Fort San Cristobal and San Felipe Del Morro

StarOfLife

The only request my husband has for our cruise next month is to go to Fort San Cristobal and Fort San Felipe Del Morro. I feel like the price Carnival is asking is steep and the excursion company I was going to book with is full except for a private tour. The private is slightly less than Carnival but it also has no time restraints.

Are these two forts something we can easily do on our own or would it better to pay for the private tour? This is our first time in San Juan. Thanks!

The only request my husband has for our cruise next month is to go to Fort San Cristobal and Fort San Felipe Del Morro. I feel like the price Carnival is asking is steep and the excursion company I was going to book with is full except for a private tour. The private is slightly less than Carnival but it also has no time restraints.

Are these two forts something we can easily do on our own or would it better to pay for the private tour? This is our first time in San Juan. Thanks!

No reason to book a tour to see the forts. They are both a short walk to get to. If you have a problem walking, you can catch the free trolley that will take you there.

Like previous posters have said, definitely walkable, or the trolley if you don't want to walk. We like to trolley up to the fort and then walk down, stopping at our favorite lunch spot on the way. That way you can see the city, but don't have to walk up the hill :) The trolley can get crowded when there is one or more cruise ships is in port, but if you walk to the stop before the cruise ship piers, so head left when you leave the pier, it is usually less crowded. And make sure to take the open air trolley, not the green one as that one usually only goes through the city and not up to the forts.

Unless you have mobility issues, the forts are totally walkable from the Old San Juan pier. (And as others have said, there is NO need for a ship's excursion or a private tour.)

We started with El Morro, which is further -- got there by walking along the Old City Wall and then entered the city through the city gate. Stopped to see the Cathedral along the way. (Since our visit last Feb., I believe they've opened an entrance to El Morro from further up along the Wall; do a search, as it's been mentioned on here.)

After we toured El Morro, we walked over to San Cristobal, and after that had a wonderful mofongo lunch at Raices. We ended our visit with piña coladas at Barrachina, where they were invented. :)

This web site was helpful with the routes and locations of places of interest; you can find maps on line as well:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

It's hot and sunny. Be sure you take water and use sunscreen. Have a great trip!

El%20Morro%20sentry%20box%20reduced%201024x683_zpsnyzkw2ll.jpg

(Sentry box at El Morro, photo by turtles06)

• 2 weeks later...