.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Only joking.....

Of course you were!! LOL. As a nice Irish girl, I'd like to give you some advice if I may? Grad yourself a couple fingers of Jamison's and smile sweetly!... Thats what Me Pa always said...lol. :) however, Soot! Is a problem I have no advice for?? Yikes! Just hope its all cleared up for our cruise in February? We have friends coming onboard Seadream for the first time!! :eek:

Kathy.

Regarding Hh:

The police often question him just because they find him interesting

His blood smells like cologne

His mother has a tattoo that reads son

He can speak Spanish in Russian

His reputation is expanding faster than the universe

He lives vicariously through himself

Regardless of temperature you can never see his breath

He has never relied on mistletoe

He is the reason those nine ladies are dancing

He can identify UFOs

The Aztec calendar has his Cinco de Mayo party chiseled on it

His piñatas fight back

His guacamole inspired the term ‘holy guacamole’

He has never filled up on chips

He is the life of parties he has never attended

Sharks have a week dedicated to him

He once challenged his own reflection to a staring contest – on the fourth day he won

At museums he is allowed to touch the art

He’s won trophies for his game face alone

He can make orange juice out of apples

He is the only person to ever find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow

He once went to a psychic… to warn her

Aliens have asked him to probe them

Only he knows why the mariachi band never stops smiling

Presidents celebrate his birthday

He has written piano concertos on the Ukelele

His pronunciation is impeccable, even under water

His tailgate parties have been known to cause game delays

It has never been his bad

He gave his father “the talk”

In a past life he was himself

If opportunity knocks and he’s not home, opportunity waits

His morning breath has notes of saffron and a hint of lilac

His shadow frequently appears on multiple best dressed lists

On multiple occasions, he has vouched for himself

When he holds a woman’s purse, he looks intimidating

He can play Chopin on the drums

Eskimos have seven different words to describe his beard.

Even his nod sounds like a plan

He can steal thunder’s thunder

He once ran a marathon because it was on his way

Sasquatch has taken a photograph of him

His small talk has altered foreign policy

He has once parallel parked a train

His two cents is worth $37 and change

Haha.........if only one line were true !

Haha.........if only one line were true !

Judigng by the exponential growth of the thread views, this one, at least, is true:

In fact, if you look carefully at the COBE data, you can see "Ho-hum" spelled out in the pattern of the fluctuations of the cosmic background radiation.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Judigng by the exponential growth of the thread views, this one, at least, is true:

In fact, if you look carefully at the COBE data, you can see "Ho-hum" spelled out in the pattern of the fluctuations of the cosmic background radiation.

In the early days of this "bit of nonsense" ho hum was thought to imbibe in all sorts of substances to come up with this "crazy stuff" and ho would answer twas just life that set off these jottings albeit filtered through an odd psyche (and maybe with the benefit of hum's association with French friends from Chateau Lafite or his Scottish friend Johnny Walker ........ ).

Well however it began: it seems strangely alluring to some others resulting in similarly delightfully afflictions being experienced elsewhere too.

This "disease" has spread to others which ho would re-cast as "Great Ease".

"Great Ease" sees life's panoply of passing scenes as just those but from a presence of aliveness. Yes it appears that there is greater involvement and there is, which you would thought would have been otherwise (well that "happens" too when alone).

And now there is some vindication that this perspective resonates with others; they know not why.

Culminating in a response from you dear Ragnar that leads ho hum to enquire of Ragnar:

"Just what are you on man ?"

Immediately followed up with a supplementary point:

"Whatever it is, it is damn good"

And

"Can ho have some ?"

How you have weaved in kindness, joy and perspective from a universal perspective with echoes of Genesis is sheer brilliance or indicates just as deep a connection to the apparent far reaches of the universe to the immediacy of this life bursting, overflowing, eternal PRESENT !

Ho hum's critique of Genesis is that it implies "time" and within "presence" there is no such entity. And so we immediately become fatally alienated until one day, it appears we re-discover our actuality (death does the self-same thing).

One of hum's favourite songs is Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock". It seems to encapsulate in a modern pilgrimage the universal perspective we sometimes stray into from our habitual way of life (and that is equally fine too, if a little one dimensional. Duality being one dimensional ! How clever you are ho hum. Haha).

And this should be sung guys, you know the tune so there is no excuse.

No it doesnt have to be sung out loud......just you to YOU (small self to real self).

Joni Mitchell – Woodstock Lyrics

I came upon a child of God

He was walking along the road

And I asked him, where are you going

And this he told me

I'm going on down to Yasgur's farm

I'm going to join in a rock 'n' roll band

I'm going to camp out on the land

I'm going to try an' get my soul free

We are stardust

We are golden

And we've got to get ourselves

Back to the garden

Then can I walk beside you

I have come here to lose the smog

And I feel to be a cog in something turning

Well maybe it is just the time of year

Or maybe it's the time of man

I don't know who l am

But you know life is for learning

We are stardust

We are golden

Back to the garden

By the time we got to Woodstock

We were half a million strong

And everywhere there was song and celebration

And I dreamed I saw the bombers

Riding shotgun in the sky

And they were turning into butterflies

Above our nation

We are stardust

Billion year old carbon

We are golden

Caught in the devil's bargain

Back to the garden

So Ragnar, you are right, well right-ish, all our original names are echoes in the potential universe that is truly who we are.....but there is no one seeing this.

We are just that. When you introduce a witness seeing that, duality begins which is illusion actually......YES ? The "sound of one hand clapping" and all that.

And maybe all of this could simply be due to the varnish fumes slowly leaking through the air-conditioning vents from where extensive maintenance is being carried out on the ship.....the vents certainly dont pump out cold, refreshing air......."a gnat's fart" is how one of our chums describes it...very accurate and very funny.

And these jottings can similarly be summarised as equal to a literary "gnats fart" !

Oh and as ho finishes this ...?. there is a beautiful sunrise from the cabin bed ....... See look.

We are together in this moment ...... You and simple hum.......

image.jpg.a8b50d544ad97e6b4f2b5e107ce5ed16.jpg

But remember, he does not have a street in Arizona named for himself as does Ho-Hum.

Haha Jim.

Your funny and kind words last night were just what hum needed.

Even penned a reply and then accidentally "wiped it".

Oh hum had an awful night last !

Fatigued from the lack of air-conditioning, the smells from the rear end of the ship which lriginated from the REAR END OF THE PASSENGERS !

The varnish fumes.

Oh and hearing loss as well as a trappd nerve in the shoulder which blondie insists is due to gout and yes which she also insists is due to imbibing too much !

So in pain and it's all hum's fault !

The perfect storm !

Hum can remember the opening line though.

"Does Ho Hum Avenue lead to the Municipal Dump !!"

Because that's how hum was feeling.

As you can see from the last post, hum's spirit and shoulder have improved but hearing is bad still ......... mqybe some advantage even with that.

Wont have to hear "The Commander's" complaints about hum's postings ....... Yes every morning at breakfast with him......Lord have mercy !

Haha Jim.

Your funny and kind words last night were just what hum needed.

Even penned a reply and then accidentally "wiped it".

Oh hum had an awful night last !

Fatigued from the lack of air-conditioning, the smells from the rear end of the ship which lriginated from the REAR END OF THE PASSENGERS !

The varnish fumes.

Oh and hearing loss as well as a trappd nerve in the shoulder which blondie insists is due to gout and yes which she also insists is due to imbibing too much !

So in pain and it's all hum's fault !

The perfect storm !

Hum can remember the opening line though.

"Does Ho Hum Avenue lead to the Municipal Dump !!"

Because that's how hum was feeling.

As you can see from the last post, hum's spirit and shoulder have improved but hearing is bad still ......... mqybe some advantage even with that.

Wont have to hear "The Commander's" complaints about hum's postings ....... Yes every morning at breakfast with him......Lord have mercy !

To steal a line from Past Prez Bill Clinton: I feel your pain. As a fellow sufferer of the ancient curse of imbibers, I never travel without my Colchicine. Works wonders with the gouty penance for all the Eggs Benedict, caviar, J Daniel's etc. usually found at sea. I hope the good Doctor on board will ease your pain.

A quick question for Mr. Hum. After seeing the latest pictures of the crossing, just how many suitcases did you and the Missus require for this voyage??:eek::D

Really Jim, what a silly question !

How would we know ?

Our butler Abenaki and maid Molly take care of these details !

One of the real disadvantages, indeed veritable annoyances that ho hum has experienced when others know ho hum is onboard is that they come up to you with complaints about what you jotted that morning or if, occasionally, you dont post before the commencement of THEIR accustomed daily routine.

God help us !

"It quite upset my day hum, I just wanted to let you know that !"

And there are other complaints:

"God, you really go on sometimes dont you"

"You're all over the damn place this morning could'nt follow any of it"

"Its becoming far too sensible"

"Its nonsense, drivel .... write something people are really interested in"

"Is this really what you do all day"

"Are hallucinogenic drugs freely available in your country"

"There are scientific studies leading to the conclusion that pot smoking leads to senility, I did'nt know whether it was true but reading your stuff, I am wholly convinced of it now" (Ho hum is not a pot smoker by the way).

Ho's breakfast dining companion every morning; "The Commander" has become increasingly crotchety "Did'nt receive your posting hum this morning; its just not on, not on at all"

Ho hum feels like replying "Well at least it appears you received your regular fresh issue of "Irascible Old Fart !""

Ho hum's posted this a lot earlier so the old fool does'nt see it at his usual allotted time after his ablutions, hoping it will be buried in other pistings (no spell checker, ho hum will leave it un-corrected "pistings" ! Quite appropriate really and for added effect say it in a French accent "pistings" haha. ("Allo allo style")).

And if he does wander into this section, then just joking.......... !!!!! (Truly he is the greatest travelling companion ........ Or should that read "was" the greatest travelling companion !)

A quick question for Mr. Hum. After seeing the latest pictures of the crossing, just how many suitcases did you and the Missus require for this voyage??:eek::D

Gcmv thinks, no more than one and can explain this:

Ho-hum wears the same pale, uninteresting shirt day by day (every night the shirt is complimentary cleaned by SD because of soot:D).

Blondie always wears charming, light and sheer dresses - in Germany we define this as "a touch of nothingness".;)

You don't need very much space in your suitcase to transport this "fragile freight" ... :)

Well as reported earlier about conditions onboard SD2 (before a certain gentleman began the deviation off course and now criticises others for following ! Cheek of it ! Haha).

Hum would like to give you an update.

We are making an un-scheduled stop at Phillipsburg, St.Martin.

Why ?

Parts. We will be arriving around noon and leaving at 9.30pm.

Everybody presumes the parts are for the air-con system. It remains hot onboard but at least we have a fan in our cabin. All meals and cocktails are outside now ...... just too hot in main Salon and Dining Salon.

Just one point hum and blondie would like to make. The burden to affect all the repairs onboard lay with the Chief Engineer. He is a man of extreme competence and diligence who has been working tremendously hard under near i possible circumstances. Nobody we have spoken to can find any fault with him, in fact the opposite is true. We admire him tremendously and have supreme confidence in his ability.

image.jpg.6531a4906de5b7d60c659956f1057344.jpg

Little did I expect on arising this AM that the subject of my "ablutions" would

be fodder Ho-Hums "Morning Edition". Is nothing sacred any more? Can't a

man expect some privacy within the confines of his toilette, away from the

prying eyes of this deranged but intrepid reporter ... clearly not.

And I, from the backwoods, was just getting use to the joys of indoor

plumbing.

We have installed CATV cameras and land mines around our "suite" (emphasis

added) and will obtain a court injunction to keep this stalker away from my

"privates" domain. Where is Betty Ford when she could provide such a

valuable assist to a man so desperately wanting that he has breached generally

accepted levels of civility.

I was touched, however, by his gracious praise of our traveling compatibility

The feeling is mutual, i assure you.

Endorsement_mode = on;

When in Phillipsburg, stop by Goldfingers and say hi to the guys behind the counter. They helped us out of a real jam one time, and they are really nice. And they have great prices on fine watches to boot! We have bought several there, as Mrs D has encyclopedic knowledge of the prices of all goods, and declared their watch prices "really good", which is high praise from her. In fact, on a 10 day Regent cruise we bought two watches there and saved MORE than the cost of the cruise over Los Angeles area prices, even including the duty that we patriotically paid.

Endorsement_mode = off;

Endorsement_mode = on;

When in Phillipsburg, stop by Goldfingers and say hi to the guys behind the counter. They helped us out of a real jam one time, and they are really nice. And they have great prices on fine watches to boot! We have bought several there, as Mrs D has encyclopedic knowledge of the prices of all goods, and declared their watch prices "really good", which is high praise from her. In fact, on a 10 day Regent cruise we bought two watches there and saved MORE than the cost of the cruise over Los Angeles area prices, even including the duty that we patriotically paid.

Endorsement_mode = off;

Very much appreciated old chap.

Hum never wears a watch tho ......... and weather was so bad ..... Hell it rained !

But your advice was passed on to a few chums who did venture out ... they returned completely soaked thru'.

By the way, got it completely wrong about reason for stop.

One of the outside contractors onboard, fixing the air-con had become ill.

He was checked into hospital for tests.

So no parts were collected and the misery of extremely poor air-conditioning continues ....... with all the other problems onboard, this has become the worst voyage ever in terms of faults and yet the passengers are a happy lot and complain very little.

Quite how virgin SD'ers would respond is questionable tho'.

We have been poorly treated this time ...... yes the regulars expect some maintenance but this ..... !

It is chartered next week .... if hum was chartering SD, Hum would sue.

And if anyone out there is sailing on SD in the next month, then check with SD or thro' your TA that repairs have been made.

Little did I expect on arising this AM that the subject of my "ablutions" would

be fodder Ho-Hums "Morning Edition". Is nothing sacred any more? Can't a

man expect some privacy within the confines of his toilette, away from the

prying eyes of this deranged but intrepid reporter ... clearly not.

And I, from the backwoods, was just getting use to the joys of indoor

plumbing.

We have installed CATV cameras and land mines around our "suite" (emphasis

added) and will obtain a court injunction to keep this stalker away from my

"privates" domain. Where is Betty Ford when she could provide such a

valuable assist to a man so desperately wanting that he has breached generally

accepted levels of civility.

I was touched, however, by his gracious praise of our traveling compatibility

The feeling is mutual, i assure you.

Methinks "The Commander" may be a tad unclear on the definition of "ablutions". It is from the Latin words "ab" to wash and "luere" away. Hum cant help it if in the back woods it is a term infrequently used and if it has become so corrupted to include ALL bathroom actvities !

Or is this a way to demonstrate that an indoor toilet previously existed in the cabin.

Suffice to say he is perfectly washed, groomed and dressed for each and every occasion onboard and is by far the best dressed man onboard.

This is only paralleled by his exquisite manners and courtesy to others (except for one maybe but that is banter, pure and simple).

He is liked by all, passengers and crew alike and is a veritable example of "old fashioned values" but in a modern idiom (but trying to explain Facebook, let alone Twitter ! Oi vay ! Devil's inventions). He is one of the best examples of the benefits of travel and meeting people from different backgrounds. His stories are always presented modestly but completely daunt any achievements which hum considered valuable.

Flying a plane at 16: and solo !

He kindly invited a favoured crew member for dinner the other night who, despite a mountain of paperwork to complete for the un-scheduled visit to St.Maarten was nevertheless so eager to have dinner with him, at which we were cordially invited too.

He had purchased two bottles of a beautiful Sancerre and two Napa, Merlots (quite how much he thought we would drink or was it hum would drink was excessively assessed) for our great enjoyment. He then "positions" himself within the table banter and talk as an equal participant even though his life experience should really put him central and before all others.

To continue with this eulogy is bound to embarrass him and to others may consider this "off course from the gritty subject of cruise ship comparisons" but for ho hum and blondie it is complete vindication, if one were ever needed, for travelling in the first place ! Meeting this amazing fella.

Oh and the sense of humour .......... and as sharp as a pin.....and if hum does rib him it is wholly out of admiration, appreciation and respect.

Very much appreciated old chap.

Hum never wears a watch tho ......... and weather was so bad ..... Hell it rained !

But your advice was passed on to a few chums who did venture out ... they returned completely soaked thru'.

By the way, got it completely wrong about reason for stop.

One of the outside contractors onboard, fixing the air-con had become ill.

He was checked into hospital for tests.

So no parts were collected and the misery of extremely poor air-conditioning continues ....... with all the other problems onboard, this has become the worst voyage ever in terms of faults and yet the passengers are a happy lot and complain very little.

Quite how virgin SD'ers would respond is questionable tho'.

We have been poorly treated this time ...... yes the regulars expect some maintenance but this ..... !

It is chartered next week .... if hum was chartering SD, Hum would sue.

And if anyone out there is sailing on SD in the next month, then check with SD or thro' your TA that repairs have been made.

It is a shame that these very pretty little ships are being used up. The ever increasing issues with air conditioner, toilets, soot are simply a ship that has run basically continually for 30 years. Think of a Mercedes Benz S600 from 1984 that has been used continually as a taxi. Time for an overhaul. That would entail serious decisions to carry on into the future with SD and heavy capital expenditures. Patch fixes as they occur will inevitably lead to shutdown at some point. Sorry, but no shipping line in history has been able to avoid those hard choices.

As we come to the end of our ocean odyssey, i find myself flummoxed by

Ho-Hums kind eulogy on my behalf ... Is he talking about me? Am I dead?

I shall leave well enough alone, simply to echo the same about you my friend ...

a most kind and gracious gentleman whose company puts a smile on my

face and a laugh in my heart. Ditto for his beloved Blondie, whose vivacious

personality endears her to all, with the exception of but one couple with faces that seem mired in concrete.

Sad to bid adieu to newfound friends from Holland and Australia, in whose company we have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Hope we'll have a chance

to reprise the journey in the not too distant future, as it was great fun.

We say goodbye to SD II until early March when we connect again as we

cruise the beautiful islands in the Caribbean. In the meantime, we'll continue

follow the comings and goings of our favourite ships in this space.

Gcmv thinks, no more than one and can explain this:

Ho-hum wears the same pale, uninteresting shirt day by day (every night the shirt is complimentary cleaned by SD because of soot:D).

Blondie always wears charming, light and sheer dresses - in Germany we define this as "a touch of nothingness".;)

You don't need very much space in your suitcase to transport this "fragile freight" ... :)

You were saying gcmv ? Kindly refer to photo attached.

Un-interesting shirt !! Well really ! But how can anyone compare to your splendid shirts !!

Immaculately pressed colourful shirts with "snazzy" patterned cuffs and collars (inside) ! Quite the "dandy" !

How frau gcmv has been able to transform this "Volkswagen Beetle". of a man into a "Porsche Carrera" is astounding !

And this "touch of nothingness" you poetically refer to !

All hum can say is, it's not you that has to carry the numerous and heavy bags !

With new shoes every night ! Even Imelda Marcos would consider it excessive !

Love bantering with you gcmv.......haha.......

image.jpg.add27feac2cc9305bc7c7093f718be43.jpg

It is a shame that these very pretty little ships are being used up. The ever increasing issues with air conditioner, toilets, soot are simply a ship that has run basically continually for 30 years. Think of a Mercedes Benz S600 from 1984 that has been used continually as a taxi. Time for an overhaul. That would entail serious decisions to carry on into the future with SD and heavy capital expenditures. Patch fixes as they occur will inevitably lead to shutdown at some point. Sorry, but no shipping line in history has been able to avoid those hard choices.

AINT THAT THE TRUTH JIM !

Atle is the King Canute of the cruise industry.

What does that make us though ?