Steam and Sauna

Aussie Jeep

Looking at booking a cruise and want to make sure I go on a Ship that has separate Steam and Sauna for men and women. I don't like to use shared steam rooms or saunas. Any advice on the ships that still have separate male and female areas. Also any comments on which are the best. Looking to cruise out of the USA. Thanks

The larger Princess cruise ships do. Our last cruise on the Crown Princess last year in August had a sauna and steam bath in the spa/gym change rooms (Free of Charge). They also have the Thermal suite (the fancy steam rooms/saunas/ceramic beds etc.) for a fee, but this is unisex (I still like it as we get to blend our own body scrub to take with us - and we generally had it to our selves anyway. They only allow a limited number of guests to join on embarkation. Or - there is the free of charge men or women only ones in the change rooms - just as good - but no fancy tiles etc.

We are on the Diamond Princess in 2 weeks. They have just fitted it with a "Japanese Bath House". Best I have seen at see. Separate Bath houses for men and women. Have a look here... I am really looking forward to this.

This would be a surcharge to use. You would still have the option of using the free Sauna and Steam bath in the Gym/Lotus spa change rooms. There are towels/robes/free lockers in the change rooms to use before entering.

Diamond Princess is based in Japan for half the year, and then based in Australia for the other half. Hooray!

Most ships and cruise lines have steam and saunas. If you’re looking for FREE to use the list gets shorter. You say you want to sail from a US port if you can tell me where your thinking and if you want free or to pay and I will try to give you a list. As for coed I’m on your side I would not like that either.

Joe

Check out this tread in the Fitness, Spa and Sports area of

Special Interest Cruising:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=218016

There are details on many ships posted in that thread.

If you can't find any information on a ship you are considering,

post an inquiry there. Many of us read that thread often and

you will probably get a quick reply.

On NCL-

Sun (and presumably her sister Sky) has free unisex steam and sauna

Gem & Jade (and presumably their sister ships Pearl and Jewell) have free uni sex sauna

On Princess, Caribbean Princess has free unisex steam and sauna

Thanks for your replies. I was probably going to to a Caribbean cruise. I did the Magic a little while back and it was awesome. I don't want to book a cruise on a ship and get on board to find that the steam and sauna is co-ed. If you could give me an idea of the ships that have separate steam and sauna that would be awesome. Thanks

On Royal Caribbean, Oasis and Allure would definitely be out for you--the only steam rooms/saunas are in the spa for an extra charge and are mixed sex. We do not care for these, but have used them because that's all there is.

But, both Freedom-class (Freedom, Independence, and Liberty of the Seas) and Voyager-class (Voyager, Mariner, Explorer, Adventure, and Navigator of the Seas) ships have excellent locker rooms with spacious steam rooms and saunas, separated by sex and free of charge.

I've seen on here that many of the smaller ships on Royal Caribbean have the separate setup as well, but that information is harder to find (and since we've not sailed these classes of ships, I have no personal experience). As mentioned above, there are earlier threads on the Fitness Cruises board that may answer some of those questions.

If I may also offer a suggestion regarding itinerary/home port, there are cruises on Royal sailing out of San Juan on Adventure of the Seas that are southern Caribbean routes with very interesting itineraries. If you sail out of Florida, depending on the time of year, it is not always immediately warm weather starting out.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

On Royal Caribbean, Oasis and Allure would definitely be out for you--the only steam rooms/saunas are in the spa for an extra charge and are mixed sex.

But, both Freedom-class (Freedom, Independence, and Liberty of the Seas) and Voyager-class (Voyager, Mariner, Explorer, Adventure, and Navigator of the Seas) ships have excellent locker rooms with spacious steam rooms and saunas, separated by sex and free of charge.

I've seen on here that many of the smaller ships on Royal Caribbean have the separate setup as well,

As mentioned above, Oasis and Allure do NOT have separate facilities.

All ships in the Freedom, Voyager and Radiance classes DO have them as well as the co-ed pay areas.

In Vision class, Enchantment of the Seas does NOT have any pay or non-pay at all. It is the exception.

The others in Vision class have separate, free faciliities.

I do not know about Majesty, as I have not sailed that ship. It is rumored that it is leaving the RCL fleet in the next year or so, so might be a moot point.

Every Carnival ship we have been on had a male only steam room and/or sauna. They are attached to the locker room:)

Does the Carnival ships Sunshine and Breeze you've sailed have free steam and sauna?

Edited by CrusingJoe

As mentioned above, Oasis and Allure do NOT have separate facilities.

All ships in the Freedom, Voyager and Radiance classes DO have them as well as the co-ed pay areas.

In Vision class, Enchantment of the Seas does NOT have any pay or non-pay at all. It is the exception.

The others in Vision class have separate, free faciliities.

I do not know about Majesty, as I have not sailed that ship. It is rumored that it is leaving the RCL fleet in the next year or so, so might be a moot point.

The Majesty does not..

On Royal Caribbean, Oasis and Allure would definitely be out for you--the only steam rooms/saunas are in the spa for an extra charge and are mixed sex. We do not care for these, but have used them because that's all there is.

I've seen on here that many of the smaller ships on Royal Caribbean have the separate setup as well, but that information is harder to find (and since we've not sailed these classes of ships, I have no personal experience). As mentioned above, there are earlier threads on the Fitness Cruises board that may answer some of those questions.

If I may also offer a suggestion regarding itinerary/home port, there are cruises on Royal sailing out of San Juan on Adventure of the Seas that are southern Caribbean routes with very interesting itineraries. If you sail out of Florida, depending on the time of year, it is not always immediately warm weather starting out.

I agree sailing out of Jan Juan has great itineraries, but I have found they do not attract a lot of our family, as with other US ports. The ships sailing from San Juan will have a lot of passengers from San Juan. I have found a ships home port is what you can expect most passengers will be from.

I agree sailing out of Jan Juan has great itineraries, but I have found they do not attract a lot of our family, as with other US ports. The ships sailing from San Juan will have a lot of passengers from San Juan. I have found a ship's home port is what you can expect most passengers will be from.

We've sailed out of San Juan three times, and have had varying results. On two of the three cruises there was definitely a larger presence of European and continental U.S. passengers. Only on one of the cruises did there seem to be an overwhelming local presence. And as for family being on the cruise, on the ones we've done, home port didn't seem to matter in the number we met. It likewise varied. I think time of year has as much to do with it, as well as length of cruise and other factors, in the passenger population makeup.

All Celebrity ships have a private men's dry sauna, in the locker changing area (with showers).

All M-Class & S-Class Celebrity ships have co-ed Persian Garden which includes steam, dry, scents, warm tiled loungers / benches and showers. There typically is a fee for these, unless you book Aqua Class.

The dry men's only saunas are nice on the M-Class...fairly large with a window overlooking the sea. The men's only dry sauna on S-Class has smaller dry saunas, which face out into the shower area.

On Princess, have only sailed Diamond and Pacific, and both had men only steam areas. Diamond also had men's only dry sauna, Pacific did not.

Does the Carnival ships Sunshine and Breeze you've sailed have free steam and sauna?

We have not been on the Sunshine yet. As far as the Breeze, it is free but if I remember correctly, the men's locker room only has a sauna:)

There is a 29 day cruise out of San Diego in April 2015 on HAL Statendam. Has anyone cruised on this ship lately?

No but we went on the HAL Ryndam last year and it certainly had separate steam and saunas :)

I presume you will find what is on JAde and Gem-free small (3 man?)steam located in the men's locker room off the multi gendered fitness room. Pearl should also have the fee based thermo suite with sauna and steam, ceramic heated loungers and small thallsopy (forgive my butchering of the spelling) pool

• 1 month later...

I'll be on Carnival Legend in a few days. Love that it has the window in them. Can't wait to use them. Used Paradises' facilities, and they were great. Steam room sometimes took time to steam up, but when it was, it was great!

• 3 weeks later...
The larger Princess cruise ships do. Our last cruise on the Crown Princess last year in August had a sauna and steam bath in the spa/gym change rooms (Free of Charge). They also have the Thermal suite (the fancy steam rooms/saunas/ceramic beds etc.) for a fee, but this is unisex (I still like it as we get to blend our own body scrub to take with us - and we generally had it to our selves anyway. They only allow a limited number of guests to join on embarkation. Or - there is the free of charge men or women only ones in the change rooms - just as good - but no fancy tiles etc.

We are on the Diamond Princess in 2 weeks. They have just fitted it with a "Japanese Bath House". Best I have seen at see. Separate Bath houses for men and women. Have a look here... I am really looking forward to this.

This would be a surcharge to use. You would still have the option of using the free Sauna and Steam bath in the Gym/Lotus spa change rooms. There are towels/robes/free lockers in the change rooms to use before entering.

Diamond Princess is based in Japan for half the year, and then based in Australia for the other half. Hooray!

Hi Lanwood-

We were on the Diamond last year, before her modification and Japanese baths were added and enjoyed the steam and sauna in the men's locker area. We booked an AUS / NZ cruise for 2015 on the Diamond. I was curious what your thoughts are on your last cruise and the Japanese Baths? Also, was curious if the Diamond still has the separate steam and dry sauna in the men's locker area?

Thanks for any feedback and comments!

Edited by Mermen