cant see behind you just how many others have entered the trap.

Then the blinds are lowered and the door is shut. You are trapped !

Escaping would create a scene !

Everyone would look at you with eyes of betrayal !

The next 90 minutes crawl by. It is a sunny day outside. The incessant dialogue begins "why did I come, why did I come, oh Gaawwddd !"

image.jpg.079295c1972880c8e621a4d675df8766.jpg

So packing and closing up the old homestead to-day for a midday start tomorrow (BA: Lodon-Delhi). Dont you just hate that part of travelling ? (No, its more of a rhetorical question, really it is, no trust ho hum, it Is !).

Always forget something ! Ho hum has a list which he now must follow !

Temperatures look a tad high (for a Brit) in Rajasthan (26-40) but more pleasant in Mumbai (24-33) but it's a dry heat.

Weather in UK is brightening up but quite a cold snap.

Wisteria has come out very early this year; usually comes out after a crossing.

Safe travels for Gyro and everyone.

Now there will be no excursions on this trip, no children (its been advised by HQ) and SD2 has 2 (yes 2 !) working engines: the sheer opulence !

So the question ho hum has to ask:

"I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?"

Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement.

But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question:

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

No, the real question is (punks and punkettes):

"Will there be anything to report to you guys ?

And more importantly "Do you want to hear from ho hum ?"

As you know by now, ho hum has respect for fellow passengers, so no, tittle-tattle. Aaaaaa ! Now dont be like that, you are an adult (supposedly) !

Well we will have to see won't we. One final post on the perils of attending lectures tomorrow. Ooohhh !

No you will have to wait !

Wow! Turn my back for a while ( I have been a little distracted with the evil cyclone and subsequent floods up north with work n such) and all sorts of interesting topics and extortion threats appear on this thread!

Its not that we would succumb to Stockholm Syndrome (and no hesitation in causing a scene by running away quickly either…life's too short for that stuff!) but more that there seems to have been some interesting lectures on other voyages …but not this one…oh well.

Safe travels to you guys too and I wonder if you will be able to ID us when we embark? I will be timing you…..:D

Wow! Turn my back for a while ( I have been a little distracted with the evil cyclone and subsequent floods up north with work n such) and all sorts of..................

Safe travels to you guys too and I wonder if you will be able to ID us when we embark? I will be timing you…..:D

How thoughtless of ho hum, the terrible weather you guys have been having.

Lectures have been done to death, so ho hum will desist.

ID'ing won't be too trying.........ho hum is a tall, South London, guy, travelling "toute soles" with blondie, tight curly hair whose first name begins with P !