Voyager Med cruise Oct 27

AngieS

We are doing the Rome/Livorno/Corsica/Ibiza/Palma/Marseille/Monte Carlo itinerary on this trip and wondered if anyone had any tips for shore excursions? I have been through the boards and private tours from Livorno seem very expensive so we will probably do the Regent excursion there. Should we book any other tours for the other stops or do them on our own?

Thanks!

I am on this cruise and have so far booked 3 excursions. I tried to pick the wine and food type stuff due to the region and less walking. I may book one or two more things but haven't decided. I wanted half day and not too pricey. Give these a look, and maybe I will see you.

Wine Tasting at Maionchi Vineyard &VillaDuration: 3¾ Hours.

Walking.

Code: LIV-18Enjoy a taste of Tuscany's lush natural beauty during a relaxing and enjoyable wine tasting and visit at the Maionchi Vineyard.

Tuscany, the land of Renaissance, is one of the most famous tourist locations in Europe. This charming stretch of land, blessed by nature, is famous for its art, history, beautiful landscapes and hillsides, green cypress trees, charming farmhouses, and stunning villas. This region of Italy is also renowned for its unique wine, which is exported worldwide. In Tuscany, wine is king, and has especially strong ties to both art and religion. At the same time, Tuscany thrives on a modern wine industry.

Depart the pier for the scenic drive to the area around Lucca, where you'll visit Fattoria Maionchi, a farmhouse producing its own red and white wine. Fattoria Maionchi presides over the lush surrounding landscape abundant with vineyards and olive trees. You'll have the opportunity to see the cellars where fine wine ages in chestnut or oak barrels, and learn about the procedures for wine making. During your tour, you'll also taste different kinds of wines, including a typical sweet Tuscan wine called Vin Santo, or holy wine, accompanied by a few snacks.

Overland Porto-AjaccioDuration: 5 Hours.

Walking.

Code: GDP-1Explore the scenic beauty and historic sites of the Mediterranean during this orientation tour along the exquisite Corsican Coast.

You'll depart Porto, the Corsican port renowned for the beauty of its surrounding red cliffs, or calanques, for your journey to Calanches de Piana. This striking geological formation overlooks the Corsican coast between Ajaccio and Calvi, and is classified as a Unesco World Heritage Site. A stop will be made to admire the spectacular panoramic vistas from the scenic rose-colored granite cliffs that plunge into the crystal clear waters below.

Next, you'll proceed to the ancient Greek village of Cargese to visit its Catholic and Orthodox Churches. Leaving Cargese, you'll view charming seaside resorts en route to the Gulf of Sagone. Continue on to San Bastiano, Ajaccio and the Gulf of Ajaccio, with superb photo opportunities along the way.

Your tour concludes with a wine tasting at one of the local wineries before rejoining your coach for the return drive back to the ship.

Please Note: The roads can be somewhat steep and winding.

Gastronomical Experience in Can MarquesDuration: 3 Hours.

Hiking.

Code: PAL-299Can Marquesa is one of the best preserved stately homes in Mallorca. Documents have been excavated, proving that the house dates back to the 14th century. All the rooms feature original decorations,that gives a glimpse of the lifestyle of the Palma bourgeoisie. The house features contemporary art collections which compliment the beautiful exhibition space of ancient grace. You will depart pier, do a short panorama of the city and end up in Can Marques, where a Gastronomical Experience will take place for approx an hour and a half. You will visit the house of Can Marques as well as enjoy a typical sample of Mallorcan snack made the old fashion way. Enjoy a taste of Spain with products such as: mini Cocarrois, mini Ensaimadas, vegetables cakes, cold meats assortment, cheeses and grapes, Millefeuilles in different vararities, chicken croquettes, olives,dried fruits, Sherry wine, Spanish champagne, orange juices and mineral water. Coffee at the end of the tasting will give you the boost to tour the rest of the house, then back to the ship.

Hi Debbie

Sorry I haven't replied sooner! I think we will probably do the second one in Corsica as it sounds very interesting. We are travelling with another couple and they are going to do Florence and we will do Siena the first day. I love cooking and wine but what with all the food/wine we will be having on board, I might explode doing a food/wine tour!!! I hope we meet you too. My husband's name is Mark, I am Angie and we are travelling with Jay and Laura. It is our 20th Wedding anniversary so we are really looking forward to the trip. We were on this ship a few years ago for the Baltic cruise and just loved it. I am going to try to do some reading up on the other ports to see what might be fun to do.

Angie

The wine type tours probably only have a sampling, and I picked the Tuscany one to see the landscape. I am more interested in Lucca and that tour than Florence, and I want something not too long. Seems you can't go wrong. I booked the Hassler in Rome a day before the cruise and La Perouse in Nice the day after. I am anxious to see how Regent Voyager compares to Silver Wind and Silver Whisper. I know we are in for something special.

This weekend, I will have some time for some more research. I still have to get my transfers set up.

I don't want to plan too much because I want to make sure I don't miss the Custeau (sp) lectures and such.

We have decided to rent a car on Friday when we arrive, drive to the Sheraton and then drive to Civitavecchia the next day as we are taking our friends' luggage for them to the port while they tour Rome. I found quite a few companies online that do transfers...prices seem pretty standard and around 150 Euros from downtown Rome. Lucky you doing the Silver Wind in December...sounds fabulous. We still have two teens at home so are not able to travel as much as we would like! I also plan to attend the lectures. When we did the Baltic Cruise on the Voyager the lectures and entertainment were first rate.

DebbieH103

We went on the Maionchi farm tour last October and found it very interesting, both in the coach tour around the countryside and also the farm itself. It is in a beautiful location and the stroll around gives a good insight into the plants etc growing there.

There was plenty of wine at the tastings and we were a happy bunch when we headed for home (or, actually, Voyager!)

We just returned from the Voyager 9/22 sailing. We would recommend the 1/2 day morning tour of Lucca by bicycle. Actual time on bike was 2 hours on the virtually flat terrain of the medieval wall, very easy riding. Got back to the ship about 1pm and had rest of the day to relax and just enjoy the ship. We did not want to spend 3 hours of our day just getting to/from Florence.

Thsi is just to say that I hope everyone else enjoys their stay at La Perouse as much as we did-- we absolutely loved it. Didn't care much for the first room we were shown, but thought the room we finally got was terrific: 401. I urge anyone who books that hotel to ask for a room no lower than 3rd floor, with our strong preference for 4th or higher (didn't see any of the rooms on the 5th floor). What views! Nice hotel altogether. And (to our surprise) we liked Nice very much. (Though liked St Paul and Vence and Eze even more)

I booked a sea view balcony room at Le Perouse. People have been recommending getting a driver from the pier that would show me Eze on the way to Nice. Is that a good plan? I did sign up for early arrival at Le Perouse, though I don't know that I can do anything but drop off bags there. My flight the next day leaves at 9 a.m. ( a mistake), so if I am going to enjoy Nice and the hotel, I need to get up there.

For Lucca, I am doing the wine tour, and I am looking forward to it. I got my docs yesterday, so I am excited.

Archived