How easy is it to hire tour guide in Antigua when you get off bus with Cruise Ship

Ruth

We booked transportation only from Puerto Quetzal to Antigua. Cruise Critic's have said this is the best way to go. With Royal Caribbean it is only $49 per person. I under you are dropped off in town around the Jade Factory. I have read on some reviews you can how hire a guide to do a walking tour. I have printed out a map of Antigua and have several site we want to go through but would like a guide to give us a bit of history.

How easy is it to find a guide? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

We were on an excursion from the Celebrity Infinity which was named something along the lines of "Antigua on you own." We took a motor coach from Puerto Quetzal to Antigua. An orientation was provided during the drive, and simple maps were handed out. We were dropped off at a visitor's center and told when to return. There is very limited parking due to the very narrow streets, and so the motor coaches returned for us. At the visitor's center there were a number of licensed guides, and folks who wanted to hire a guide had absolutely no problems doing so since there was a sufficient number of guides. Also unlicensed guides also approached us around the visitor's center.

If you have a smart phone there is a guide to Antigua which can be downloaded.

Archived