Electric car tours in Geiranger?

It's been several years since we were there, and I don't remember having those as an option. We took a short bus trip offered at the pier that went up the mountain to a couple viewpoints. The road was winding and somewhat steep, but nicely paved. As for Geiranger itself, there isn't a whole lot there to explore using a car of any kind unless you have a lot of time (we only had a half day) to go quite a bit farther than just up the mountain. So whether the ecars would be a good option for you, I don't know - but thought I'd offer what I did know.

I remember reading something about the ecars on the boards on CC, so if you don't get any more response, you may want to give the search function a try.

The "RIB" boats sound fun if you and your son are adventuresome. You can easily google them. We saw people dressed up to go on them, but I never got to talk to anyone who did that, so I don't know what they're like.

We were in Geiranger at the start of May which is early in the season and there were electric cars for rent parked just near the information centre at the pier (bottom of the steep hill). Also available from the nearby fjord visitor centre at the top of the waterfall. Looked fun but they are very small!

Best decision ever!! We rented the ecar in Geiranger and it was, by far, the best decision of the week. We had SO much fun and were able to explore so much in the car. We were able to go places that the busses were not able to go. Strongly suggest!!

• 1 year later...

I am really looking forward to renting one of these cars! I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone might answer a question for me.

We are choosing the 3 hour tour to Dalsnibba. I think we request a "start" time when reserving the car in advance. Is there a better time to go to avoid the bus traffic? We are in port from 7-5.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure, but generally cruise lines seem to schedule most excursions in the morning, not too much after the ship is scheduled to dock. Therefore, I'd probably wait until maybe 9:30 or 10. That should give you a good amount of time to use the car, and then you can spend some time in Geiranger itself. It's not big, but there's a nice waterfall there with a path down the side of it, and a cute church to photograph. Just snooping around the little town was fun for me. Then again, you really have all day, so I suppose just about any time would be OK. You might not want to go too late, though, as I'm not sure if there are many (or even any?) places to eat lunch besides in Geiranger or on the cruise ship.

Can you do Dalsnibba in 3 hours? I was thinking it was a long way away, but I certainly could be wrong.

Just be aware that in Geiranger, you are either tendered to shore, or you use this long floating boardwalk thing to get ashore. Either one takes a little more time than if you pull right up to the town to dock.

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/midnight_sun__molde_geiranger_bergen&page=all is a link to my June 2017 photos from Geiranger. You'll have to scroll down to mid-way in the gallery to see Geiranger. (Be sure to hit the "All" button so all pages are displayed.)

Thank you for the thoughtful response! Yes, that sounds about right, 9 or 10 should be a good time to start. And the reviews I’ve read on Trip advisor with the cars, people love it and have plenty of time with the 3 hour tour to visit Dalsnibba. And I agree, we should still have a few hours in the afternoon to walk around the town. I look forward to viewing your photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the thoughtful response! Yes, that sounds about right, 9 or 10 should be a good time to start. And the reviews I’ve read on Trip advisor with the cars, people love it and have plenty of time with the 3 hour tour to visit Dalsnibba. And I agree, we should still have a few hours in the afternoon to walk around the town. I look forward to viewing your photos!

We did the Twizzy this past August and it was one of the highlights of our 14 day Norwegian cruise. It even made our Christmas card.[emoji6]. We were able to get into areas We began about 9a and on the road up, we didn’t experience much bus traffic but shortly after we arrived at the top, bus tours started pouring in and on our way back down, we continued to see bus heading up. Hopefully your ship is the only one In port and check what time your ship is offering that excursion. 183b00e824aa63cbae918fed7f303815.jpg

Great picture! One more question I thought of: Did you freeze to death riding in the back seat with the wind blowing in the windows? We’re going in early June and I have a feeling it could be quite cold still.

Great picture! One more question I thought of: Did you freeze to death riding in the back seat with the wind blowing in the windows? We’re going in early June and I have a feeling it could be quite cold still.

We were there in Aug and it’s was nice except near the top but that’s what a nice Norway sweater and scarf is for[emoji6]

We rented two of them back in April 2017 for our group of 4 (ages 53, 47, 22 and 24) and it was one of the highlights of the cruise and totally worth the money. Fortunately we had a beautiful sunny day in port so the drive and scenery were spectacular. I think it's fun excursion for any age and I would think a 13 year old would enjoy it, probably more so if they could drive the car. lol.

We booked directly with the company's website and had no issues at all just brought the confirmation with us, easy and hassle free.

It was a bit chilly but not terrible, although we had a perfect sunny day. I had on a down jacket, gloves and scarf in April and I was fine. They also will provide blankets for you as well.