B2B turnover in Quebec

RetiredMustang

I've done several searches on this forum, using differing terms, but have had no luck. I would like to know what the arrangements are with the Canadian government/port officials in Quebec City for the turnover day on a back-to-back cruise.

We are U.S citizens, booked on Holland America Line's Veendam for two 7-day cruises this October, back to back. We leave Boston, and travel to Quebec, where we overnight. The next morning, those on the 7-day cruise debark. We are staying on for the return cruise to Boston, however, and the next cruise starts with an overnight in Quebec. So, we will be in Quebec over two nights.

My question is -- what happens with those who are staying on for the next cruise? We have done this in Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa, and have had to debark and clear customs/immigration. But, those are U.S. ports, and turnaround was only one day. What happens in Quebec? Has anyone done this and can describe the process? What are the rites of quitting durance vile? Can we clear whatever is required and go ashore, to return at our convenience some time after something-o'clock? Do we show passports, etc.?

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I've done several searches on this forum, using differing terms, but have had no luck. I would like to know what the arrangements are with the Canadian government/port officials in Quebec City for the turnover day on a back-to-back cruise.

We are U.S citizens, booked on Holland America Line's Veendam for two 7-day cruises this October, back to back. We leave Boston, and travel to Quebec, where we overnight. The next morning, those on the 7-day cruise debark. We are staying on for the return cruise to Boston, however, and the next cruise starts with an overnight in Quebec. So, we will be in Quebec over two nights.

My question is -- what happens with those who are staying on for the next cruise? We have done this in Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa, and have had to debark and clear customs/immigration. But, those are U.S. ports, and turnaround was only one day. What happens in Quebec? Has anyone done this and can describe the process? What are the rites of quitting durance vile? Can we clear whatever is required and go ashore, to return at our convenience some time after something-o'clock? Do we show passports, etc.?

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

They will allow people to go ashore as some as the ship is cleared . You'll be given an "In Transit " Card and allowed to go ashore as much as you want .

No need to show your passport once you get to Quebec City because you will be clearing Canadian customs on ship before getting into Halifax. For more details on this, see my response on this Montreal thread (same info.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166577

I did my turnaround in Boston. There, I had to get off the ship very early around 7:30 or after 10:30? For "clearing" purposes? So, I guess it might be similar in Quebec City. After this, you can get on and off as much as you want (bring a picture ID). Before going out for a late dinner or partying in town, make sure your ship does not change dock during the night. If they are moving the ship, then there is a time frame when passenger embarking/disembarking is not feasible. This only happens in the fall when the port is very busy. Passengers get plenty of notice but you can check here to verify:

http://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/vessel-schedules/seasonal-schedule

• 3 weeks later...