.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Ho Hum,

While first registering on C.C. , I was trying to think of a real catchy name that would best describe how I feel about our back woods , igloo living, syrop sapping, snow shoeing winters....but realized you had already taking the name!! LOL

So, I settled on Kathyanddanny ( hubby and I ). :D slick! I know EH!? lol

Not sure where I read the advert for cruising with the owner? But the feeling has passed so....thanks for the update on what it would be like.

Still enjoying our Sandals visits, they are usually great resorts ( have not been to all ) but enough to know the product and they are couples only! Big bonus for us as we are done raising our children and don't want to babysit others while on vacation.

We are now hoping to split our vacation time between St.Lucia which is like our second home and being on Seadream or similar....( better not let hubby retire yet! ) it's very informative to read through your idle chats, very much looking forward to meeting you and your wife on the feb sail. :)

Kathy. From backwoods Montreal!...

P.s. Ho Hum,

So sorry to hear about your friends passing.

Was just born in "63" however remember listening to Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce among others during the 60's and 70's as all of my 9 older brothers and sisters listened to their music. Jimmy Hendrix, Joplin...etc... An Amazing era in music.

Kathy.

P.s. Ho Hum,

So sorry to hear about your friends passing.

Was just born in "63" however remember listening to Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce among others during the 60's and 70's as all of my 9 older brothers and sisters listened to their music. Jimmy Hendrix, Joplin...etc... An Amazing era in music.

Kathy.

9 older brothers and sisters !

And thanks for your words, Kathy.

And you are right: what an era for music.

Ho hum's first record was "All along the watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix written by Bob Dylan and do you know it is STILL one of ho hum's top three records retaining the ability to stop you "in your tracks" and raise the hairs on your arms.

There have been many explanations of this song and "Stairway to Heaven" but the song and words simply transcend rationality .......

I would imagine Ho that you would be a Yes fan too. Back in the early 80's (the decade, not ol' Ragnars 80s) I lined up the inner jacket from Tormato with a topo map of Dartmoor and trekked from London by train, bus, and foot to and through Dartmoor to the top of Yes Tor. 'Twas a perfect, blustery day. There I sat and listened to Yessongs on my walkman. I suspect you understand.

Well here we all are and regular ship life rolls out with the usual:

- Walk a Mile (no siree)

- Yoga

- Ta Chi

- Longest Golf Drive

- Shrimp Tempura & Pink Lemonade Pass-around (no its champagne time)

- explanation of blackjack ("a fool and his money are easily parted", so it perfectly suits ho hum)

- lecture "The CSI Phenomenon" (taking a nap)

- Trivia (maybe; but probably not)

- Walk a Mile (no way)

- Captain's Welcome

- Disco (it never happened)

Well the reason why our Captain went for his shoreside "appointment" was because he was consulting a doctor !

The poor man has twisted or strained his knee during a run and the healing process was taking too long and so after an examination by the ship's doctor it was decided he should receive treatment in Europe once the replacement Captain arrives in Madeira.

The replacement Captain (Steinar) has only been relieved a week earlier !

What bad luck for the both of them !

Well the weather today has been beautiful.

A leisurely morning followed by a leisurely lunch.

Then nap for ho hum.

New plus points:

- quaffing rose onboard

- lovely new bottoms to pyjamas (tartan style)

- new guy (Alvin ?) in charge of soup is doing an amazing job. SD could never do Asian soups but the one last night was sublime. Must remember him at Guest Comment Card.

- Mr.Trouble is now Mr.Charming

- Goran is back. This deserves a post entirely dedicated to him. Simply in a class of his own.

Oh no points:

- the quaffing rose had over a 300% mark up ! Ridiculous

- soot from funnel AGAIN ! Trousers after first night returned for free laundry

- Mr.Trouble's friend (who is now Mr.Charming's friend) has the grumps. Not happy at Trivia and suspects our chums group of cheating (knowing them, he is probably right)

Other passengers:

- lovely American couple (wwhswb): he wore jacket and TIE last night. Great to see form is respected for Captain. She is a charming lady often favours glorious, flowing, colourfully patterned kaftans (suspect she may read CC so err on side of flattery)

- St.Bart & English Channel Island couple: very friendly and we surmise ( probably wrongly) they are in the cruising industry !

- the lecturer and Mrs.Lecturer

- a tall academic looking gentleman who ho hum assumed was the lecturer and greeted him thus. He and his wife have been travelling around Europe for three weeks and they were looking forward to a rest

- hip couple from the British Virgin Isles (neighbours of our injured Captain)

- mysterious lady

- Mrs.Pucchi (think thats the way her dress designer is written) and smart husband

- nice bubbly lady who ho hum always meets at doorways and then never again

Do you have any questions of ho hum about the crossing, life, the universe, meaning of it all, opinion who will win the English Premier League ? (Chelsea by the way).

Feel free to ask and if ho hum doesnt know, then there is probably someone out there with an answer (usually goes by the name of Jim).

I would imagine Ho that you would be a Yes fan too. Back in the early 80's (the decade, not ol' Ragnars 80s) I lined up the inner jacket from Tormato with a topo map of Dartmoor and trekked from London by train, bus, and foot to and through Dartmoor to the top of Yes Tor. 'Twas a perfect, blustery day. There I sat and listened to Yessongs on my walkman. I suspect you understand.

Haha, hh and ragnar writing at the same time on opposite sides of the world! Synchronicity Too.

Yes writing at same time as one another !

Now Ragnar, ho was not a Yes fan (nor Genesis fan for that matter either) these were favoured by the bright academic kids (which ho was certainly not even though ho later loved metaphysics, quantum physics et all).

No ho was (and still is) into early Pink Floyd, The Who, The Small Faces, Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens etc.....

But Yes was formed in 1968 ....... so how is the reference made to the 80's ?

Was that when you discovered Yes or was it before and you listened to Yes in Dartmoor ?

Were you on your way to Glastonbury per chance ?

And ho thought you would have been into the Beach Boys, being a surfer dude you .......

Ho knows Charlie is a huge fan of "The Boss".

And Jim loves Gene Autry and Trigger (his horse).

Gcmv, Kraftwerk.

Poppy, early Rod Stewart, Marc Bolan, David Bowie (Ziggie Stardust), Bay City Rollers

Landman, Midnight Oil

Commander, Toni Bennet

Abenaki, Battlin' Banjo Boys of the "Settlement"

AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT ?

For those not familiar with the term "Tor", it is a Rocky hill or peak in SWEngland.

Well regular ship life rolls out with the usual, as described yesterday except today we are treated to a lecture on musicals.

Ho hum asks Abenaki how it went and he says he doesn't know, he was asleep except for the last ten minutes ! No reflection on the lecturer ho hum is sure.

Again, the weather today has been beautiful.

We docked into Funchal, Madeira round noon and Steinar ambled up on board greeted by his crew and grinning at the sheer bad luck of returning in less than a week. We like Steinar.

A little later we poodle off around town: still quite busy for this time of year.

It is pedestrianised for large parts of it which is a very pleasant experience.

The area was littered with all kinds of itinerant peddlers, destitute men and women with boards detailing their various aspects of bad luck in life, some with a number of missing limbs, a lady who sat still for a long time (ho suggested blondie try it out whilst keeping quiet: a slap ensued !). There was a man with a cycle showing how he had ridden all around the world and was sat on a nearby bench with his foot bandaged but the best one was a shortish, plump man holding a handbag who was practically bald except for side tuffs of long protruding hair dressed in a floral gown and standing at a bus stop !

Well he did'nt make a great job in the cross dressing department: ho hum's no expert but the shoes certainly did not match the handbag !

New plus points:

- piano player is new to ho hum and is an improvement only one bum note in fifty: down from one bum note in ten (or up depending on your perspective) and can put a good medley together

- they are working on the soot from the funnel

Oh no points:

- the piano player plays with a laptop perched on top of the piano thus obscuring his face except for a head of hair. Turn the piano angled sideways on so we can see his face.

- they did'nt close the vents off serving the air-con system so several cabins now have soot IN the cabins AND they do this every time (when they are varnishing wood which leads to fumes within the cabins)

- there was no advance communication of this work and the likelihood of possible problems neither apology for damage done

Other passengers:

- Aussie couple living in Arizona on a witness protection programme probably: he looks very shifty in a George Clooney kind of way. In fact we chatted a while, a CC fan but thought ho hum was obviously writing out of a captive cell for the criminally insane ! Damn cheek !

- lovely American couple; the lady used to favour smocks/kaftans which we ignorantly thought were called burqas (they are not) so we call her Mrs.Burqa.

- an interesting fact about one of the guests: he used to be a stuntman and did all the stunts for a character in the A team (popular American TV series) all ho can say he was'nt doing stunt work for Mr.T !

- nice chat with Beignet Boy around mid-morning. Mrs.BB in piano bar last night: she was amazing !

Ho hum is so pleased y'all are all boned up on the crossing, life, the universe, meaning of it all, opinion who will win the English Premier League and have no questions.

What a clever bunch you are ....... one question ho has, "if you are so clever what are you doing reading this drivel ?"

Great fun awaits us to tonight: we eat with Fabian, the Provisions Master. Always hugely entertaining !

And it was ! Now the crossing starts for real !

Do you have any questions of ho hum about the crossing, life, the universe, meaning of it all, opinion who will win the English Premier League ? (Chelsea by the way).

Feel free to ask and if ho hum doesnt know, then there is probably someone out there with an answer (usually goes by the name of Jim).

First of all, dearest ho-hum, many thanks for the detailed posts of the specials on board this Xing and the restaurant tips of Lisbon.

But gcmv (who is a KRAFTWERK-fan, too :)) has some questions and needs some explanations of ho-hum:

English Premier League - is this the league where Phil Taylor "plays" and all the well-behaved English supporters sit at their tables wearing nice, elegant clothing and have nothing to drink in their glasses?:D

What is a "quaffing rose"?

What shortcut does "wwhswb" stand for???

What do you think about this accomodation - perhaps ho-hum and blondie want to join gcmv and Frau gcmv in June 2015? http://www.torelpalace.com/en

BAY CITY ROLLERS!!! :eek: oh how I laughed HoHum.

Poppy's first single was from Santa in 1970? I think. It came with a lovely red plastic record player to play it on. Remember, if you lifted the arm of the record player up, it went onto repeat! The single was 'Two Little Boys' by Rolf Harris. P would play it over and over again.

So back to the BCR's. Although P didn't like the BCR's for some reason she bought a pair of their tartan trousers at the jumble sale for 2p. Haven't a clue why, maybe felt she wanted to be in with the 'in crowd' at the time. Anyway, she brought them home, showed them to Dot (mother) who was horrified. Dot then chucked them into the range and burned them once P went to bed. She replaced them with a pair of the most revolting 'turn ups'.

Oh what memories HH.

Anyway, sounds like you're having a great time. I would love to see some foodie pics if that's possible. Cheers P x

Yes writing at same time as one another !

Now Ragnar, ho was not a Yes fan (nor Genesis fan for that matter either) these were favoured by the bright academic kids (which ho was certainly not even though ho later loved metaphysics, quantum physics et all).

No ho was (and still is) into early Pink Floyd, The Who, The Small Faces, Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens etc.....

But Yes was formed in 1968 ....... so how is the reference made to the 80's ?

Was that when you discovered Yes or was it before and you listened to Yes in Dartmoor ?

Were you on your way to Glastonbury per chance ?

And ho thought you would have been into the Beach Boys, being a surfer dude you .......

Ho knows Charlie is a huge fan of "The Boss".

And Jim loves Gene Autry and Trigger (his horse).

Gcmv, Kraftwerk.

Poppy, early Rod Stewart, Marc Bolan, David Bowie (Ziggie Stardust), Bay City Rollers

Landman, Midnight Oil

Commander, Toni Bennet

Abenaki, Battlin' Banjo Boys of the "Settlement"

AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT ?

For those not familiar with the term "Tor", it is a Rocky hill or peak in SWEngland.

Musically, a good rendition of "Back in the Saddle Again" can always move me but I am more of a Stones/Beatles/Who type with tendencies to Rod Stewart (crossed the Atlantic on QE2 with him once:eek:) and Jimmy Buffett. But then the old iPhone playlist has Michael Jackson and Michael Buble as well as a dusty compilation of Glenn Miller of all people. In all, totally confused musically. Probably relates to the fact I cannot carry a tune in a bucket. Do not choose me for a sing a long. It seems you are all having a very nice time (soot be dam*ed) and get along well. Not many photos on the SD website yet so you need to get out more. Blondie has made a couple of shots and, as usual, looks wonderful. Smooth seas and good times for all.

Catching up on this thread I saw some discussion re: Lisbon restaurants.

We absolutely loved Sacramento in the Chiado area. (Not sure if I can post the link on here but will try: http://www.sacramentodochiado.com/pt/). Due to time constrictions we only had lunch, but if we had had more time in Lisbon we would have gone back for dinner.

Portuguese/Spanish menu with a modern twist. One standout dish was their tasty Al Ajillo prawns, lightly sautéed in olive oil and garlic, and seasoned with cilantro and lemon. DH chose the grilled octopus which was also delicious and very tender. Wine choice was Vinho Verde Aveleda, and for desert, fresh fruit skewers dipped in rich dark chocolate. We are not "foodies" per se, but do appreciate a well prepared, inventive, and well executed meal and ours was definitely memorable.

Wonderful setting (18th century noble residence, the Valadares Palace), personable and engaging service, and excellent cuisine. Highly recommend!

image.jpg.b0f3542574f80f3ffe8025fb011ba540.jpg

First of all, dearest ho-hum, many thanks for the detailed posts of the specials on board this Xing and the restaurant tips of Lisbon.

But gcmv (who is a KRAFTWERK-fan, too :)) has some questions and needs some explanations of ho-hum:

English Premier League - is this the league where Phil Taylor "plays" and all the well-behaved English supporters sit at their tables wearing nice, elegant clothing and have nothing to drink in their glasses?:D

What is a "quaffing rose"?

What shortcut does "wwhswb" stand for???

What do you think about this accomodation - perhaps ho-hum and blondie want to join gcmv and Frau gcmv in June 2015? http://www.torelpalace.com/en

Pleased to be of assistance gcmv.

CDreamer's hotel recommendation aeems very helpful too.

English Premier League is football.

"Quaffing" is "glugging": liberal measures of wine consumption especially at al fresco lunches. You quaff or glug roses but sip Montrachet's.

WWHSWB: whom we have sailed with before

Yes, beautiful (Torel Palace) but home for June.

Love to frau gcmv.

BAY CITY ROLLERS!!! :eek: oh how I laughed HoHum.

Poppy's first single was from Santa in 1970? I think. It came with a lovely red plastic record player to play it on. Remember, if you lifted the arm of the record player up, it went onto repeat! The single was 'Two Little Boys' by Rolf Harris. P would play it over and over again.

So back to the BCR's. Although P didn't like the BCR's for some reason she bought a pair of their tartan trousers at the jumble sale for 2p. Haven't a clue why, maybe felt she wanted to be in with the 'in crowd' at the time. Anyway, she brought them home, showed them to Dot (mother) who was horrified. Dot then chucked them into the range and burned them once P went to bed. She replaced them with a pair of the most revolting 'turn ups'.

Oh what memories HH.

Anyway, sounds like you're having a great time. I would love to see some foodie pics if that's possible. Cheers P x

In the name of God NOT Rolf Harris !!!!

What a wicked Mum !

Darling ho hum cant do photos of food because if you have ever tried sending them on this website, you would know that it is infernally difficult to do. Yes ho did it once but that was by luck: normally you can only send one.

So solly ......."two little boys" ........ huh ! (Margaret Thatcher's favourite song).

Musically, a good rendition of "Back in the Saddle Again" can always move me but I am more of a Stones/Beatles/Who type with tendencies to Rod Stewart (crossed the Atlantic on QE2 with him once:eek:) and Jimmy Buffett. But then the old iPhone playlist has Michael Jackson and Michael Buble as well as a dusty compilation of Glenn Miller of all people. In all, totally confused musically. Probably relates to the fact I cannot carry a tune in a bucket. Do not choose me for a sing a long. It seems you are all having a very nice time (soot be dam*ed) and get along well. Not many photos on the SD website yet so you need to get out more. Blondie has made a couple of shots and, as usual, looks wonderful. Smooth seas and good times for all.

You surprise ho hum, Jim, with your musical choices. Very similar.

Yes the photos are pretty low in number and Josh the Club Director seems to arrange quite a few sideways !

Does he ever check the composition !

We have to sign a waiver now to allow photos on the blog and as several are on witness protection programmes, ex-military dictators, are on the "dole" (receiving financial assistancefrom the UK government) for various feigned disabilities, are super-rich and the like: they have asked not to be included thus resulting in a near deserted ship with the same faces sandwiched between shots of food, crew and sea conditions: which has quite a swell actually Jim.

Catching up on this thread I saw some discussion re: Lisbon restaurants.

We absolutely loved Sacramento in the Chiado area. (Not sure if I can post the link on here but will try: http://www.sacramentodochiado.com/pt/). Due to time constrictions we only had lunch, but if we had had more time in Lisbon we would have gone back for dinner.

Portuguese/Spanish menu with a modern twist. One standout dish was their tasty Al Ajillo prawns, lightly sautéed in olive oil and garlic, and seasoned with cilantro and lemon. DH chose the grilled octopus which was also delicious and very tender. Wine choice was Vinho Verde Aveleda, and for desert, fresh fruit skewers dipped in rich dark chocolate. We are not "foodies" per se, but do appreciate a well prepared, inventive, and well executed meal and ours was definitely memorable.

Wonderful setting (18th century noble residence, the Valadares Palace), personable and engaging service, and excellent cuisine. Highly recommend!

Most useful: much appreciated old chap.

Obviously a person of refinement and discernment.

Despite Captain Lund's pronouncement that sea conditions and weather would be set fair for the entire voyage, we are nevertheless experiencing overcast and windy mornings and must don fleeces and the sea conditions are proving a little challenging for some.

And yet by mid-morning, those that are not attending lectures, are assembled on the top deck enjoying the sun.

Our happy compadres assemble on a large table capable of accommodating the 12 of us at lunchtime.

Let ho hum make it clear we do not consider ourselves a GROUP.

Oh no !

We are a collection of individuals who have made the acquaintance of one another on past SD voyages and mostly on crossings t'boot.

And most have visited one another's houses or are planning to or planning villa stays with one another.

We do our own thing in the morning for breakfast and separate into 3/4 smaller gatherings.

Lunch is a bigger ensemble, which is repeated at cocktails then we split into two (sometimes neighbouring tables) and then partially re-congregate after dinner.

And we are inclusive of others, naturally.

Our bonhomie nevertheless attracts incredulous and lingering stares from two ladies (not together) aghast at the noise emanating from our direction !

Not an uncommon reaction whenever ho hum is around but a tad unfair on our more restrained and quiet band of brothers.

We plot ways to ingratiate ourselves to them but apathy and a sense of a foredoomed (is that a word ?) result in no action being taken.

Noise levels were at very high levels at lunch yesterday when the Sommelier and Waiter tipped iced water from the ice bucket over ho hum ! It was great fun and demonstrates the involvement of the crew in the atmosphere.

New plus points:

- extensive work to the engine room is being undertaken. Ho hum takes this as a plus point as it indicates responsible maintenance by the Owner and company (it also allows ho hum to say something positive about the Owner and management too: a rare occurrence these days).

- ho hum's "stinging" complaint to Oslo about UPGRADES was swiftly responded to. But ho hum is not minded to open the email (want to relax).

- nothing on the lunchtime menu grabbed ho hum: a quick chat with Chef Tomasz and voila an alternative meal was provided as requested by ho hum. He even handed ho hum the phone to call the galley to place the order: how cool is that ?

Oh no points:

None everything is "tickety-boo" (GCMV it is an old English expression meaning everything is fine).

Other passengers:

- the musical lecturer and Mrs. from America

- disdaining lady and grey husband

Most useful: much appreciated old chap.

Obviously a person of refinement and discernment.

Ha! Well, not sure those who know this 'Chap-ette' would describe me as "refined," but I do love trying local places when we travel and this restaurant in Lisbon was definitely a winner.

Enjoying your "live action" reporting from the ship as usual, Ho Hum. Sounds like a good time is being had by all so far..... Except for maybe the 2 scowling women who don't like the volume turned up at your table! :eek::D

Well ho hum received a very prompt reply from Oslo concerning upgrades.

It seems you NOW have to notify (by email) the SD: Reservations Department of your wish to receive email notifications of upgrades and savings on future voyages that you are booked on.

SD will either notify you directly if you booked directly with them or through your appointed travel agent (assuming they pass it on, of course).

You must also notify your travel agent that your wish to be forwarded details of savings and upgrades sent by SD to your appointed travel agent.

Phew !

Your humble servant.

Of course chatting to other guests, not one person had notified SD or their agent in advance to qualify for notification of upgrades.

Let it go, ho hum.

Ho hum has penned a few lines for you to copy and forward to SD.

"FAO: Sea Dream Reservations Department

Kindly note our names and contact details in order to receive future notice of upgrades, savings and incentives for both future voyages we are booked on any other voyages we are not booked on.

We have notified our travel agents (copied in above) to pass on all such incentives and promotions to us.

Kindly register with immediate effect and acknowledge both receipt and adoption of instructions".

Then simply copy in your TA and send.

Why dont SD simply email promotions etc.. to everyone ?

It's nearly 7 months ago that SD introduced the appointment of a person in Oslo wholly responsible for Club Members.

A great idea but

What on earth has happened since ?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Or is it just ho hum ?

Are there yet another group of emails that ho hum and blondie ere also excluded from ?

"Let ho hum make it clear we do not consider ourselves a GROUP."

1 group noun, often attributive \ˈgrüp\

: a number of people or things that are together or in the same place

: a number of people who are connected by some shared activity, interest, or quality

SD definition.

Group - a number of people booking under one travel agent with an association together independent of SD.