Half Day Tour with Big Beards or Caribbean Sea Adventures?

Ejd1971

Looking to go to Buck Island and a little snorkeling also. We're pretty much novices when it comes to snorkeling, so don't want to spend the whole time snorkeling. Hanging at Turtle Bach would be preferable. Both companies seem to so very similar tours, and I've already checked with tripAdvisor, but I still can't decide? We were thinking of going with Caribbean Sea Adventures because they have a Buck Island beach shuttle for $25pp, that just is the beach only though. Help!

Looking to go to Buck Island and a little snorkeling also. We're pretty much novices when it comes to snorkeling, so don't want to spend the whole time snorkeling. Hanging at Turtle Bach would be preferable. Both companies seem to so very similar tours, and I've already checked with tripAdvisor, but I still can't decide? We were thinking of going with Caribbean Sea Adventures because they have a Buck Island beach shuttle for $25pp, that just is the beach only though. Help!

EJD, I have gone to St. Croix 15 times on land and had never known I could just take the shuttle to the beach on Buck. This is a great option in my opinion. Turtle Beach is gorgeous and it always seems like a sin to just be able to spend an hour there when you go on a Buck Island snorkel trip.

I would book with Caribbean Sea Adventures (all the charters that go to Buck are great) and be prepared with water and food for your stay. You will also have time to hike to the top of the mountain on Buck. There are some palapas for shade and some picnic tables but think rustic and be prepared.

EJD, I have gone to St. Croix 15 times on land and had never known I could just take the shuttle to the beach on Buck. This is a great option in my opinion. Turtle Beach is gorgeous and it always seems like a sin to just be able to spend an hour there when you go on a Buck Island snorkel trip.

I would book with Caribbean Sea Adventures (all the charters that go to Buck are great) and be prepared with water and food for your stay. You will also have time to hike to the top of the mountain on Buck. There are some palapas for shade and some picnic tables but think rustic and be prepared.

Thanks Lovstx! I was thinking no one else was interested. I'm glad I could enlighten you about the beach shuttle. It does sound like a good thing to me!

• 3 months later...

Please be aware Buck Island is a National Park and the NPS nor the Coast Guard allow for people to be shuttled and left at Buck Island. This did happen and was stopped.....or supposed to be. The Park Rangers are watching this closely. I live on St Croix. Taxi rates per person round trip from cruise pier is $16pp.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an email to both Big Beard's and Caribbean Adventures a couple weeks ago. Heard right back from Big Beard's, but no reply from Caribbean Adventures. I'm wondering if they might be doing Carnival's excursion there? Does anyone know of any other company (besides Jolly Roger who you have to call to reserve) who goes over there?

• 2 weeks later...
Big Beards, CSA, and Jolly Roger are 3 of the 5. Torerro and Lewellyn also go. They are the only 5 approved by the National Park Service. Hope this helps. I would recommend Jolly Roger and Big Beards.

Do you know which vendor does the tour for Holland America, Maasdam? Thanks so much:)

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure that the only thing different between half and full day is that full day sails back to a beach on st. Croix for a beach barbecue.

All half day trips will do an hour of snorkeling and an hour of Turtle Beach time.

I'm pretty sure that the only thing different between half and full day is that full day sails back to a beach on st. Croix for a beach barbecue.

All half day trips will do an hour of snorkeling and an hour of Turtle Beach time.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...