.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Miss Snooty Drawers (or Mrs maybe) and Mr Sniffy Pants! Love it. I've met so many Snooty and Sniffers I've built up a resistance and I'm now immune. Can't catch it. However we really should feel sorry for them as they have obviously have a condition called a 'personality Bypass'.

Ho Hum, have a look on the DM website. There's an article covering the funniest place names in the UK. Is the Posh Part on it?

I'd post a link however some are a bit rude but I think they're funny:D

The Ballad of the Wogglers Moulie

Well Poppy, you've really set ho hum off with your funny place name references.

Ho hum's reminded of the comic genius Kenneth Williams who, as a character called "Rambling Sid Rumpole" came up with so many "double entendre" songs (well it was actually written by Barry Fry and Took).

A link to one of his performances is attached below:

Greetings from the Balinese bed on SDI. After a rainy embarkation in Barbados, life is very good. We had a very nice day in Bequia today and are currently sailing to Dominica. Seas have calmed, drinks are flowing, and thankfully "It's Raining Men" has already been played. Cheers to all and let me know if you have any questions.

"Your mission should you wish to accept it is set out below.

Your ipad will self destruct in 10 seconds after reading it.

Any reference to ho hum will be denied"

Da da da da da didddloooo didloooo

And greetings to you too CKforensic.......sounds like we have the right man onboard.

Ho hum's guessing you boarded just recently (Saturday).

Ho hum also notices you have been affiliated to CC since 2003. 2 years after SD began. Wow !

Well with no further ado, ho hum is eager to enquire about the following:

1. Mechanical condition of vessel (any soot/thick black smoke from funnel, is air-conditioning working, is ice cream melted or not, anything else)

2. Condition of cabins

3. Your views regarding anything

4. Whats your itinerary

Ho hum guesses these are the main concerns.

Supplementary to that we would wish to pass on greetings and felicitations to:

- Silvio, please ask him what he was doing in Miami just recently and not just visiting a certain bar (did'nt know he was fond of owls)

- Gareth, please ask him if he thinks Liverpool will have ANY chance of playing European football (Europa League that is.....no probably not). From his friends who live near Crystal Palace.

- Laura, just send our best (probably wont know who we are)

The "Quote" button is now working; hope this does'nt impinge too much into your vacation but first hand reports from the vessels is absolutely wonderful.

Here in the UK, a story that has made the headlines between "Tiddles stuck up a tree" and "Kate, our sweet princess suffering fom morning sickness" and how wonderful Britain is, is the news story that the WHOLE of Americal is under 10'0" of snow from California to New York and Montana to Louisianna !

Shocking !

We know Americans have diverse weather, well if you will have such a large country, what do you expect ?

We never hear about weather in Canada which is almost the same size. There they have 10'0" of snow all year round. They essentially live in permanent snow drifts. Thats why the police are on horses and wear red uniforms so they can control the roughnecks in them there parts (yes they're called Mounties....no not Bounties, that's a chocolate covered coconut bar).

But ho hum is worrid about y'all. Hope you are all Ok over there, no seriously.

And will someone please look in on Jim. Maybe he is caught in a snow drift whilst out on the shooting range.

But seriously is everybody OK ?

Jim is OK. No snow for me. We are in the midst of a cross country road trip to Mum's house. She was due to fly to Arizona for a few weeks but had an "incident". Hence the road trip. Do not try to buy air tickets short notice for Thanksgiving week in the US. But we have seen sights heretofore unseen by us so it is interesting. The US is absolutely full of miles and miles of.......miles and miles. Casa de Avery in Arizona to Mom's Mansion in Birmingham, Alabama is 1,709 miles as the Mapquest flies.....One way. There will be a side trip to Tuscaloosa, Alabama where I spent many wonderful years at the University of Alabama learning the intricacies of drinking beer. Roll Tide!!! For those of you that do not understand that phrase, I feel truly sorry for you and will donate to the appropriate charities in your name. All is well and happy Thanksgiving to US SeaDreamers. Happy Thursday to the rest.:D

Just another perfect day in San Clemente (southern California). There are a few wispy high clouds out over the ocean, but it's a nice change from the normally perfectly blue skies and sparkly blue water. Temps though are in the mid 70s (24C), as usual.

What is snow?

In Arizona I think it is that cold mushy stuff you get in a frozen margarita.:eek::D

Thought margs were a southwest thing, glad to hear the rest of the country is getting into them.

Perfect marg, for you non-southwesterners:

2 jiggers Cuervo mix (yeah, I know, very commercial, but works well with other ingredients, have tried many others)

2 jiggers Sauza Hornitos tequila (just the right amount of agave flavor)

1/2 jigger Grande Marnier

Sqeeze of lime

Add all to shaker, throw in some ice, shake vigorously.

Salt rim of heavy crystal Old Fashioned glass, add several ice cubes.

Pour the liquid gold through the strainer to fill glass to 1/4 inch below the salt.

Garnish with lime wedge.

Sit back and enjoy the sunset :D

(Note: ladies tend to prefer the above to be modified to 3 jiggers of mix and a full jigger of Grand Marnier, at least until they have downed the first one...)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Thought margs were a southwest thing, glad to hear the rest of the country is getting into them.

2 jiggers Cuervo mix (yeah, I know, very commercial, but works well with other ingredients, have tried many others)

Sqeeze of lime

Hey, last I looked, Arizona was in the Southwest. Margaritas though, like the population from Margarita countries, has spread all over. Recently saw girls in a bar in NYC feasting on Margaritas.:eek::D

Pour the liquid gold through the strainer to fill glass to 1/4 inch below the salt.

Garnish with lime wedge.

(Note: ladies tend to prefer the above to be modified to 3 jiggers of mix and a full jigger of Grand Marnier, at least until they have downed the first one...)

Hey, last I looked, Arizona was in the Southwest. Margaritas though, like the population from Margarita countries, has spread all over. Recently saw girls in a bar in NYC feasting on Margaritas.:eek::D

Greetings Ho Hum,

I am happy to accept the mission and very happy to report that SDI is is in very good shape. More importantly, I can report that Gareth "has no idea what you are talking about...". ;-)

I have seen no evidence of soot issues on our voyage and the ship seems to be functioning quite well. It was a bit warm in our cabin the first night but has been cooler since then. However, we did request a fan to help with the white noise and cooling.

The seas did get a bit rough late last night as we approached Dominica with swells around 3 meters. The seas are nice now as we approach Iles des Saintes

"Your mission should you wish to accept it is set out below.

Your ipad will self destruct in 10 seconds after reading it.

Any reference to ho hum will be denied"

Da da da da da didddloooo didloooo

And greetings to you too CKforensic.......sounds like we have the right man onboard.

Ho hum's guessing you boarded just recently (Saturday).

Ho hum also notices you have been affiliated to CC since 2003. 2 years after SD began. Wow !

Well with no further ado, ho hum is eager to enquire about the following:

1. Mechanical condition of vessel (any soot/thick black smoke from funnel, is air-conditioning working, is ice cream melted or not, anything else)

2. Condition of cabins

3. Your views regarding anything

4. Whats your itinerary

Ho hum guesses these are the main concerns.

Supplementary to that we would wish to pass on greetings and felicitations to:

- Silvio, please ask him what he was doing in Miami just recently and not just visiting a certain bar (did'nt know he was fond of owls)

- Gareth, please ask him if he thinks Liverpool will have ANY chance of playing European football (Europa League that is.....no probably not). From his friends who live near Crystal Palace.

- Laura, just send our best (probably wont know who we are)

The "Quote" button is now working; hope this does'nt impinge too much into your vacation but first hand reports from the vessels is absolutely wonderful.

Greetings Ho Hum,

I am happy to accept the mission and very happy to report that SDI is is in very good shape. More importantly, I can report that Gareth "has no idea what you are talking about...". ;-)

I have seen no evidence of soot issues on our voyage and the ship seems to be functioning quite well. It was a bit warm in our cabin the first night but has been cooler since then. However, we did request a fan to help with the white noise and cooling.

The seas did get a bit rough late last night as we approached Dominica with swells around 3 meters. The seas are nice now as we approach Iles des Saintes

We are very grateful to you. It is good news indeed to hear condition of the vessel is top notch. Have a great remaining voyage.

Sqeeze of lime

Garnish with lime wedge.

Amazing stuff Raggy. Truly amazing. A thousand thankyous.

Jim is OK. No snow for me. We are in the midst of a cross country road trip to Mum's house. She was due to fly to Arizona for a few weeks but had an "incident". Hence the road trip. Do not try to buy air tickets short notice for Thanksgiving week in the US. But we have seen sights heretofore unseen by us so it is interesting. The US is absolutely full of miles and miles of.......miles and miles. Casa de Avery in Arizona to Mom's Mansion in Birmingham, Alabama is 1,709 miles as the Mapquest flies.....One way. There will be a side trip to Tuscaloosa, Alabama where I spent many wonderful years at the University of Alabama learning the intricacies of drinking beer. Roll Tide!!! For those of you that do not understand that phrase, I feel truly sorry for you and will donate to the appropriate charities in your name. All is well and happy Thanksgiving to US SeaDreamers. Happy Thursday to the rest.:D

Safe travels and we hope ma is "incident" free (hoping that is not being over familiar, dear chap)......

Whilst the UK has some funny place names, the US has some wonderful place names (Arizona, Tuscaloosa, Alabama). Are they Indian names ?.

Not too familiar at all. After all, we are "family" at SeaDream. You have said so yourself. Mum is much better. One of those age (89) glitches. Yes, Tuscaloosa and many other place names derive from the various tribal names. As you travel across this country, many names can be quite entertaining.

Edited by Jim Avery

"Amazing stuff Raggy. Truly amazing. A thousand thankyous."

A margarita seems like such a simple thing, but as in most things it is the details that matter. This recipie evolved over hundreds of trials, and real world testing at innumerable pool parties :D. But use caution, it is so smooth and refreshing it will knock the unsuspecting on their, ummm, bums.

Oh you know, ho hum loves winter; English winter.

No not British winter because the Scots winters are quite awful ...... may go to explain one or two things.

God they can be so miserable sometimes but they do produce whisky, so things kind of work out. And then when they drink too much, they get a bit larrey and argumentative. T'is true.

Ho hum has received his winter parcel of cheeses from Neals Yard, London.

Jim you would love this.

So here ho hum is opening his cheeses with some wine and port and biscuits awaiting.

The cheeses are:

- Montgomery's Cheddar (staple food of the farmer in the South-West of England. Eat with "Scrumpy": cider to you)

- Tunworth soft cheese (new one for ho hum, supposedly like a Camembert/Brie)

- Colston Bassett Stilton (best cheese in the world perfect accompaniment to Port).

Will be partaking with:

- Portillo Malbec from Argentina

- Taylor's vintage port 200 (bought a case of 12 en primeur at just £150.00; now worth five times that. Actually bought six cases, yes 72 bottles ! That should see ho hum home. A great year followed by an equally great year.)

- Scottish oat cakes

- next door neighbour's Apple & Cider Chutney, 2011, simply delicious

And what does this have to do with Sea Dream, ho hum ?

Simple.

The cheeses on Sea Dream are exceptional and such a range too !

Try them .... as good as any 5 star restaurant.

image.jpg.31236a7c21b12f9cf9b59b5d4ce265bc.jpg

"Amazing stuff Raggy. Truly amazing. A thousand thankyous."

A margarita seems like such a simple thing, but as in most things it is the details that matter. This recipie evolved over hundreds of trials, and real world testing at innumerable pool parties :D. But use caution, it is so smooth and refreshing it will knock the unsuspecting on their, ummm, bums.

To paraphrase a famous British commercial:

"Tequila reaches the synapses, no other spirit reach"

Tequila has a very strange effect on old ho hum ...... and if there's a full moon reflected on water !

Aaaiooowwwww !

To paraphrase a famous British commercial:

"Tequila reaches the synapses, no other spirit reach"

Tequila has a very strange effect on old ho hum ...... and if there's a full moon reflected on water !

Aaaiooowwwww !

It has been said that the mezcal plant from which tequila is distilled, has hallucinogenic properties. There have been occasions where I have had no cause to argue with that premise.

Oh you know, ho hum loves winter; English winter.

No not British winter because the Scots winters are quite awful ...... may go to explain one or two things.

God they can be so miserable sometimes but they do produce whisky, so things kind of work out. And then when they drink too much, they get a bit larrey and argumentative. T'is true.

Ho hum has received his winter parcel of cheeses from Neals Yard, London.

Jim you would love this.

So here ho hum is opening his cheeses with some wine and port and biscuits awaiting.

The cheeses are:

- Montgomery's Cheddar (staple food of the farmer in the South-West of England. Eat with "Scrumpy": cider to you)

- Tunworth soft cheese (new one for ho hum, supposedly like a Camembert/Brie)

- Colston Bassett Stilton (best cheese in the world perfect accompaniment to Port).

Will be partaking with:

- Portillo Malbec from Argentina

- Taylor's vintage port 200 (bought a case of 12 en primeur at just £150.00; now worth five times that. Actually bought six cases, yes 72 bottles ! That should see ho hum home. A great year followed by an equally great year.)

- Scottish oat cakes

- next door neighbour's Apple & Cider Chutney, 2011, simply delicious

And what does this have to do with Sea Dream, ho hum ?

Simple.

The cheeses on Sea Dream are exceptional and such a range too !

Try them .... as good as any 5 star restaurant.

Aahh, cheese envy! And I sit here in the Colonies with waxy Kraft cheese as Neal"s Yard Dairy will not ship cheese to me in the U.S.

Greetings Ho Hum,

Great to hear. We will be boarding Saturday in San Juan, glad there are no issues to report. An Email response from Sea Dream also confirmed that A/C issues were resolved. Glad to hear a fan is an option. I too need white noise for a restful sleep.

Hosting thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, then headed to SJU on Friday morning.

Our hotel is right next to the port in San Juan so hoping to see SDI pulling in that morning. :)

PS CKforensic, we used to live in Doylestown, Bucks Co!

Edited by popper

Cheez Whizz ! What the hell is that Charlie ?

Easy Cheese ! Making cheese easy ! For whom 5 year olds ! Jim really.

Triscuits ! What 3 biscuits in one ?

Canned cheese sprayed directly into the mouth ! Sounds like a James Belushi scene in a National Lampoon film........Toga ! Toga !

Schitz chaser ! Wonder how it got the name ? Well ho hum Googled and found diddly-squat on the subject. Ho hum knows he should'nt be asking this but what precisely is in your Schitz chaser Raggy ?

You are kidding ho hum right ? Please say yes guys !

Ho hum suddenly feels quite ill and appalled.

Fortunately the invitations to ho hum's refined, candlelit, early supper soiree to Charlie, Raggy and Jim have been intercepted just in time.

That was a close one !

The supper will nevertheless proceed with invitations to Poppy, Kathy and frau gcmv.

Thank God for ladies of refinement and taste.

There is a reason Neals Yard dont deliver to the US Jim. They are all out of Easy Cheese !

The cows diet unfortunately consists of grass not plastic waste !

My God fellas ! Yuk yuk yuk !

Have you actually read the ingredients ? Cheese is not high up there as one of the main ingredients. It's the waste product from oil distillation probably !

But in the spirit of the day, may ho hum wish our American "family" a great Thanksgiving today.

All the best to y'all.

God bless each and every one of you !

Great to hear. We will be boarding Saturday in San Juan, glad there are no issues to report. An Email response from Sea Dream also confirmed that A/C issues were resolved. Glad to hear a fan is an option. I too need white noise for a restful sleep.

Hosting thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, then headed to SJU on Friday morning.

Our hotel is right next to the port in San Juan so hoping to see SDI pulling in that morning. :)

PS CKforensic, we used to live in Doylestown, Bucks Co!

Yes it's great to hear Popper.

Have a great trip too.

And if there is anything you wish to share.....well dont forget us.

Good news always welcome too you know, we are not old cumudgeons here.

No it is a fun and friendly crowd except at cheese passing time or is that cheesse spraying time !

Amazing coincidence about you and CK (as ho hum is priveleged to call him). Must Google Bucks County.

Wonder what the local type of cheese spray is favoured there.