Scooter Rental in St Martin?

CRUISEFOUR

I have a different experience, but maybe it is because i am used to being focused in traffic. Always and anywhere, also on St. Martin. And yes I agree that there is more traffic, and especially the local women drive like maniacs. They will just enter the road from left and right without using their indicators or paying attention. So with that in mind driving on the Dutch-side when you are paying attention is actually very doable. The French-side is way safer when looking at traffic. For example if you rent a scooter in Simpson bay and drive from there over the bridge towards the airport, traffic ain't that bad, and you are still on the Dutch-side. From there you can watch the planes at Maho and after that continue all the way trough Mullet where there hardly is any traffic. And as soon as you reach Cupe Coy you are entering the French-side up the hill across the Terres Basses area and into Nettle Bay / Sandy ground of to Marigot. A very nice and easy route. So absolutely doable! From Marigot you drive back to the Cole Bay roundabout and you are back on the Dutch-side, go across the big new bridge over the lagoon and you are back to Simpson Bay again. And trust me that route is very easy when looking at the amount of traffic. Okay going into Philipsburg is a different thing, but if I was on a cruise and wanted to rent a scooter, I would just take a bus for 2 dollars from Philipsburg to Simpson Bay and stop at the Simpson Bay bridge across the Royal Palm and rent a scooter at Johhny. Because from there you can explore the island without any traffic problems.

Your last sentence made me laugh. Some of the absolute worse traffic that i have experienced has been at that exact area of the island. My DH and DD nearly missed the plane in May 2015 because of dropping something off in that area and being stuck in terrible traffic.

Also its not the local women driving like maniacs as you say that scare me but instead it is the young men on motorcycles cutting in and out of traffic that i have seen cause accidents and near misses.

Your last sentence made me laugh. Some of the absolute worse traffic that i have experienced has been at that exact area of the island. My DH and DD nearly missed the plane in May 2015 because of dropping something off in that area and being stuck in terrible traffic.

Also its not the local women driving like maniacs as you say that scare me but instead it is the young men on motorcycles cutting in and out of traffic that i have seen cause accidents and near misses.

Drivers on St. Maarten/Martin - regardless of gender - are generally a fearsome lot - and the scariest are indeed the young macho types on motorcycles.

But back on topic: as a former motorcycle (and current motor scooter) rider I strongly recommend four wheels for getting around the island - much more comfortable (thanks to A/C) when stuck in traffic - as often happens - and more forgiving on the rough roads - and, especially for a day visitor off a cruise ship, only slightly more expensive than a scooter rental.

Drivers on St. Maarten/Martin - regardless of gender - are generally a fearsome lot - and the scariest are indeed the young macho types on motorcycles.

But back on topic: as a former motorcycle (and current motor scooter) rider I strongly recommend four wheels for getting around the island - much more comfortable (thanks to A/C) when stuck in traffic - as often happens - and more forgiving on the rough roads - and, especially for a day visitor off a cruise ship, only slightly more expensive than a scooter rental.

By 4 wheels you mean car, van ect and not ATV ( the nod for a/c may have been lost on some people)

• 3 weeks later...

Let me explain something to you people who never road a motorcycle or scooter before. A two wheel motorcycle is dangerous no mater where you are. Some of us don't care about the danger and do it anyway. I rented motorcycles in St martin many times and never had a problem, that does not mean it is safe. This is what I choose to do, I live may life. Don't listen to all these people that don't know what they are talking about, and shoot **** out of their mouths. It is a choose that you have to make. Life is dangerous.

Edited by tomahawk246

Let me explain something to you people who never road a motorcycle or scooter before. A two wheel motorcycle is dangerous no mater where you are. Some of us don't care about the danger and do it anyway. I rented motorcycles in St martin many times and never had a problem, that does not mean it is safe. This is what I choose to do, I live may life. Don't listen to all these people that don't know what they are talking about, and shoot **** out of their mouths. It is a choose that you have to make. Life is dangerous.

Yes life is dangerous especially when driving on the same road as the motorcycle/scooter riders in St. Maarten and at least if you are the one in the car you will be the one that walks away from an accident.

One thing is for sure - absolutely no one should rent or drive a scooter or motorcycle on St Martin (or any island but St Martin would surely be one of the worst) unless they are very experienced at driving a scooter or motorcycle at home. Never.

And, Karysa, I laughed at same line.